Why welfare stinks!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by code58

It gets real depressing seeing a good number of folks standing on street corners holding up signs "Will work for food".

Problem is, half of those don't want anything to do with the "work" part of that equation and another third don't even want the food you bring 'em, they want the "GREEN"!
Well, there's always going to be a few scam artists out there. Don't let that cloud your mind, (unfortunately, you have). I'm not sure exactly what requirements are needed to request assistant, just that there are some set in place and that you have to prove your unable to work. Whether its a mental, physical or what ever.

Sure, the guy on the corner will take cash and use that to feed his family or maybe even purchase another blanket to keep his children from freezing at night. Huh, -maybe that's the type of reward dlsipe1 is referring to above?

Anyway, who in the hell would do that if there was any other choice?

That's why these threads suck. - Most will look at and thrive on ANYTHING that could possibly go wrong with any type of assistance program there is. Therefore crucify the ones that truly need help. These people by no means are looking for reward, they're trying to survive.

Play all this down as much as you want, but we have to help these people. There are other adverse effects if it's ignored, -which should be easy for most to figure out.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbrew
Well, there's always going to be a few scam artists out there. Don't let that cloud your mind, (unfortunately, you have). I'm not sure exactly what requirements are needed to request assistant, just that there are some set in place and that you have to prove your unable to work. Whether its a mental, physical or what ever.

Sure, the guy on the corner will take cash and use that to feed his family or maybe even purchase another blanket to keep his children from freezing at night. Huh, -maybe that's the type of reward dlsipe1 is referring to above?

Anyway, who in the hell would do that if there was any other choice?

That's why these threads suck. - Most will look at and thrive on ANYTHING that could possibly go wrong with any type of assistance program there is. Therefore crucify the ones that truly need help. These people by no means are looking for reward, they're trying to survive.

Play all this down as much as you want, but we have to help these people. There are other adverse effects if it's ignored, -which should be easy for most to figure out.
You should see it in Atlanta. I personally have seen a man get out of a Jaguar, walk into the restroom at a downtown hospital and change into some dirty, worn-out clothes and come out and panhandle. Was told by a hospital worker that he makes over $80,000/year panhandling.

Play all this up as much as you want, but able bodied people should receive limited (26 weeks) assistance. Studies have shown that when unemployment benefits are about to run out that people suddenly find work, whether it's 26 weeks, 99 weeks, or 3-5 years of 'benefits' in France.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Frank S
You should see it in Atlanta. I personally have seen a man get out of a Jaguar, walk into the restroom at a downtown hospital and change into some dirty, worn-out clothes and come out and panhandle. Was told by a hospital worker that he makes over $80,000/year panhandling.
Ha, well, I suppose it's possible.
Originally Posted by Frank S
Play all this up as much as you want, but able bodied people should receive limited (26 weeks) assistance. Studies have shown that when unemployment benefits are about to run out that people suddenly find work, whether it's 26 weeks, 99 weeks, or 3-5 years of 'benefits' in France.
Not playing w/that at all, I agree 100% (26 weeks and a minimum 14/16 weeks to even qualify). The Employment Security Commission has it,- you must be "able and available" to qualify for benefits anyway. So by collecting it, that's exactly what one is saying. Right, in this case, you better figure something out before your claim exhausts.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about realizing were you are. We live in a society that rewards success, - NOT failure. If there was an award for utter idiocy, you have my vote.
jbrew, it is completely your opinion as to what award I may receive. Trust me, I do realize where I am and I see what is happening in our country. However, you my friend, need to take a good hard look at the direction this great nation is taking. From what I am seeing, it is a turn for the worse in regards to our country's productivity. I will choose not to include personal insults.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:14 AM
Brew, My neighbor is a Viet Nam Marine Vet and a generally hard working responsible guy, but not long ago, at age 63, he told me he'd really like to just quit work and draw unemplyment for the 99 weeks till he could retire and draw SS and Med. I was speechless (likely wouldn't fly anyway) but as someone who never drew a dime of assistance in my life, to say the least, I was not impressed. You don't have to wonder why things are so screwed up with that kind of thinking. Also don't have to wonder who he voted for in Nov.! And yes, I do know who he voted for.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jbrew your naiveté is very sweet, but in the real world there are as many scammers as there are honest people. When I was working the streets I saw and dealt with these people daily. Many lower income people believe you have to scam to get ahead and think that is how the middle class and wealthy got to where they are. To tell you how bad it was where I worked. We had one particular section 8 apartment complex. When I started they had 96% occupancy and a lot of problems. two years later, they had 46% occupancy and very few problems. The difference was when I first started we would handle everything in house and refer to the courts what could be prosecuted. About six months after I started we changed how we dealt with people. If they were receiving government assistance and we found out there were people living there not on the lease they were reported to the housing authority. The result in 99.9% of the cases was the person lost their government assistance and were banned from the program for at least one year. Obviously not everyone living in the complex received assistance, not everyone in the complex receiving assistance was violating the program, and not everyone violating the program was involved in situations leading to us finding out they were violating the program.

