2012 F150 V6 with EcoBoost or 2012 F150 V8?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, it would be between 3.5 and the 6.2. If you really love the growl of a V8, then 6.2 all day. If you like the modification for dollar costs of a turbo vehicle, then 3.5. Ultimately this is entirely up to what you need the truck for and what you like. If I had a 6.2 on the lot with the same accessories and style as my 3.5....I probably would have bought the 6.2. And that is ONLY because it would be nice to have a V8 "sound".

The earlier poster was right about giving it time, after the 3.5 has been in the F150 for 8 years or so, you'll have a real track record of twins. Remember as you get this "advice" and read a forum, people complain...they rarely tell you how amazing everything was There are plenty of endurance tests on the 3.5, so anyone claiming there aren't isn't up to date or lacks YouTube Again though, you need to decide what you need the truck for first and what your definition of "downgrade" is, must be cylinders because it isn't cost

Either way, Good Luck and happy Truckin'

Here is a mildy entertaining video of a 3.5 vs a 6.2 on the street: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rQL4-rKauY

Last edited by ryanwagner78; 12-27-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank S
But the problem is, from an engineering standpoint, an engine is stressed in a much different way when installed in a truck that tows and hauls thousands of pounds. An engine that will last 200,000 miles in a passenger car will not necessarily last as long in a pickup truck.
What's your point? The 5.0 was originally designed for the Mustang which last time I looked is a car. The EB in the truck has been significantly upgraded for this installation. The block is much stronger, the oil pan is deeper the bottom end is entirely forged. They didn't just take the motor out of a car and drop it into the truck engine bay.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Personally, I would rather just buy an STX 5.0 and turbo/supercharge it. Would cost less than an FX4 ecoboost and have more hp/torque with the V8 sound. I can live without all the bells and whistles the higher trim levels have.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Thank you very much for the replies! After doing some research, I was thinking about the 5.0L V8. I do a lot of towing back and forth for work and could use the power. My dad has got the 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel V8 in his F350 but I don't need that much power for what Im hauling. Plus, diesel fuel can get expensive. Planning on lifting it and putting bigger tires on it as well.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wookie
What's your point? The 5.0 was originally designed for the Mustang which last time I looked is a car. The EB in the truck has been significantly upgraded for this installation. The block is much stronger, the oil pan is deeper the bottom end is entirely forged. They didn't just take the motor out of a car and drop it into the truck engine bay.
The point I was trying to make was in my previous post. If you're happy with your Ecoboost, I am happy for you.

The oil pan being deeper and the forged bottom end doesn't add to the strength of the block. If the block is truly stronger, it will bear out in real world driving conditions with real customers such as yourself. I'm not going to be a beta tester or take Ford's word as gospel (or anyone else). If it proves to be durable-along with the bi-turbos-then I'll be happy to purchase one at a later date.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:27 PM
The point I was trying to make was in my previous post. If you're happy with your Ecoboost, I am happy for you.

The oil pan being deeper and the forged bottom end doesn't add to the strength of the block. If the block is truly stronger, it will bear out in real world driving conditions with real customers such as yourself. I'm not going to be a beta tester or take Ford's word as gospel (or anyone else). If it proves to be durable-along with the bi-turbos-then I'll be happy to purchase one at a later date.
By this logic you can not buy a 2011+ F-150 all of the engines are new.
The 3.7L started production in 2007
The 3.5L started production in 2006, then updated to the EB in 2009
The 5.0L started production in 2010
The 6.2L started production in 2010

The only one of these that wasn't used in a car first was the 6.2L but it is almost a completely new design and therefore can not be trusted. So how long and how many units must be produced before something can be trusted?

Old 12-27-2012, 04:32 PM
By this logic you can not buy a 2011+ F-150 all of the engines are new.
The 3.7L started production in 2007
The 3.5L started production in 2006, then updated to the EB in 2009
The 5.0L started production in 2010
The 6.2L started production in 2010

The only one of these that wasn't used in a car first was the 6.2L but it is almost a completely new design and therefore can not be trusted. So how long and how many units must be produced before something can be trusted?
Exactly. I won't be buying another new truck for another 1.5-2 years. At that time I will have a much better idea of reliability. Either way I'll be buying another Ford.

I hope you enjoy your Ecoboost and it gives you many years of reliable service.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:43 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

How did I know this thread would play out like this?

After test driving both (a lot), I went with the 5.0. No doubt that they're both great, powerful engines. One of the main deciding factors for me was that Ford is still relatively new when it comes to mass production of boosted (particularly twin turbo) gasoline engines with direct injection, etc.

