Job hunt advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 10:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PawPaw
Isn't Fastenal based out of Minnesota...I use to deal with the store in Belle Chasse, La. They changed salesmen more then I changed my drawer's!
Yeah it's headquartered in Winona, MN.

And they do have a revolving door reputation Most guys end up getting recruited by one of the customers they're out seeing

Old 04-18-2014, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PawPaw
Isn't Fastenal based out of Minnesota...I use to deal with the store in Belle Chasse, La. They changed salesmen more then I changed my drawer's!
Umm WTF . . . I want a new truck and a friggin boat by age 25

Old 04-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Umm WTF . . . I want a new truck and a friggin boat by age 25
Ha, well just make sure you don't knock anybody up and you should be fine

Old 04-18-2014, 12:21 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I have to do a drive bye post, so I will respond to you all later but just a quick update.

Phone interview went great. I have to do an assessment then I think if they want you, they interview you at the branch.

Perks are impressive.

-Pay is pretty good and upwards for 50k if you meet your goals.
-Paid company vehicle (insurance and gas all paid for) iphone, and laptop.

It sounds like a great job. It's outside sales and she said my area is very well established. She said I'd have 200+ accounts to start.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by JohnBoy88
Ha, well just make sure you don't knock anybody up and you should be fine
THAT is a damn good point

Well that got good fast! Not getting ahead of myself/ourselves, but the Grainger recommendation was a good one. Those perks are pretty darn good.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by KMAC0694
THAT is a damn good point

Well that got good fast! Not getting ahead of myself/ourselves, but the Grainger recommendation was a good one. Those perks are pretty darn good.
No one actually mentioned it. I looked them up but brotherdave said to check that industry. I wouldn't have thought of them unless he said that.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
No one actually mentioned it. I looked them up but brotherdave said to check that industry. I wouldn't have thought of them unless he said that.
Oh, well that's close enough for me. But either way, I hope you get the job

Old 04-21-2014, 06:05 PM

Well, got called back. In person with manager on Wednesday just news to set up the time. Gotta study up a buy more.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:07 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Well, got called back. In person with manager on Wednesday just news to set up the time. Gotta study up a buy more.
That's good new's John...wishing you the best of luck!

Old 04-22-2014, 01:33 AM

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2014, 08:05 PM
John, good luck man!!

Old 04-25-2014, 04:59 PM

Thanks everyone! Just waiting to hear back. I felt I did OK, but I have no clue what I'm up against.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if it dosent work out i have few industrial supply names i will throw at you. dont forget that there are several 1 location, industrial supplies. just have to start looking.

hd supply
fastenal
looking into to see if there is a mcjunkin redman or a national oil well varco NOV any where you would go.

also consider safety supply companies.

there again, get in a need industry, not a want industry and get into a 5 day a week field, not nights and weekends.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
if it dosent work out i have few industrial supply names i will throw at you. dont forget that there are several 1 location, industrial supplies. just have to start looking.

hd supply
fastenal
looking into to see if there is a mcjunkin redman or a national oil well varco NOV any where you would go.

also consider safety supply companies.

there again, get in a need industry, not a want industry and get into a 5 day a week field, not nights and weekends.
Appreciate that, Dave. I check fastenal periodically... ill check those others out. Greatly appreciate d

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 04-26-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Job Search Advice

My job hunt is just about to come to a close. I'll be deciding on which company I will work for by tomorrow afternoon. I'm also a Senior and I am getting a BBA in Management & Marketing.

I'm fortunate to have gone to a professional selling competition and met companies there. I learned a few things from there as well as from watching others job hunt for months with no avail.

My advice:
-Be on Linkedin
I bought premium for my job search. It's worth it. You can message recruiters directly. Apply for a job, find who is in charge, and pursue them. LinkedIn is an amazing tool. Apply to jobs on the website and follow up.

-Network
Ask people you know to keep an ear out for openings. Especially people with already established careers (aka parents friends, professors...). They want to help you and want to see you succeed. Use them as a resource.

If there is any career fairs in your area at all, go to them. Get business cards and network with everyone on linkedin. I picked up about 75 people's contact info from various Fortune 500 companies during my professional selling career fair, and a number of job offers from them.

-STAND OUT
Every job posting gets hundreds of applicants, what makes yours better? Be the one who emails and calls before/after applying and after interviews. Connect with people in the position you want and ask advice etc. Go above and beyond. Because no one wants to hire a run-of-the-mill employee, they want a Rockstar. Show them that you are one.

Good luck, there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Quick Reply: Job hunt advice?