I found a homeless camp and our policy was to mess up the camp at first to encourage the person to move on. If that didn't work we could go as far as removing all of the gear and either seizing it (as evidence) or throwing it away (as abandoned property). After tossing this camp I ran into the owner, who received a 10 minute butt chewing. When he decided he was going to fall back on the fact that he was a veteran from the '80's he received another 30 minute butt chewing of even more ferocity (more like a DI dress down) from a veteran. Three days later he stopped me and thanked me. He said he had forgotten what the military had taught him and I brought it all back. He had found a job and was getting back on his feet. He promised we would not have any more problems with him. Three years later (when I left the area) I still had not run into him again.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by dlsipe1
jbrew, it is completely your opinion as to what award I may receive. Trust me, I do realize where I am and I see what is happening in our country. However, you my friend, need to take a good hard look at the direction this great nation is taking. From what I am seeing, it is a turn for the worse in regards to our country's productivity. I will choose not to include personal insults.
I have to agree about the "hard look", since I really haven't in quite some time. It use to make me sick.

NO INSULTS! - Huh, good job, -I apologize.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:55 AM
jbrew-I don't think there is a soul here that would disagree with the fact there truly is a SMALL percentage of our population that must be carried by the rest. That is our responsibility as a society - and a responsibility that we should feel privileged that we have the means to do. We cannot overlook the fact that the system (government) that allocates the resources that go along with that responsibility has allowed that system to be abused at an epidemic level. In fact whether true or not, many people based their votes in the last presidential election on their perceptions- counting on that abuse to continue and perhaps increase. And who gets penalized for that abuse? Those of us who go out, find work, are willing to do jobs others may find demeaning, are personally responsible for putting food on the table for our families and a roof over their heads. That, my friend, is what I meant by systems that reward failure vs success. Perhaps I shouldn't have used such a broad stroke to paint the picture of my intended meaning on my first comment- but I have a feeling most folks got my intent. I don't think most who have responded here have a cold heart towards that small percentage who really do need our help - we are just damned tired of carrying the weight of so many who are quite capable of carrying themselves.

Posted from F150online.com App for Android

Old 01-12-2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by code58
Brew, My neighbor is a Viet Nam Marine Vet and a generally hard working responsible guy, but not long ago, at age 63, he told me he'd really like to just quit work and draw unemplyment for the 99 weeks till he could retire and draw SS and Med. I was speechless (likely wouldn't fly anyway) but as someone who never drew a dime of assistance in my life, to say the least, I was not impressed. You don't have to wonder why things are so screwed up with that kind of thinking. Also don't have to wonder who he voted for in Nov.! And yes, I do know who he voted for.
I collected unemployment every year, for at least 30 years, -but never for 99 weeks straight. I don't know about now, but not to long ago there were many out of work and even more waiting for legislation to pass another extension.
I worked seasonal, laid off for 2 months a year. Very fortunate, laid off around Dec first every year, engineers union cut us a vac check which was anywhere between 10-12 g, - depending upon hours worked. The layoff was like vacation, as it was set up to be. Getting by wasn't a concern, but with that, we were directed to file for compensation. That never felt quite right.

I agree, -that kind of thinking is bothersome. Like your cutting off the ones truly in need.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Old 01-12-2013, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 1depd
jbrew your naiveté is very sweet, but in the real world there are as many scammers as there are honest people. When I was working the streets I saw and dealt with these people daily. Many lower income people believe you have to scam to get ahead and think that is how the middle class and wealthy got to where they are. To tell you how bad it was where I worked. We had one particular section 8 apartment complex. When I started they had 96% occupancy and a lot of problems. two years later, they had 46% occupancy and very few problems. The difference was when I first started we would handle everything in house and refer to the courts what could be prosecuted. About six months after I started we changed how we dealt with people. If they were receiving government assistance and we found out there were people living there not on the lease they were reported to the housing authority. The result in 99.9% of the cases was the person lost their government assistance and were banned from the program for at least one year. Obviously not everyone living in the complex received assistance, not everyone in the complex receiving assistance was violating the program, and not everyone violating the program was involved in situations leading to us finding out they were violating the program.