Is the 2011+ version of the 5.0 "new"? Yep. But they've been making gasoline V8 engines for a very long time, and they've gotten very good at it. I've had several, and knock on wood, not a one has let me down over the years/miles. So, I went with that which I personally felt more comfortable.

Since then, I haven't been sorry or anything close to sorry one time.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:58 PM
That's another good point about forced induction dewser. I don't anticipate Ford having serious problems with the Ecoboost in the trucks longer term, but you never know. I'd hate to see anything happen that would jeopardize their sales lead or reputation with full-sized trucks.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:35 AM
That's another good point about forced induction dewser. I don't anticipate Ford having serious problems with the Ecoboost in the trucks longer term, but you never know. I'd hate to see anything happen that would jeopardize their sales lead or reputation with full-sized trucks.
Funny you mention that, you bought a FI Ford in the second model year but the EB is now in the third model year but not tested enough.

As an EB owner I would buy one again any day of the week and twice on Sunday. With right at 40k on the clock I can say this is the best motor I have had in an F-150 and I have bought 4 of them new. The EB will pull better than the old 5.4 would even thought it has a taller rear gear set. This is based on pulling the same trailer on the same roads with the same type cars on it. The EB will hold 6th gear where the 5.4 would be in 3rd and screaming. Yet it will get much best mileage of any of the 4 trucks I have owned.

Before I bought mine I had plenty of time to do the research and know what the motors were based on and capable of. I was able to drive one of the very first 5.0L trucks available in Texas on a completely unsupervised test drive. I was very impressed. The truck was fast and sounded great but I noticed it did not come alive until 4000RPM or so. Below that it would run but did not have authority. The next day I was able to drive an EB loaded to the gills on the roads around where I live. It completely blew me away even with the memory of the 5.0 very fresh in my memory. What sold me was when I took off like I was in my old KR with my boat behind me, except that night I was in a EB with a tractor behind me. When I hit the gas I lit the back end like the trailer wasn't even there. I was pushing the speed limit half way down the on ramp. The closest thing I can compare it to is my friend's Powerstroke. It drives and pulls like a diesel but burns 87 octane and will get an honest 20MPG on the highway.

Honestly you can not get a bad motor in a F-150 today. I think that is one reason why making the decision is hard. Figure out what you want a truck motor to do and then get the one that fits the bill. Want it to rev to make power, get the 5.0. Want it to pull like a diesel but be capable of great mileage get the EB. Want it to pull hard and be thirsty all the time, get the 6.2.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:50 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Honestly you can not get a bad motor in a F-150 today.

Want it to rev to make power, get the 5.0. Want it to pull like a diesel but be capable of great mileage get the EB.
The 5.0 makes very nice power throughout, but it really comes alive above 3K RPMs. It gets very nice gas mileage too, ya know?

Aside from the engines, a friend and I bought identically equipped trucks a month apart this year. His is the EB. We've "raced" a few times now ( ) and compared fuel economy regularly. He's averaging 18.2 mpg while I'm currently at 17.5. Not too shabby fer either one.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Sounds like the OP already made his pick based on responses, 5.0. Good for him! Enjoy it.

As for the continuous banter in regards to the V6 feeling the need to prove itself to the V8...if you want to see the crying about the 5.0 motor, just visit a Mustang forum. I'll say it again, forums are for crying not complementing haha.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:09 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Oh, I've done nothing but compliment my 5.0. Seems like I see more "crying" about the EB than the 5.0 anyway. It's unfortunate that issues have intermittently popped up with a few of the EB owners. At least it seems to be the same issue(s) surfacing in a relatively small number of units. Should be an easy fix once Ford gets a handle on it.

And I'm afraid the banter will be continuous on this debate. It's a GOOD thing, though. This just means Ford has put out some damn fine, strong-performing engines whose owners are damn proud of 'em.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by DewserB
Oh, I've done nothing but compliment my 5.0. Seems like I see more "crying" about the EB than the 5.0 anyway. It's unfortunate that issues have intermittently popped up with a few of the EB owners. At least it seems to be the same issue(s) surfacing in a relatively small number of units. Should be an easy fix once Ford gets a handle on it.

And I'm afraid the banter will be continuous on this debate. It's a GOOD thing, though. This just means Ford has put out some damn fine, strong-performing engines whose owners are damn proud of 'em.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:42 AM
The 3.7 6 is not that bad either. You only lose 30 horses from the 8 and it gets a little better gas mileage. Driven the 3.7, 5.0 and the 5.4 and to be honest the 3.7 feels just as good as any of those

Quick Reply: 2012 F150 V6 with EcoBoost or 2012 F150 V8?