Sea foam who uses it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I live under a rock so what is sea foam??

Is it some magical substance that goes between my foot and the accelerator?

Very hesitate to put any fuel additives in my 2009...

Old 05-31-2011, 02:54 PM
I used it once in an older Mark VIII I had picked up cheap. I can't say it does much but it will smoke up the whole neighborhood if you run it through your vacuum lines!

Old 05-31-2011, 02:58 PM
I have used it in power equipment and carbureted vehicles before but I would be very hesitant to use it in a fuel injected vehicle because the fuel cools the coils that fire the injectors. So anything that goes in the tank flows over the coated wires in the fuel injectors possibly damaging them.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't run it but I have used deep creep on a head job a while back.

Using seafoam on a vehicle with less than 80,000 miles (or newer than 5 years old) is a waste of money

Old 05-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The makeup of Seafoam, per their website, is the following:
Pale Oil CAS 64742-54-7
Naptha CAS 64742-49-0
Isopropyl Alcohol (yeah, rubbing alcohol) CAS 67-63-0

So who here can tell why it works for all of you?

To remove carbon deposits from a combustion chamber via a "burn" requires combustion temps at 1400F. Pure carbon burns at 1400 Kelvin- that's as hot as some stars in fusion. You cannot "burn" carbon from a combustion chamber. The best remover is water mist. Any attempt to "burn" carbon deposits will result in catastrophic engine failure long before the carbon is "burned" off. The smoke most like to think is carbon deposits is the pale oil burning off. Has anybody considered what that much oil is doing to the cats? Injecting any fluid in massive amounts of volume via the brake hose is a recipe for damage. Your pistons can easily operate at 750F and introducing a quenching mixture into the chamber at those temps will fracture metals. I've personally rebuilt several engines of friends offspring that cratered the engine this way.
I included the CAS numbers for those that care enough to follow the mix but here's some of the direct links for you.
http://environmentalchemistry.com/yo...istillate.html
http://environmentalchemistry.com/yo...roleum%29.html
The alcohol used is of 90-100% pure meaning it has from zero to 10% water in it. If you can find this grade of alcohol at the pharmacy, add about 20% alcohol to ATF and you'll have a far better cleaner at a much cheaper price. At least ATF has some cleaners in it.
Another claim by most additive makers is that it removes varnish. Varnish can ONLY be removed by most of the Keytone family of solvents. Seafoam contains none.
The placebo effect is an amazing thing.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:33 PM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
All I can say is i used it in my 97 F150 and i drove it to 308,xxx miles on it without an engine problem, zero nada, just a tune up at 146,xxx miles and regular oil changes... 4.6 or sea foam???

Old 05-31-2011, 06:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
The makeup of Seafoam, per their website, is the following:
Pale Oil CAS 64742-54-7
Naptha CAS 64742-49-0
Isopropyl Alcohol (yeah, rubbing alcohol) CAS 67-63-0

So who here can tell why it works for all of you?

To remove carbon deposits from a combustion chamber via a "burn" requires combustion temps at 1400F. Pure carbon burns at 1400 Kelvin- that's as hot as some stars in fusion. You cannot "burn" carbon from a combustion chamber. The best remover is water mist. Any attempt to "burn" carbon deposits will result in catastrophic engine failure long before the carbon is "burned" off. The smoke most like to think is carbon deposits is the pale oil burning off. Has anybody considered what that much oil is doing to the cats? Injecting any fluid in massive amounts of volume via the brake hose is a recipe for damage. Your pistons can easily operate at 750F and introducing a quenching mixture into the chamber at those temps will fracture metals. I've personally rebuilt several engines of friends offspring that cratered the engine this way.
I included the CAS numbers for those that care enough to follow the mix but here's some of the direct links for you.
http://environmentalchemistry.com/yo...istillate.html
http://environmentalchemistry.com/yo...roleum%29.html
The alcohol used is of 90-100% pure meaning it has from zero to 10% water in it. If you can find this grade of alcohol at the pharmacy, add about 20% alcohol to ATF and you'll have a far better cleaner at a much cheaper price. At least ATF has some cleaners in it.
Another claim by most additive makers is that it removes varnish. Varnish can ONLY be removed by most of the Keytone family of solvents. Seafoam contains none.
The placebo effect is an amazing thing.

x2!

Old 05-31-2011, 06:52 PM
Years ago, once ran some through my vacuum lines and put the rest in my tank.

Didn't do anything except make smoke after the vacuum line experiment. No change in mpg or performance.

Wasn't as much smoke as some have described, but yeah, it was smokey.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by buckdropper
All I can say is i used it in my 97 F150 and i drove it to 308,xxx miles on it without an engine problem, zero nada, just a tune up at 146,xxx miles and regular oil changes... 4.6 or sea foam???
Scientifically speaking - as Labnerd was - you have a sample size of one. It would be unwise to draw too many conclusions from a sample size that small. The 4.6 was a hell of an engine and with regular oil changes, one could probably get that kind of mileage out of one. (There's that sample size thing again.)

Old 06-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Scientifically speaking - as Labnerd was - you have a sample size of one. It would be unwise to draw too many conclusions from a sample size that small. The 4.6 was a hell of an engine and with regular oil changes, one could probably get that kind of mileage out of one. (There's that sample size thing again.)
I hated to inform him that had he not used that junk, he would have gotten 500,000 miles out of it.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I hated to inform him that had he not used that junk, he would have gotten 500,000 miles out of it.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Exactly

Old 06-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Originally Posted by Bluejay
NO i could not have driven it further because it rotted out ,,, They use lots of road salt, maybe i should have dumped it on the body and it may have stopped the rust. I am not saying that the sea foam is gods gift to man i use it mostly in the 2 stroke motors and they really do perform better. My 1962 Johnson purrs after adding a bit to the tank. weedeaters it also works well................ just saying, It's like OLe Blue when he takes his viagara after 4 hours he is not calling a doctor he's calling everyone!!!!!

Last edited by buckdropper; 06-01-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by buckdropper
NO i could not have driven it further because it rotted out ,,, They use lots of road salt, maybe i should have dumped it on the body and it may have stopped the rust. I am not saying that the sea foam is gods gift to man i use it mostly in the 2 stroke motors and they really do perform better. My 1962 Johnson purrs after adding a bit to the tank. weedeaters it also works well................ just saying, It's like OLe Blue when he takes his viagara after 4 hours he is not calling a doctor he's calling everone!!!!!

Quick Reply: Sea foam who uses it?