I found a homeless camp and our policy was to mess up the camp at first to encourage the person to move on. If that didn't work we could go as far as removing all of the gear and either seizing it (as evidence) or throwing it away (as abandoned property). After tossing this camp I ran into the owner, who received a 10 minute butt chewing. When he decided he was going to fall back on the fact that he was a veteran from the '80's he received another 30 minute butt chewing of even more ferocity (more like a DI dress down) from a veteran. Three days later he stopped me and thanked me. He said he had forgotten what the military had taught him and I brought it all back. He had found a job and was getting back on his feet. He promised we would not have any more problems with him. Three years later (when I left the area) I still had not run into him again.
An interesting job you had, -Police authority, military, FBI, perhaps IPRD? And a homeless camp, -like a cue? Iduno, I've heard of Waldon Woods. I guess I am naive. Yea, I didn't realize it had come to that. People going out of there way to avoid an honest living. I believe what you saying without a doubt. What I don't understand is why this happened ? It seams like it would be more work w/less benefit. On top of that, if you get caught, there could be serious repercussions. There's much more reward with working toward and achieving goals. Once you succeed, who else would you rather be? A goal of dishonesty will usually always have the same outcome, = fail. You may get away with it, but you'll still have that rott gut guilt feeling. I was under the impression that we all learn this during childhood. Right, naive... Curious,- how many rebel camps are out there? With the statistics given, the simple and honest Joe is soon to be the minority.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by dlsipe1
jbrew-I don't think there is a soul here that would disagree with the fact there truly is a SMALL percentage of our population that must be carried by the rest. That is our responsibility as a society - and a responsibility that we should feel privileged that we have the means to do. We cannot overlook the fact that the system (government) that allocates the resources that go along with that responsibility has allowed that system to be abused at an epidemic level. In fact whether true or not, many people based their votes in the last presidential election on their perceptions- counting on that abuse to continue and perhaps increase. And who gets penalized for that abuse? Those of us who go out, find work, are willing to do jobs others may find demeaning, are personally responsible for putting food on the table for our families and a roof over their heads. That, my friend, is what I meant by systems that reward failure vs success. Perhaps I shouldn't have used such a broad stroke to paint the picture of my intended meaning on my first comment- but I have a feeling most folks got my intent. I don't think most who have responded here have a cold heart towards that small percentage who really do need our help - we are just damned tired of carrying the weight of so many who are quite capable of carrying themselves.
I am curious just how able bodied individuals qualify for assistance. There should be agency's or a job service to help those that can't seem to help themselves. Something of that nature IMO.

Well, I'll have to educate myself further on this. There's a lot that doesn't make sense.

I appreciate all the comments.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Many that avoid an honest living? ha! Many make careers of avoiding an honest living! And jbrew, seriously? You received a large lump sum check from your union prior to seasonal work outages and then were directed to file for unemployment by that same union?! And admittedly, getting by was not an issue? With all due respect, that whole scenario boils my blood. That was part of the last part of my first comment regarding unionization? Even you said something didn't feel right about that - I'm guessing it was easy to get caught up in that when everyone else around is doing it and the union endorses it. It is good that at least your conscience is giving you a nudge, but there truly is a messed up entitlement mentality in our society. These programs should be only for those very few who are TRULY unable to get by, not for those who think they are simply entitled to money from the government (aka money from every working stiff's pocket.) That's why we are in the mess we are in and driving down a path of destruction.

I realize that everyone's life experiences are how their viewpoints are formed. I was raised with a very different mentality, I guess.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:34 PM
I have often seen very able bodied individuals receive SSI because of a "mental disability." All they need us some doc to give them a DSM IV diagnosis. There's one way...and it's damn hard to prove against it.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
...What I don't understand is why this happened ? It seams like it would be more work w/less benefit. On top of that, if you get caught, there could be serious repercussions. There's much more reward with working toward and achieving goals. Once you succeed, who else would you rather be? A goal of dishonesty will usually always have the same outcome, = fail. You may get away with it, but you'll still have that rott gut guilt feeling. I was under the impression that we all learn this during childhood. Right, naive... Curious,- how many rebel camps are out there? With the statistics given, the simple and honest Joe is soon to be the minority.
There are families that have not had a job in generations. They have been steadily conditioned to expect everything they need from they government or mooch it off churches, care organizations etc. at this point they are not longer ashamed of being beggars and actually think it is society's duty to provide for them. They have never been pushed to be successful in their lives but were given a handout instead. They have traded success for good enough. This activity has been sponsored by politicians who have exploited these people and used public funds to pay for it all. In return they are voted back into office.

Quick Reply: Why welfare stinks!