Anyone Know much about carbonite

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Know much about carbonite

Anyone Know much about carbonite? Is it safe to put turbotax and quicken files on there? anyone have an account?

Old 05-27-2011, 02:06 AM
i would never recommend using an online storage system to store sensitive info like tax returns or payroll information.

bite the bullet and get a large external hard drive instead (100 bucks or so tops).

Old 05-27-2011, 02:27 AM
what about music?

Old 05-27-2011, 02:30 AM
I just looked on newegg. I did not know they were that cheap.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Old 05-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by birddog_61

Old 05-27-2011, 10:38 AM
I use a passport external drive for safe storage. At the end of the day, all I have to do is take it out of the cradle and put another one in it. I put it in my satchel and carry it with me. I just rotate them daily so if I have a crash I never lose more than a days work.

I run an araid mirrior, but one time both of them crashed the same day.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Tumba
I use a passport external drive for safe storage. At the end of the day, all I have to do is take it out of the cradle and put another one in it. I put it in my satchel and carry it with me. I just rotate them daily so if I have a crash I never lose more than a days work.

I run an araid mirrior, but one time both of them crashed the same day.
We do this with tape for our servers and all the laptops at work have external hard drives after we had a few fail on us and we lost everything. Every time we put our laptops in the docking station it backs up automaticly.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by birddog_61
Beat me to it!

Old 05-27-2011, 01:58 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
There are problems with on site backup solutions.
1. If your computer is ever stolen, the backup drive may be stolen too.
2. In the case of a fire, probably everything will be lost.
3. External hard drive backup is often not automated, unless the hard drive is always plugged in.
We use both local backup on a separate drive and, Janet uses Carbonite for her patient data (she's a psychologist). It functions in the background when the computer is not busy and gives her an extra layer of security. I like it. It's inexpensive, and easy to set up and use.

It's common to mistrust everything internet. But, the only way you can be absolutely safe is to be unplugged.

- Jack

Old 05-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not too sure about this myself.

How It Works. The Carbonite Products save a copy of each file that is automatically selected for backup and other files you designate for backup (your "Backed-up Data") to a server operated by Carbonite or a Carbonite agent.
Sony proved that a few million dollars spent in consulting and a few more million dollars in implementation does not always mean it works.

However, by default, Carbonite stores a copy of your encryption key in a secure server so you can easily log in and retrieve and decrypt your files whenever you need them.
Jack,
Not too sure how Janet makes sure her insurance is not waiting to get clobbered.
When I looked up the policy & procedures for HIPAA :
HIPAA Compliance: Carbonite has terms of use for those customers who are regulated by HIPAA and to help them comply with HIPPA. You can learn more about Cabonite's security measures and FAQs regarding HIPAA compliance within our Support section.
The underlined words are a URL to the support section :
The page results :
Not available

This answer is no longer available.
When you search the support site for HIPAA, a general list article come up, HIPAA - >
All other compliance inquiries

Please email privacy@carbonite.com.
The typos ( HIPAA vs HIPPA ), those are direct from Carbonite.

sarbanes oxley : Same thing, email them not indication if they do or don't.

My guess, it requires individual key management ??

I keep seeing an inconsistent marketing message:
The key mgmt, is this for the SSL tunnel only, or are individual files themselves encrypted prior to sending them ( that is a lot of process and IOP on a desktop computer ), and then sent down the SSL tunnel ? It reads both ways, cannot tell if one if Carbonite and the other is Carbonite Pro.

The items you list for local BU
1. If your computer is ever stolen, the backup drive may be stolen too.
Best to use the 2 back up method listed above, so you not only have redundant backups ( which is a virus remediation practice ), but also so the data is secure ( obviously data security is an issue here as well ).

2. In the case of a fire, probably everything will be lost.
Sentry makes fire resistant & water proof external hard drives for this reason.

3. External hard drive backup is often not automated, unless the hard drive is always plugged in.
True, but this can be automated, and if the drive is swapped at night on a rotating basis, the BU can be automated to run overnight either before or after the antivirus scans. Most external hard drives have software to do the automation.
Click free makes a nice external drive that backup without any interaction ( other than plugging it in ) from the end user.
I got 2 of these for mom & dad, so they can rotate them doing back ups of the 3 computers and the server ( which is a backup of the 3 computers ).

Old 05-29-2011, 05:21 AM
I think im going to get a External hard drive backup and get the free account at mozy for all of my pics

Old 05-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
We do this with tape for our servers and all the laptops at work have external hard drives after we had a few fail on us and we lost everything. Every time we put our laptops in the docking station it backs up automaticly.
The last Tape backup we used was an Omega rev 35, it was OK, but I like the Passports much better.
I had the Colorado, the Colorado II, and the REV35. I like the passport because there is no tape involved. I guess my dislike for tapes comes from having 8tracks, then cassette, and VHS. There always seemed to be problems with them Especially 8tracks.:o

Old 05-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
...<snip>...
Jack,
Not too sure how Janet makes sure her insurance is not waiting to get clobbered. ...<snip>...
I think, SSCULLY, if you're a psychologist, you're a walking magnet for lawsuits.

I'm pretty sure the law specifies "reasonable care" regarding records, and there's nothing actually TOO sensitive other than appointment lists and billing information in the PC. All the case notes are on paper and under double-lock.

Still, it's always a worry. *shrug*

- Jack

Old 05-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
I think, SSCULLY, if you're a psychologist, you're a walking magnet for lawsuits.

I'm pretty sure the law specifies "reasonable care" regarding records, and there's nothing actually TOO sensitive other than appointment lists and billing information in the PC. All the case notes are on paper and under double-lock.

Still, it's always a worry. *shrug*

- Jack
I thought that psychologist were on the lower side, what is the worst that could happen, nothing changes ? It is always blame mommy.

you are correct, HIPAA is not a set of technical specifications, the part that any ambulance chaser would go after is the reasonable care part. It is another one of those feel good laws, that really just makes billable hours for lawyers