Job hunt advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 12:08 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
If I were looking to get into the oil industry, I would NOT move to Austin -- Houston, San Antonio or Dallas is where I would go! Also, keep in mind that Austin is fairly expensive as far as cost of housing is concerned -- you will get a lot more bang for your buck in the other areas mentioned. However, if you originally hail from the Boston area, you might like Austin better politically -- lot's of goofball "Lefties" running around thinking they will make the world better by telling you all the things you cannot do!

Old 05-03-2014, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddellwo
However, if you originally hail from the Boston area, you might like Austin better politically -- lot's of goofball "Lefties" running around thinking they will make the world better by telling you all the things you cannot do!
And this is precisely why I went to A&M instead of UT . . . Other'n that it's a great place!

Old 05-03-2014, 02:07 PM
I would say also look in relevant LinkedIn groups, they have many job announcement.s

Old 05-03-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I lean Right Another reason I want to get away from this area. None of my people ever get elected. All corrupt though, country is a disgrace in politics today.

The oil industry has my interest, however I am not looking to be a physical laborer. That's a dangerous profession, but working for a company doing something... hell yeah.

I think some sales route is the way I need to go... I got a hold of a friends contact with Enterprise so that would be a good stepping stone.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by PawPaw
Maybe law enforcement?
Not really my style, I'd probably scare everyone down there. I'd pull over every Ecotooter starting with you and Coy!

Old 05-03-2014, 05:02 PM

As the only Mass-hole in existence that listens to Red Dirt, I figured you had to lean right a little bit

Old 05-04-2014, 06:52 AM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Not really my style, I'd probably scare everyone down there. I'd pull over every Ecotooter starting with you and Coy!
You'd be a great officer!

Last edited by PawPaw; 05-04-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:57 AM

Ok another update. Reached out to the guys I interviewed with at Grainger on Linkedin. Hope to hear back.

Found a local Electronics company that does harnesses, wiring etc for small, medium and government accounts. Shot them an email out last night for a buyer position that they had and they got back to me saying the paying is hourly gave me the pay rate. Asked if I was still interested to interview. Pay is pretty decent and it looks like an interesting company. Very close to home to! V-Tron Electronics Corp

And My uncle is checking into things at UPS for me. Not a bad 24 hours lol

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 05-05-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Any city or area in the eastern half of the state is a good location. In my opinion, you have to love the dry, wide open country to want to live in cities such as Abilene, San Angelo, Midland, Odessa, Lubbock, Amarillo and El Paso. I spent 26 years in Abilene and sometimes wonder why.
That why i like West Texas.. Dont have to deal with all the uptight city slickers .. If I wanna go to the big city then jump in the truck and within 2 to 3 hrs Im in Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth.

Around here you wave at people, talk to strangers and after about 5 mins you are considered friends.. Leave the keys in your truck and run into the store. Not have to worry about it being gone. Pull off the paved road and take off down a county dirt road for miles and miles drinking a cold beer. Drive your Atv to the store. Just good ol country folks..

And we havent locked the doors to the house in 7 years.. I dont even know where the keys are to lock the doors

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 05-05-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:55 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd pull over every Ecotooter starting with you and Coy!
It would take more than a V6 Charger to catch our ecobeasts

Old 05-06-2014, 10:45 AM
I think sending John to West Texas would be a little too much!

Last edited by PawPaw; 05-06-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:50 AM

Too much for all the ladies to take in at once!

Old 05-06-2014, 10:53 AM
Too much for all the ladies to take in at once!
Especially when you learn how to dance!

Old 05-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
That why i like West Texas.. Dont have to deal with all the uptight city slickers .. If I wanna go to the big city then jump in the truck and within 2 to 3 hrs Im in Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth.

Around here you wave at people, talk to strangers and after about 5 mins you are considered friends.. Leave the keys in your truck and run into the store. Not have to worry about it being gone. Pull off the paved road and take off down a county dirt road for miles and miles drinking a cold beer. Drive your Atv to the store. Just good ol country folks..

And we havent locked the doors to the house in 7 years.. I dont even know where the keys are to lock the doors
I'm from south GA and currently in college and am staying in the country for those exact things. I can't stand cities or city people lol

Old 05-08-2014, 02:16 PM

Ok another update. Reached out to the guys I interviewed with at Grainger on Linkedin. Hope to hear back.

Found a local Electronics company that does harnesses, wiring etc for small, medium and government accounts. Shot them an email out last night for a buyer position that they had and they got back to me saying the paying is hourly gave me the pay rate. Asked if I was still interested to interview. Pay is pretty decent and it looks like an interesting company. Very close to home to! V-Tron Electronics Corp

And My uncle is checking into things at UPS for me. Not a bad 24 hours lol

Got the Job at V-Tron! Offered me the job on the spot and we were both very excited! Seems like a great company and he said that he had never hired someone on the spot like that before With my degree he maxed out my starting pay and the hours are 8-4:30 Mon-Friday so I am in awesome shape!

I really want to thank everyone here. I have to put a huge shout out to BrotherDave. Gave me such great advice on where to look and it all came together. Still kind of in shock he hired me so fast.

Quick Reply: Job hunt advice?