F150 diesel coming soon?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrmar
^wtf?
Kinda what I was thinking. Many would rather have a small truck than a large one. Hence why the Ranger always sold so well. Only benefit to me for having full size truck is I can fit more people in it and later on maybe get me a camper. My '99 Ranger 3.0 with off road package was more than enough for my current towing needs. I could even upgrade to a larger boat than my 16' alumacraft I have now, and still have no issues. The global ranger, if made, from the pics I have seen, will have a supercrew like option. If they do make a Global Ranger with the full 4 door option for the US, that can get at least 30mpg, I will highly consider getting one. Twice the mileage, roughly, still be able to pull what I need it to, and fit at least 4-5 people. I would be willing to pay the $0.60 premium over gas for that.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha...when I posted that there was a spammer that posted the same incomprehensible message thrice in a row.

If you do a little looking, the Global Ranger is sold in markets where it is the biggest pickup. Next step up is to a COE type setup usually rated for 2 tons plus. The Americas seem to be unique in the size of our pickups, hence why the Tundra and Titan are only sold here and nowhere else.

I had the opportunity recently to compare the Ranger to some other vehicles in the Ford lineup. My company has a few late-model Rangers, all of them 4.0L auto, ext cab, 4x4 models. The fuel economy in that lovely beast is worse than my '01 F-150 5.4L and even worse than a limo-sized '09 F-250, also with a 5.4L. Given the platform limitations and technologies that were adapted for use on it, the Ranger long stopped being innovative and was long surpassed by its competition. I think towards the end the only reason it was such a popular fleet vehicle was because the fleet mechanics were so familiar with it repair times were at an all-time low!

At this point in time it would seem that the F-150 will be the smallest pickup available from Ford for a long time. Maybe the return of a Ranchero-like vehicle could capture the market previously occupied by the Ranger. It was, after all, the debut of the Courier that killed the Ranchero in the first place. But, for local businesses that used to use Rangers I'm seeing more and more Transit Connects buzzing around. Maybe a pickup on that platform?

Old 12-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw the spammer too.

Originally Posted by dewalt17
Kinda what I was thinking. Many would rather have a small truck than a large one. Hence why the Ranger always sold so well.
In its last few years sales hovered around 50k units and a considerable number were fleet sales which have a very low margin. If there would have been money to be made Ford would have redesigned it and kept it alive.

Only benefit to me for having full size truck is I can fit more people in it and later on maybe get me a camper. My '99 Ranger 3.0 with off road package was more than enough for my current towing needs. I could even upgrade to a larger boat than my 16' alumacraft I have now, and still have no issues.
Which is exactly why it was killed off. We have the F-150 and it costs about the same to make as the smaller Ranger. Buyers saw the capability difference between the two and opted for the F-150. The price for equal optioned trucks will be the same. You give up very little but gain a lot more flexibility

The global ranger, if made, from the pics I have seen, will have a supercrew like option. If they do make a Global Ranger with the full 4 door option for the US, that can get at least 30mpg, I will highly consider getting one. Twice the mileage, roughly, still be able to pull what I need it to, and fit at least 4-5 people. I would be willing to pay the $0.60 premium over gas for that.
There are quite a few other truck in this market that will not be coming to our shores. The economics just do not work out. We have the full size trucks as an option whereas the rest of the world does not. A few of the small trucks would sell but nowhere near enough to turn a long term profit. Look up the VW Amarok, it's another great little truck like the global Ranger. VW made the same decision as Ford in staying out of the small truck segment in North America.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:22 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Totally agree there, the connects are everywhere

Old 12-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Well the Ranger in it's small form may be gone but there are others here and coming to take it's place. Nissan is getting it's act together to bring the Navara (Frontier) over complete with diesel. Certs should be in place for a 2015 offering and possibly sooner. That should give the diesel Colorado fan boys something else to consider. Toyota has been working on a small diesel that should be US certifiable. Mules are already on the road around San Antonio in Tacos. That leaves Ford and Dodge with no offerings in that segment. GM is bringing diesels to the Silverado half ton. I doubt Ford is going to sit by and let GM take over the market when they have this 3.2 available especially when they have to justify the developmental/certification costs to shareholders. The 3.2 will have to come out in another platform, that you can count on. With 3.2 engine production from Africa and India, they're going to have a lot of them sitting, looking for a ride. Considering the engine design is for much lower emissions than are required around the world, it seems destined for the US shores, en masse.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
If they are going to certify it for the Transit, I'd bet they certify it for a pickup truck too.
I bet they don't. Ford already had and is using the 4.5L baby V6 PSD, but only in the commercial LCF trucks that don't have the same emissions requirements. ANY diesel they come out with is going to have such castrating DPF/EGR/Urea garbage that I wouldn't want it since now the EPA is going after the tuner market. I'm thinking of buyin' a spare unit, and have made backup copies of all my 6.4L tunes since production is mired in legal shenanigans.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: F150 diesel coming soon?