Ordering F150, specifying factory?

Old 01-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering F150, specifying factory?

Is there anyway that a dealer can request an F150 that is ordered for a customer to be built at a specific factory?

I'm ordering an F150 Supercrew Lariat shortbox and would really prefer it to be built at the Dearborn plant. Does a dealer have anyone they can call once they place an order or prior to in order to make that happen?

Call it nostalgia or whatever but it is just a strong personal preference with buying my first Ford that it be Michigan made. When I ordered my BMW I was able to have the dealer specify the factory with out a problem.

Thanks!

Old 01-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I believe mine came from there. If im not mistaken that may be where they are all made. There could be another assembly plant for those further west but not sure. The Kentucky plant was making the super dutys i think.

Posted from F150online.com App for Android

Old 01-26-2013, 10:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my Mustang was built in Dearborn. My truck didnt come from there though. Cant remember where but it wasn't the Dearborn plant.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Dearborn 150's
Kansas City 150's
Kentucky ? I believe some of the F250's and up are built over there.

Engines,-
Windsor ehh or Romeo MI

That's what I recall, but I suppose things may have changed.

I don't see why you couldn't get one from the plant you prefer.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 AM
The sad part is now a lot of the parts are imported.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nate3420
The sad part is now a lot of the parts are imported.
There is not a vehicle made by any manufacture that is 100 percent American made. Ford actually has more operations located outside the United state then in country. Thing is though 95+ percent of the worlds population lives outside the United States. If a company wants to operate in the Global market place they have to be out there. Logic demands cars be assembled in the country there sold.. Thats why Toyota Nissan Honda etc manufacture most of there cars here. The United State has a future in competing for automobile jobs. The days of no competition are over though..

Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Build Tracking Moderator
Ask your dealer to find out which plant your truck would be build in, if he can, before ordering and/or include your preference in the sales agreement.

Or simply demand dearborn as a condition of your order. Not sure if they do the bedliner spray in dearborn yet, in case you want that option.

Scheduling usually sends build orders to plants closest to where the ordering dealer is located, to cut down on shipping charges, whenever possible

Last edited by SETCHAN; 01-27-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The F-150s are made in Dearborn or Kansas City. From what I have read the plants are set up to make certain models and options. A lot of where your truck will be made depends on how you option it.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:35 PM
WFO
You live iin Michigan, right?

Old 01-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Thanks all. Yup, I live in Michigan and for some reason I really want the truck coming out of the Dearborn factory. Once I finalize on a dealer for the order I'll put that in the sales agreement. I have to believe there is a way to force this. I'm seeing similar equipped F150's in our area coming from both plants.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
When I watched National Geographic's MegaFactories, the Dearborn plant made all makes and models from the XL all the way to Platinum, Raptor, and Limited

Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

When I ordered my Lariat the dealer really didn't say which plant until I started to make inquiries because it was taking so long. When it was delivered there was a big 'ole green oval sticker planted on the base of the windshirld on the passanger side that said "Dearborn Truck Plant" on the top. And on the bottom it said "Built Ford Tough with Rouge Pride". Three months after I got the truck the windshield got cracked from a large stone. When safelite came out to replace it I made sure that they put the sticker back on the new windshield. By the way, safelite did a terrible job. They chipped my paint on the top edge of the fender lip, on both sides, and left small glass shars all over my dash, console, seats and carpet. Never again...

Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Well, I ordered my truck today. The dealer is still checking with their regional rep to see if they can specify the factory. I'll do an update once I find out if they can do so.

The NatGeo program on the Dearborn factory was very cool. Hopefully that will be where mine is built. It is also much closer to the dealer so less time in transit along with less risk to damage in transit.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:05 PM
A quick update. I got word back from my dealer that the Ford rep said they cannot specify factory but there is about 75% chance it will be built at Dearborn with my location. Looking forward to seeing to it getting schedule and finding out, probably in a few days.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My STX came from Dearborn--I had the same windshield thing happen to me. My sticker couldn't be saved, though--I wonder if its something that can be ordered/replaced?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ordering F150, specifying factory?