Anyone else fed up with Country Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 09:51 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Business management... I'm trying to get promoted at my current retail job for after school. Good money and the pay transfers to other states as well. Also have my class b cdl but I'm not gonna keep driving.

I don't doubt it PawPaw. The winters drive me nuts here

Old 02-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Business management... I'm trying to get promoted at my current retail job for after school. Good money and the pay transfers to other states as well. Also have my class b cdl but I'm not gonna keep driving.

I don't doubt it PawPaw. The winters drive me nuts here
The cost of living up there would drive me nut's!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 AM

Yeah that and taxes haha... I think if I move out there I'd like a decent amount of property but have neighbors and not be in the middle of nowhere. It's hard cause I don't know what it's like ... where I am it's suburban no big buildings just quiet neighborhoods and main roads.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Yeah that and taxes haha... I think if I move out there I'd like a decent amount of property but have neighbors and not be in the middle of nowhere. It's hard cause I don't know what it's like ... where I am it's suburban no big buildings just quiet neighborhoods and main roads.
We moved to the country 5 yrs ago from the New Orleans area...just far enough (60) miles to the SW to escape the traffic and noise. We have two road's that follow Bayou Lafourche with a few houses in between the sugar cane field's and pastures. A little farther South you reach the Gulf of Mexico. My parent's and grandparent's were from this area so it was like coming back home for me.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by PawPaw
We moved to the country 5 yrs ago from the New Orleans area...just far enough (60) miles to the SW to escape the traffic and noise. We have two road's that follow Bayou Lafourche with a few houses in between the sugar cane field's and pastures. A little farther South you reach the Gulf of Mexico. My parent's and grandparent's were from this area so it was like coming back home for me.
Paw Paw, you ever read any of James Lee Burkes
's books? Most of his novels take place in that area. One of my favorite authors.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Paw Paw, you ever read any of James Lee Burkes
's books? Most of his novels take place in that area. One of my favorite authors.
Nope, MawMaw's the reader. I'll have to check him out. I do know that the the Brer rabbit tales were written at the Laura plantation in Vacherie which is not too far from here. I like reading non fiction...mostly the history of the area I'm in. Jim Bowie was even a land owner close to where I'm at...called Bowie junction which was a train stop. The Pirate Jean Lafitte lived at Grand Isle and Barataria which is not too far away.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deleted

Last edited by 06yz250f; 02-18-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
Just found this band
American Aquarium "Lonely Ain't easy"
Saw them last year when they open for Jason Boland in Nashville. The sounded awful that night, I may need to give them another listen.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:50 PM

Bumping this baby up.

Been a big fan of Cody Johnson for a few years and his new album is fantastic. Also is Will Hoge's - he's got some great songs. It's funny because I also listened to a few new albums from Thomas Rhett and Tyler Farr and they disapointment There are guys like Cody and Will who can make the music modern and have some kicking upbeat songs, yet still remain loyal to their roots.

I'm also really glad to see my girl Kacey Musgraves has been tearing it up. She's got some great music. Anyone else have some new stuff?

Old 01-27-2014, 02:25 PM
check out this little country girl John... Kacey Musgraves! I see that you already have!!!

Last edited by PawPaw; 01-27-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by PawPaw
check out this little country girl John... Kacey Musgraves! I see that you already have!!!
Yup I love her, one of my favorites. Not hard on the eyes either

Old 01-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
She and Miranda Lambert are both from small East Tex towns near Tyler.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John, I swear you must belong down here if you're the only one up there listening to our music. I find it highly ironic that 90% of the great new bands you've listed are Red Dirt (TX) bands!

I listened to rock and hated country for my entire life up until maybe 3 years ago, then a made the switch completely. I agree with the direction country is headed in, but I feel that real rock music is in ever more jeopardy. Now all I listen to is country and can't stand anything else other than rock from at least 5 years ago. Three Days Grace, Papa Roach, Linkin Park, and a few others were my favorite, but not it's al extremely alternative. The biggest thing that I HATE is fake, synthesized music. I refuse to listen to anything with it.

