F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.f150online.com/forums/general-discussion-55/)
-   -   F150 diesel coming soon? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/general-discussion/480917-f150-diesel-coming-soon.html)

Labnerd 12-12-2012 01:58 PM

F150 diesel coming soon?

Ford announced Monday that it is starting US certification of it's global 3.2 diesel engine. That's a five cylinder diesel as it already appears in the global Ranger that you can't have here in the states-yet. Power output in the Ranger is 197hp and 347lbs torque. The 3.2 is slated for installation in the commercial Transit first as a 2014 offering. Will Ford put it in the F150? Nobody at Ford is saying but it's a near perfect fit for the F150. The engine is light and makes reasonable power for the heft of the F150 and fuel mileages have been as good as 35 mpg in a Ranger. The F150 wouldn't be much different. With GM already a year of process ahead of Ford with their diesel optioned Colorado and they are in process for a V6 version diesel for the Silverado, I don't see that Ford has the option not to offer a diesel F150...finally. Might even see the next version of the global Ranger here in the states.

dewalt17 12-12-2012 02:07 PM

If that Global Ranger makes it to the states with a good mpg diesel, I might just get one.

kingfish51 12-12-2012 02:07 PM

I would be surprised they will as the emissions standards in the US seem to be a lot tougher for diesels that the rest of the world.

dewalt17 12-12-2012 02:51 PM

Well, if they are starting certification in the US, then they must plan on using it in something here. Going diesel would help them meet future mpg requirements.

TruckGuy24 12-12-2012 03:39 PM

If they did this, I would consider one, other than that I'll take a '97 7.3

Arctic Cat F7 12-12-2012 03:54 PM

Its not gonna happen. This talk has been around for a long time now. They'll focus on hybrid engines and ecoboost technology. Don't hold your breath for a diesel in the f150.

dewalt17 12-12-2012 04:51 PM

Here is the info on this from Ford's corporate website. No mention of other vehicles, but still it is possible we will see them used elsewhere.

http://corporate.ford.com/news-cente...-32liter-37486

glc 12-12-2012 06:15 PM

If they are going to certify it for the Transit, I'd bet they certify it for a pickup truck too.

88racing 12-12-2012 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by glc (Post 4930973)
If they are going to certify it for the Transit, I'd bet they certify it for a pickup truck too.

Agreed....:beers:

jbrew 12-12-2012 08:47 PM

Ahh.. Well, if they would at least option a Lion for the 150, the 4.4L, I'd get a tickle. Otherwise....

Labnerd 12-12-2012 11:21 PM

The 4.4, while a nice engine, is too expensive to make. They can't afford to make in the states which is why it's made in Turkey. The 3.2 will cost several million for certs. Ford will have to justify the cost by putting it in other platforms and when you look over their offerings, the F150 is the most logical choice. Doesn't mean it's going to happen but they're going to have to put more of these engines on the street, one way or another. Considering GM is coming with their diesels in the light truck segment, it makes sense Ford would come too. I haven't heard from any of the old crew I worked with about Dodge but they may contract with Cummins for the 4 banger. Then again, there's the V6 Navistar that's waiting for a buyer. The next 12 months should be interesting.

dewalt17 12-13-2012 12:15 PM

Diesel might be the cheapest, short term, to meet future MPG requirements. New engines and technology can cost billions where as a few mods and the necessary certs to existing overseas diesels will be a few million.

Odin's Wrath 12-13-2012 12:52 PM

Can't wait to see what an increase in POV diesel will do to the price of fuel and commercial transportation. It's a good thing fleets are starting to look ore seriously at LP.

Wookie 12-13-2012 11:47 PM

The global Ranger is not coming here. In 25 years you will be able to import one on the gray market. Excluding that it is within 10% of the current F-150 and would cannibalize sales Ford already has. It is built in South Africa so it will be subject to the 25% Chicken tax to import it. That would put the purchase price well over the cost of an equal F-150. Who would buy the small truck when the big one cost the same? The production could be moved here to avoid the tax but the labor cost of the UAW would make it unprofitable to sell in rest of the world. Forget about killing the tax. There is no way a politician would dare suggest doing something that could be spun as pro-outsourcing.

As for the diesel, it won't get the power or mileage as the Euro spec does. The fuel here is garbage and full of trash. Look at the VW/Audi TDIs, the Euro version gets better mileage and more power than the US one. The reason is the entire top end of the motor had to be redesigned to accommodate the trash in our diesel. At the end of the day, you will pay a premium for a motor that has 100Hp less and just a small amount of torque more than the base V6. Plus the fuel costs $.60 more a gallon. The payback period on this option would be forever if ever.

Remember, Ford already had a diesel ready to drop into the F-150. They even had the sales brochures printed. It was killed because it could not pay for itself, nothing has changed. This motor would make a bit more sense in a small SUV or crossover.

chrmar 12-14-2012 07:49 AM

^wtf?