Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 07:29 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ Agree with him, brought one this christmas and love it so far

Old 12-29-2013, 09:53 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
I don't know guys, I'm not a computer nerd but the ol lady rides herd on over 50,000 units and most are laptops. All they buy that can stand up to the daily grind they get in the education field is HP. Dell won't even pass their tabletop testing. But then I agree to disagree with anything you say provided I'm not responsible and you are....but only on Monday nights if the cows don't come home and MGDFan is buying drinks......yeah, that's gonna happen.
Okay - yall are gonna have to translate that. I suspect ye bin drankin', as that is more nonsensical than yer norm.

I been known to buy a drank 'er three

BTW, my 'herd' was 250K+ units globally - a mix of Dell, HP and Lenovo ( with a relatively small fleet of Panasonic Toughbooks). These are business & industrial-class machines, and used in some purty unimaginable environments - Toughbooks in the very worst.

Fewer issues with Dell and Lenovo than HP according to our support database. The Toughbooks, as expected, have been bulletproof.

All running Win 7 Enterprise.

Oh, boy, did this thread take a left turn . Did anyone think to ask the OP if his original Q was adequately answered? *Sigh* ... leave it to me ... Yo - Mr. Miseroth, sir - may we please have an update? Thankee!

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 12-29-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
HP laptops are NOT reliable. For that use you really need an i5 and a discrete video card.

You aren't going to find anything like that for 350 bucks.
I will disagree on this, Have had best of luck with Hp's and Dell's

Guess im just screwed. First i have a ecoboost and i like HP.. Go ahead and Ban me

Old 12-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just choose a laptop with an i5 or better and current gen discrete graphics. integrated graphics suck, and if you're worried about reliability, just get Best Buy's warranty... They lose money on every computer they sell (profiting only from the warranties,) so I think it's worth having.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
It's not the proc that's the bottleneck here ( it's a 4th gen i3 @ 2.4Ghz ) nearly as much as that game's optimal video card requirements are demanding.

Intel embedded graphics will not produce great framerates at higher resolutions with those demands.

However you will see an improvement over that 5 year old Dell desktop in every measure, no question, if that is yer reference.
The truth. The i3 will be fine, it's the graphics and the ram that will come into play long before anything else.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Okay - yall are gonna have to translate that. I suspect ye bin drankin', as that is more nonsensical than yer norm.

I been known to buy a drank 'er three

BTW, my 'herd' was 250K+ units globally - a mix of Dell, HP and Lenovo ( with a relatively small fleet of Panasonic Toughbooks). These are business & industrial-class machines, and used in some purty unimaginable environments - Toughbooks in the very worst.

Fewer issues with Dell and Lenovo than HP according to our support database. The Toughbooks, as expected, have been bulletproof.

All running Win 7 Enterprise.

Oh, boy, did this thread take a left turn . Did anyone think to ask the OP if his original Q was adequately answered? *Sigh* ... leave it to me ... Yo - Mr. Miseroth, sir - may we please have an update? Thankee!

MGD
Update on my question/purchase - the game specs I provided (for Total War: Rome II) were an example only and not the main reason for buying this laptop. This game was successfully loaded on our relatively new desktop (which easily met the recommended requirements).
I appreciate all of the replies and advice. I did indeed get enough info to finally decide to go ahead with the purchase (as well as 1 year replacement). We looked at the store and the 17.3" screen looked amazing and this will not really be a laptop that is carried around so the large screen won't be a problem.
It is running Windows 8, which is not really an issue for us, and I will be loading the full Microsoft Office suite on it so the little monsters can use it for school (although they will probably use it mostly for those unbelievably boring youtube videos and playing Minecraft).

Once again, thanks for all the replies and Happy New Year!

Old 12-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi & thankee fer the feedback!

All this Geek Testosterone is somethin', eh?

If'n we don't cross paths agin fer a time, Happy New Year to yall!

MGD

Originally Posted by miseroth
Update on my question/purchase - the game specs I provided (for Total War: Rome II) were an example only and not the main reason for buying this laptop. This game was successfully loaded on our relatively new desktop (which easily met the recommended requirements).
I appreciate all of the replies and advice. I did indeed get enough info to finally decide to go ahead with the purchase (as well as 1 year replacement). We looked at the store and the 17.3" screen looked amazing and this will not really be a laptop that is carried around so the large screen won't be a problem.
It is running Windows 8, which is not really an issue for us, and I will be loading the full Microsoft Office suite on it so the little monsters can use it for school (although they will probably use it mostly for those unbelievably boring youtube videos and playing Minecraft).

Once again, thanks for all the replies and Happy New Year!

Old 12-30-2013, 01:23 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You may want to do the free Windows 8.1 upgrade to give you more traditional desktop functionality. I think the standard Windows 8 desktop was designed by Fisher-Price.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
...<snip>... All they buy that can stand up to the daily grind they get in the education field is HP. Dell won't even pass their tabletop testing. ...<snip>...
Having worked at the H bomb fairly recently, about the only ones that purchase HP computers are ones that also have HP servers, storage and maybe networking, to get a larger discount.

HP "tabletop testing" is the combined quote on who has the largest discount.

When I worked there I still bought lenovo for my personal use.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:15 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I generally recommend Asus for home use and gaming, Lenovo for business use, and Panasonic Toughbook for extreme field use. I've gotten away from Dell, but they do make some decent laptops. Won't touch Acer/Gateway or HP/Comcrap with a 10 foot pole.

Quick Reply: !!!Quick Computer (Laptop) Question!!!