How to pass an (NC) inspection with illegal window tint....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to pass an (NC) inspection with illegal window tint....

Physically remove the windows. Took maybe an hour to get both front windows out and probably 30 minutes to put them back in.

Edited to include: Big thanks to JDB04F150 for this thread that included directions and photos for removing the front windows. Not that it was very hard, but having the photos and step by step was nice. The hardest part was getting the glass in and out without scratching the tint. I just placed some scrap tee-shirts over the edge of the window frame where it rubbed.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...placement.html

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 01-05-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
Physically remove the windows. Took maybe an hour to get both front windows out and probably 30 minutes to put them back in.

- NCSU
Great idea. But, did the inspection station let that fly? No questions about where the glass went?

I often wonder how Florida gets by with allowing the darkest tint around, yet other states (NC and TN for example) cry "police safety." No shop around here in Knoxville will legally go darker than the limit (35%). Shops that offer it are cash-only and no warranty. Ugh.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:51 AM
or change out the glass with clear ones?? Here in Delaware,one of the checks is to see if the front windows go up and down. They don't care about the rears

Old 01-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by BigTRQ
Great idea. But, did the inspection station let that fly? No questions about where the glass went?
Nowhere in the NC state law does it say anything about requiring windows (except for a windshield if you have wipers). I actually took the truck back to the same place that failed me the first time for tint and passed no problem.

I first tried lowering the windows, disconnecting the switches and taking it to a different inspection place, but the guy at Jiffy Lube said he wouldn't inspect the truck unless he could see the windows since he could see the top of the glass in the doors.

So I went home, removed the windows and went back to the original inspection place. He did ask me to roll the windows up and I told him there weren't any windows in the truck. Some darn kids must have broken my windows while I was out of town for Christmas. He was super nice, even told me where I could pick up some cheap replacement glass.

I often wonder how Florida gets by with allowing the darkest tint around, yet other states (NC and TN for example) cry "police safety." No shop around here in Knoxville will legally go darker than the limit (35%). Shops that offer it are cash-only and no warranty. Ugh.
When I got the tint I was shown 35%, which looked very light, and 18% which matched the rear windows darn near perfectly. I paid cash, but got their warranty for life of the truck, but with the economic downturn, they ended up closing shop. That's one of the reasons I really didn't want to have to remove the tint.

Originally Posted by Red02FX4
or change out the glass with clear ones?? Here in Delaware,one of the checks is to see if the front windows go up and down. They don't care about the rears
Luckily that's not a requirement down here. How would they inspect a jeep with no doors, or plastic windows like this?

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 01-05-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Hahaha... Nice Bro!

Old 01-05-2011, 11:04 AM
I often wonder how Florida gets by with allowing the darkest tint around, yet other states (NC and TN for example) cry "police safety."
Good question. Seems like government officials in hot states like Florida care more about having a cool car in summer than they do about police safety.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:06 AM

When I got the tint I was shown 35%, which looked very light, and 18% which matched the rear windows darn near perfectly. I paid cash, but got their warranty for life of the truck, but with the economic downturn, they ended up closing shop. That's one of the reasons I really didn't want to have to remove the tint.

- NCSU
Didn't know that about NC law. I bet it's there to cover the Jeep situation. I want 18-20% on my fronts. I should probably just do it, as TN doesn't require inspections like NC does. Hope I don't have to move back to NC anytime soon.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Step one... roll down windows.

Step two... remove fuse. ;-)

Old 01-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Didn't know that about NC law. I bet it's there to cover the Jeep situation. I want 18-20% on my fronts. I should probably just do it, as TN doesn't require inspections like NC does. Hope I don't have to move back to NC anytime soon.
Yup, 35% limit on the front 2 windows, but nothing that says windows are required. Also, if the tint is from the factory at less than 35% that's OK too. The inspection guy told me if I found some glass that's tinted (not a film, but tinted like the rear windows are) that would pass inspection as well. You just can't have an aftermarket film tinting the windows darker than 35%. It's funny how many loopholes we have in our legal system in general.

Originally Posted by Odin's Wrath
Step one... roll down windows.

Step two... remove fuse. ;-)
Step 3, re-read post 4.

I first tried lowering the windows, disconnecting the switches and taking it to a different inspection place, but the guy at Jiffy Lube said he wouldn't inspect the truck unless he could see the windows since he could see the top of the glass in the doors.
- NCSU

Old 01-05-2011, 11:30 AM

Step 3, re-read post 4.

- NCSU

Surely you don't expect me to read a whole thread about window tint before adding a smart***ed comment.

My bad.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:41 AM

I often wonder how Florida gets by with allowing the darkest tint
They don't allow that....if they can't see in...you get stopped. If you have tint on your windshield...you get stopped. But it's only a $113 ticket (non-moving violation = 0 points)

Originally Posted by dirt bike dave
Good question. Seems like government officials in hot states like Florida care more about having a cool car in summer than they do about police safety.
A cool car is nice...(law enforcement is exempt) Police safety is another thing...if I was patrolling crackville I would want to be able to see in vehicles.

Last edited by radar's FX4; 01-05-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by radar's FX4
We don't allow that....if we can't see in...you get stopped...
That's a pretty vague description. There has to be a set limit.... I'll bet a 25 year old cop has an easier time looking through dark tint than a cop who's 20 or 30 years older.

A quick search says that FL allows tint as dark as 28% on the front windows. They do require a sticker certifying legal tint compliance though.

Originally Posted by radar's FX4
A cool car is nice...(law enforcement is exempt) Police safety is another thing...if I'm patrolling crackville I do want to be able to see in vehicles.
Which is why the law should require drivers to lower their windows when pulled over. Of course then you'd have to inspect for functional windows and I'd be SOL!

Random question... why do concealed carry classes tell you to roll your window only half-way down when pulled over?

Originally Posted by Odin's Wrath
Surely you don't expect me to read a whole thread about window tint before adding a smart***ed comment.

My bad.

- NCSU

Old 01-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice. I will have to keep this in mind if I go darker, in the future.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Random question... why do concealed carry classes tell you to roll your window only half-way down when pulled over?
Not a CCW holder, but my guess is half way down is enough for a legit officer to see you and obtain your license.

All the way down makes it easier for someone to reach through and assault you, stealing your ride and your gun.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:20 PM
The place that did my 5% also does my inspections.

Quick Reply: How to pass an (NC) inspection with illegal window tint....