Motorcycle Accident

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Motorcycle Accident

Well, to make it short, this past Monday was quit interesting. Had a great day at work, nothing but a beautiful day out, great riding weather, for sure. At around 5:00 pm I was leaving to go to a buddy's house to do some sheetrocking and I left the driveway, had my left turn signal on, and stopped completely before the white marking line of a stop sign. (Accident happened only 500 yards from my house). I saw a beige pickup about a 1/4 mile down the intersecting road, and I waited. I wasn't in no rush. Wasn't even sure if he was going to make a left onto my road or keep on going. Well he decided to make a left, and cut the corner so sharp, the next thing I saw headed for me was a Chevy emblem. I bailed the bike and let him run it over. The driver jumped out of his truck and said: "Oh my God, I didn't see you." He did get ticketed for improper left turn, hence it totally was his fault.

Luckily I jumped off the bike and let him run that over instead of me and the bike. The bike got totaled. But, that didn't discourage me from getting a new bike. I treated myself to an upgrade. I got a Harley.

A buddy of mine's father had a Harley when I was in High School, he bought it back in 2003. But he never rode it all that often. The first time I saw it, I fell in love with it. It always stayed in his house and he used 1 or 2 tanks of fuel just about every year. Always had the oil changed and anything else. It's not any Harley, it's the 883r 100th Anniversary model.

It's a beautiful looking machine, and it rides very nicely, way better than my old Ninja 250 sport bike. Did I mention it sounds like a true motorcycle?

He sold it to me a for a steal, and it is showroom condition. There is no scratches, no dents, dings, rust, etc. The wheels are perfect, never used any abrasives, etc. It really is a head turner.

I just hope that it doesn't end up like my other one. Boy, I'd be ticked.

Just be careful out there, and if you ride, keep your head on a swivel, and be prepared for anything. Luckily I was paying close attention or I wouldn't be here right now.

Here's some pictures... you can click on them to make them bigger.

Last edited by ManualF150; 08-05-2012 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Typos galore....
Old 08-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sharp Bike, man!! I have never been a Harley fan, always loved my Shadows and CBRs, but they are the punchiest and best-sounding V-twins on the road, hands down. I almost traded my last truck for an 883 but got a Shadow 1100 instead, and loved it til I traded that for my F150. How many miles on it? I like all the black accents on that one instead of the thousands of dollars of chrome most guys put on Harleys. Lemme know if you need some Harley mirrors, cuz I have some lol

Old 08-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dad had the 1200 XLH 100th anniversary bike. He had a drunk pull out in front of him and totaled that one, and himself. He is lucky to be alive today. Have fun, be safe, and get the 1200 top end! They scream!

Old 08-05-2012, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by slorider
Sharp Bike, man!! I have never been a Harley fan, always loved my Shadows and CBRs, but they are the punchiest and best-sounding V-twins on the road, hands down. I almost traded my last truck for an 883 but got a Shadow 1100 instead, and loved it til I traded that for my F150. How many miles on it? I like all the black accents on that one instead of the thousands of dollars of chrome most guys put on Harleys. Lemme know if you need some Harley mirrors, cuz I have some lol
I'm not a Harley fan -- except that this particular 883 is the only one that I'd buy, next to *maybe* the Iron. I like chrome, but not that much.

When I was in high school I fell in love with it... something about the way it looks really turns me on. Never thought I'd have it though.

I'm a big Kawi and Honda fan... never much into the Yamaha's or the Suzuki's.

My 883r has 1926 miles on it. So when I say showroom condition... I mean it. It's like the bike was just demoed for those 1900 miles. It's so new that there is barely any soot inside the pipe and the bike still smells new.

My Kawi Ninja 250r had 11,488... bought it with 19xx some odd miles on it. This year I got about 7,xxx miles in... great year for riding.

Here's the kicker... my insurance went down 4x the amount for a bigger bike, because I went from a rocket to a cruiser.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The trick to surviving on motorcycle is to always remember your invisable. If you do that and with some luck you'll survive.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jethat
The trick to surviving on motorcycle is to always remember your invisable. If you do that and with some luck you'll survive.
110% correct.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Sold my bike and don't think I'll get another one. Too many idiots on the road texting. Just be safe man and defensive driver. Good luck and bike looks sick.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jethat
Yep.....

always gotta be driving for everyone else....especially the texters and chatters....damn people and phones...

Old 08-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Glad you are OK and are ending up on a bike you love.

Lots of drivers only register other vehicles with two headlights and four or more wheels. One headlight and two wheels gets treated as background noise by their brains.

The guy that hit you was a variation on a common theme. More likely is when they turn left in front of you or into you as you are motoring along on a nice straight road with excellent visibility.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Very nice. I plan to make some home-made LED DRLs for the bike I'm getting. Halogen low-beam headlamps don't cut it for getting seen in the day

Old 08-06-2012, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Very nice. I plan to make some home-made LED DRLs for the bike I'm getting. Halogen low-beam headlamps don't cut it for getting seen in the day
You really need one of these too...

http://www.headlightmodulator.com/

I heard they really work good too.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:42 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
that's a nice upgrade, sorry about the other bike but I'm glad you didn't get hurt

Old 08-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Build Tracking Moderator
Originally Posted by ManualF150

They work. I used them 20 years ago. Does make a difference.
But they may not be legal in your state.

ManualF150: Amazing that you where quick enough to get out of they way.
Glad you're OK!
And that Harley is a gem! Looks in exceptional condition.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get some Vance and Hines straight shots on there and then you will have a much bigger smile on your face!

I took my baffles out, cut them in half, and then threw them back in there. The v&h baffles are too quiet for sportsters in my opinion.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150

I've seen those before. All they are good at is killing your bulbs. (Halogens hate varying voltages). LEDs are the best bet for bikes. Directional, pure light with high candlepower- something halogens cannot provide.

Originally Posted by avfrog
Get some Vance and Hines straight shots on there and then you will have a much bigger smile on your face!

I took my baffles out, cut them in half, and then threw them back in there. The v&h baffles are too quiet for sportsters in my opinion.
Whaaat? My mom has a set of V&Hs on her Shadow 750 and I cannot stand riding it past 60mph- it just rings out my eardrums.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Accident