Tax, Tax, Tax

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tax, Tax, Tax

I'm guessing Obama will wait for this until a second term, if he has one. It would be political suicide to try to push this now. He calls it, "under the radar".

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...rs-by-the-mile

Old 05-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank S
I'm guessing Obama will wait for this until a second term, if he has one. It would be political suicide to try to push this now. He calls it, "under the radar".

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...rs-by-the-mile
I would like to think something like that would never "fly", but I also thought I'd never pay to watch TV, or I'd quit driving if gas went to 3 dollars a gallon, or if children were only raised like they were in the 60's we'd have better citizens. (Frank, I only put that last one in there to give you a laugh. Please don't admonish me... Hahaha)

Old 05-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting concept. If they eliminated the gas tax, all vehicles taxed the same and all funds raised from this tax go towards road maintenance and construction I don't think I'd have a problem with it. Keep my roads smooth and clear w/o taxing me to oblivion, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Somehow though I see this as a pipe dream that isn't going to happen in my lifetime.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only people that would benefit from this are gov't contractors. Road and bridge maintenance/repair/replacement contracts are already inflated for the gov't.

The gasoline tax is already a "per use" tax based on how much you drive. The end result of another per use tax will only force many Americans back into the crime-ridden larger cities, where most of us would rather not be. I also see this benefiting the rust belt states more than any other states since the roads up north (I know, was born and raised in one of the rust belt states) are literally pothole ridden and more $$ must be spent repairing/replacing them much more often than the warmer climate states.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dzervit
Interesting concept. If they eliminated the gas tax, all vehicles taxed the same and all funds raised from this tax go towards road maintenance and construction I don't think I'd have a problem with it. Keep my roads smooth and clear w/o taxing me to oblivion, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Somehow though I see this as a pipe dream that isn't going to happen in my lifetime.
Anybody who actually thinks the government would eliminate any tax before, during or after implementing a new tax is delusional. This would be an additional tax. Two thumbs down from this guy.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:39 AM
I would never let something like that be put in my truck. Can you say Big Brother? I'm already paying enough at the pump to get back and forth to my 3 jobs so I can afford to live.

But honestly I don't see this ever happening.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Anybody who actually thinks the government would eliminate any tax before, during or after implementing a new tax is delusional. This would be an additional tax. Two thumbs down from this guy.
Hence the words "if" and "pipe dream" in my statement.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:03 PM
I would think this would lead to a mess. First installing such devices I am sure would have constitutional issues. I am sure this thing would have the ability to do more than just check your miles (Big Brother)!

Secondly I would assume you would have people tampering with it and not paying their share.

Plus basing it off of miles traveled would destroy their goal of hybrid/electric vehicles...especially if they removed the gas tax...oh wait they won't disband a tax that exists...maybe this will allow for the engine that runs on tap water!!!

Old 05-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by K-Mac Attack
Secondly I would assume you would have people tampering with it and not paying their share.
What? In America? Come on now you should know that America is filled with honest, caring, smart individuals!

Old 05-05-2011, 12:50 PM
I am sure this would get waived if you are a union member...

Old 05-05-2011, 02:31 PM
I don't agree with the implementation of another tax on us but the "idea" behind it would greatly reduce the demand on foreign oil if we are forced to drive less and buy more fuel efficient vehicles.

VMT taxes -- would be a fair way to charge motorists for the real cost of using the nation's highways and would encourage more efficient use of the highways than fuel taxes.
But that isn't there nor here. It is evident that the intentions of the OP is not to discussion whether VMT taxes are a good or bad but that no matter what Obama does it is wrong wrong wrong. Even if he does the same thing a Republican or teapartarian would have done in the same circumstances, HE IS WRONG just because he’s Obama.

They still "truly" believe that President Obama is not an natural born American Citizen. After Obama's weight problem became unbearable he finally decided to unload the crap off his back and prove to them that he was in deed a US Citizen. Did they stopped bother him and allowed him to do his his job? NO!

Headline News:

Obama proves to be a natural born United States citizen!

"Oh, well he only presented his BC because he wants to get re-elected".

Obama gives direct orders to execute Osama, mission was accomplished successfully.

"Oh, he only did that cause he wants to get re-elected"

VTM Taxes presented on Obama's desk.

Oh, "Obama will wait for this until a second term, if he has one. It would be political suicide to try to push this now. He calls it, "under the radar"

The truth to the matter is that the "birthers", teapartarian, tinfoil and pointy hat contingent will fabricate just about anything, even at the expense of our country, because they hate Obama with a passion. They simply cannot accept the fact that a "black" man is president, and it would be imposible for them to accept a black man, as president, be successful.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OGTerror
The truth to the matter is that the "birthers", teapartarian, tinfoil and pointy hat contingent will fabricate just about anything, even at the expense of our country, because they hate Obama with a passion. They simply cannot accept the fact that a "black" man is president, and it would be imposible for them to accept a black man, as president, be successful.
I think you're over generalizing. Personally, I don't like Obama and I really don't care what color he is or what party he belongs to. What I resent is what he stands for - bigger government controlling every aspect of my life -and then taxing the hell out of me for it. It's pretty much that simple.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:18 PM
I think you're over generalizing. Personally, I don't like Obama and I really don't care what color he is or what party he belongs to. What I resent is what he stands for - bigger government controlling every aspect of my life -and then taxing the hell out of me for it. It's pretty much that simple.
you mean taxing like clinton did and what part of your life has he taken over?

Old 05-05-2011, 03:21 PM
So, for that reason whatever he does, it is wrong. If he didn't do it, well then he should have or it was the wrong thing or he didn't do it soon enough or he did it too soon, shoulda, coulda, woulda waited?

Old 05-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OGTerror
So, for that reason whatever he does, it is wrong. If he didn't do it, well then he should have or it was the wrong thing or he didn't do it soon enough or he did it too soon, shoulda, coulda, woulda waited?
Sorta reminds me of January 2001 - January 2009. The only real change is who is doing the complaining. It's ok though, in January 2013 a fresh set of voices will be able to start all over again.

Quick Reply: Tax, Tax, Tax