In Houston, where I'm from, there are 2 stations that both play the same Nashville crap, which I liked until I moved to College Station for school. Now ALL I listen to is Texas country and don't listen to anything else at all. I was going to list out a lot of great bands, but you already did! I hate going home and not having my Red Dirt cause my favorite station here uses some app other than iheart that I have trouble using.

Granger Smith is my favorite right now as well and the Earl Dibbles, Jr. stuff is hilarious You need to go to grangersmith.com and check out some of the stuff they have on there!

For new artists in Nashville, I for one do like Thomas Rhett a lot and I've always loved Justin Moore. I'm another who found FL-GA Line before anyone else and months before they got any air time down here, but now that they're super huge and a few other things, it's turned me off of them. Randy Houser and Josh Thompson are another two that I've liked. I'll also admit to liking nearly all of Jason Aldean's songs, every last one haha. David Nail too. I love Eric Church as well, heavy rock influence. Toby Keith ain't bad on being "too far on the other side" and does a lot of great stuff for the troops, which is a huge plus with me.

Jerrod Neimann's new song, "Drink to that all night" is the absolute worst song I've ever heard that has somehow been passed off as "country." At least with some of Aldean's and Luke Bryan's songs that are "different" they still have country/red neck lyrics. But that song is fake, synthesized, main stream, club music, club-pop lyrics, and a completely pop sound without so much as a remnant of country music left. He even sings in a voice different from his usual.

A big thing with me is guys not writing their own music. Hate that.

Some good ones I'm not sure were listed above:

Casey Donahew Band
Josh Abbott Band
*William Clark Green (love him, has a very unique sound. You'll have to listen to him for a while before deciding whether or not you like him)
Josh Grider
Cory Morrow
Sam Riggs
Bart Crow Band
Robert Earl Keen
Wade Bowen
Brandon Rhyder (another interesting sound)
Zane Williams
Randy Rodgers (earlier)

Maddie Marlow of Sweet Alaina (duet) is Nashville, but she's a friend of my ex and went one high school school over from me, and I like her too. Signed with Big Machine (Taylor Swift's label too) and will have stuff coming out soon.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 01-27-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:41 AM

I know Kent, I'm ready to go down. Once my school loans are gone (I'm gonna try to get them paid as fast as I can) then I want to start looking for jobs down there. Realistically I'm thinking 4-5 years from now. I'd be 26 or so which is still pretty young. Sounds dumb, but I don't even want to get attached to anyone up here relationship wise because if they don't want to go then I'm going anyways I legit hate it here. The winters drive me nuts... I would never last farther north.

The other bands you listed I have 90% of them... I'll have to check out the 2-3 I haven't already. What bugs me is you look at some of the guys on the radio now and their orginal stuff is actually a nice modern country. Justin Moore claims to be an outlaw (and I do like him), but on his new album he's got a song singing about Kim Kardashian's ***. First off that's stupid and secondly she has to be the biggest waste of space I've ever seen. Talk about no talent and famous for no damn reason. I feel like many start off true to country but then change. Jason Aldean had some great songs on his first 2-3 albums, but then slowly drifted away. There's nothing wrong with the rocki in his songs, but it's not as country. Someone like Cody Johnson or the Eli Young band has some great slow songs but then can having some really upbeat songs that are still country. Florida Georgia Line makes me sick now. I used to like them but now they are a bunch of fairy boy pretty boys. I don't know how I liked their music.

An artist that I think Jim and PawPaw would appreciate is Frank Foster. He's had 3 albums and the newest one is a bit more upbeat but he's got some awesome songs. Don, he's from Louisiana, so you might have heard of him:

Old 01-28-2014, 11:04 AM

Also a big fan of this guy... good song too

Quick Reply: Anyone else fed up with Country Radio?