Just bought my first house.... Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm scared to death of snakes also, I turn into a little girl when one's around Since you mentioned having a dog around I got to thinking, I use to always see snakes around my house. I'd chase them down with the tractor when mowing to kill them. I'd see a dozen + a year.

Ever since I got my Black Lab 3 years ago I've only seen two snakes in total. One was a Gardener Snake and one was actually a 5-7' black snake that was spread across my driveway and I couldn't see his head because it was in weeds. I went to get a shovel and by time I came back it was gone and I've never seen it again.

You might be on to something with getting a dog. Even if it doesn't scare away the snakes they're good pets.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MTM Ford
I'm scared to death of snakes also, I turn into a little girl when one's around Since you mentioned having a dog around I got to thinking, I use to always see snakes around my house. I'd chase them down with the tractor when mowing to kill them. I'd see a dozen + a year.

Ever since I got my Black Lab 3 years ago I've only seen two snakes in total. One was a Gardener Snake and one was actually a 5-7' black snake that was spread across my driveway and I couldn't see his head because it was in weeds. I went to get a shovel and by time I came back it was gone and I've never seen it again.

You might be on to something with getting a dog. Even if it doesn't scare away the snakes they're good pets.
I have to be honest, I never saw my dog killing any snakes and/or carrying their bodies around... I just didn't see any snakes. I don't know if she was killing them or just somehow or another keeping them away.

Plus, I'm slightly antisocial and would like to have another dog.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Good afternoon all... just finished up with some yard work and took some photos... WOW!! what a difference.

I still have a LOT of painting and yard work to do... However, it's coming...

Enjoy.

Listing photo:

After destroying my yard:

Current front yard:

After about a month of living in the house (dont have a listing photo), back yard:

And the current back yard:

The house still needs to be painted... all of the black trim/doors will be white. I am replacing the four sets of french doors on the left on the front... they will all be windows similiar to the windows on the far right of the front yard.

I was just so proud to see a such a change and had to show it off. I'm only 20 and have dumped all of my time into this .

I used weed-n-feed to kill the weeds. I started fertilizing and watering at 0600, 1000, and 1400 for 5 minutes a zone, every day.

Thanks guys.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Also, i just painted the front doors all different shades of white... i spilled the last one and ran out of paint. The shade of white on the door farthest to the right is what i chose and will start painting next weekend.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:01 AM
Looking good, Congrats on the house and good job cleaning it up.

Did you remove that tree that's on the left of the before picture in the back yard?

Old 08-11-2013, 01:59 AM

Looking good! Front yard looks really nice and tidy, and you definitely did a lot of work on the grass in the backyard!

Old 08-11-2013, 07:12 AM
Looks good. One thing I would suggest is to water a bit longer so you are watering deeper. This allows the roots to grow deeper and provides a bit more drought protection.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by 08stx4x4
Looking good, Congrats on the house and good job cleaning it up.

Did you remove that tree that's on the left of the before picture in the back yard?
Nope. I did clean up the trees in the back, but that one is still there. I must have been standing a few feet up.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by 1depd
Looks good. One thing I would suggest is to water a bit longer so you are watering deeper. This allows the roots to grow deeper and provides a bit more drought protection.
Copy that.

It really is a work in progress. I really want to paint, I think that will make a huge difference.

Thanks guys.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Anybody have any opinions on watering methods for a recovering yard in the summer? I am on a well so I can water as much as I want.

Currently, as previously said, I water every day for five minutes a zone, 6 zones, at 0600, 1000, and 1400.

Thanks.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:38 AM
Keep the 0600 watering, but I'd do it 15-20 minutes. Lose the 10:00 am watering. Most of the water is evaporating and you risk "burning"" the grass so they say. It kind of makes sense. Your water droplets work as magnifying glasses and intensify the sun's heat on your plants. Move the 1400 watering to 1800-1900 for 10-15 minutes. This gives the sun time to not be so intense and the heat of the day to drop slightly. At the same time it is still warm enough for the water to dry and not cause rot. Much of the water from this watering will be evaporating.

The preferred time for watering is in the morning. This gives the water time to sit on the roots for absorptiono but to dry out before fungus or rot sets in. The watering in the evening is to replenish some of the water lost during the heat of the day.

Quick Reply: Just bought my first house.... Need help!