How to pass an (NC) inspection with illegal window tint....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Step 1 to getting around Virginia's silly inspection laws...
Move to Tennessee where there's not an inspection!

Old 01-05-2011, 01:42 PM
NCSU, I tried to reply to your post but it kept saying my post was too short??? Anyway I had to do it this way. Sorry.

[QUOTE=NCSU_05_FX4;4448660]That's a pretty vague description. There has to be a set limit.... I'll bet a 25 year old cop has an easier time looking through dark tint than a cop who's 20 or 30 years older.

Good point...but if he does pull you over, he should have a tintmeter with to determine how dark your tint is. You may only get a warning. Remember...be nice.

A quick search says that FL allows tint as dark as 28% on the front windows. They do require a sticker certifying legal tint compliance though.

Exactly. Only 27% and under is written is my area. Lots of tintshops and backyard garages don't have these though. Or if you tint it yourself. But 20% still allows you to see in a vehicle most of the time,mirrored tint a def no-no. Great job on the research NCSU.

Which is why the law should require drivers to lower their windows when pulled over. Of course then you'd have to inspect for functional windows and I'd be SOL!

This is not enforced in Florida as far as I know.

Random question... why do concealed carry classes tell you to roll your window only half-way down when pulled over?

No idea, they should instruct students to roll the window completely down, and to put your hands on the steering wheel at 10 and 2 o'clock...and be nice!

Last edited by radar's FX4; 01-05-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Pickup Man
Step 1 to getting around Virginia's silly inspection laws...
Move to Tennessee where there's not an inspection!

Good idea...I'd move to TN today if I could...Fl sucks.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

They check your windows? CA inspection is stingy, but its all about the smog and emissions. They check everything about the engine, exhaust, cats, computer, and do several sniff tests. Still passed even with custom programming on the computer, and he never said a thing about my tint.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Well first off, my concealed carry class mentioned nothing about 1/2 way down windows when you get pulled.

I can't believe you had to do this. They guy who did mine, gave me a warranty, If the film ever tears or falls off on it's own he'll replace it. If a cop makes me remove it or if I have to to pass inspection, he'll re place it. The shop next door to him, does inspections also ;-).

Old 01-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
back before i had my medical exemption i used to just roll the windows down and pull the relay so they couldnt roll them up. cant test them if they cant see them. lol

Old 01-05-2011, 04:29 PM
I was thinking tint was the next, relatively low cost, step in my truck updates. This thread helped me with the concerns I had about how dark to go and how to get around it. I already have a Mustang that I have to "find a guy I know" each year to help me out aka pain in the ***! Well... I know a couple guys who can help but I feel bad asking each year.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:43 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
They check your windows? CA inspection is stingy, but its all about the smog and emissions. They check everything about the engine, exhaust, cats, computer, and do several sniff tests. Still passed even with custom programming on the computer, and he never said a thing about my tint.
That's because California does not do a safety inspection, just a thorough smog check.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by glc
That's because California does not do a safety inspection, just a thorough smog check.
That's it exactly.

FWIW, part of the smog check is a visual inspection. So even though your truck makes 1/100th of the legal amount of smog, you can fail the visual.

For example, my truck failed once because the little plastic ring on the filler neck had a small chip out of it from years of banging it with a gas nozzle. I had to replace the filler neck - which cost me about $250+- for the part.

Missing gas cap = fail the visual. Pay the test fee, get a gas cap and go test again.

Don't have a California Air Resources Board (CARB) approval # on your FIPK? Fail. Pay the test fee, print up the Carb # from the web, stick it on your FIPK and test again.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Illinois: They check the computer for exhaust related issues

Wisconsin: Same thing.

I've never had to complete a 'safety inspection' on my truck.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
Nowhere in the NC state law does it say anything about requiring windows (except for a windshield if you have wipers).
- NCSU
Are you sure you know the law? In Tx you're required to have wipers if you have a windshield, but no requirement to have a windshield.

Easy for me to get a sticker for my truck, since im a licensed inspector

Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
Easy for me to get a sticker for my truck, since im a licensed inspector
You want to send me a sticker for my truck before I get back from deployment so it'll be ready when I get back?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by My01SCrew
You want to send me a sticker for my truck before I get back from deployment so it'll be ready when I get back?
you know these things arent free

but if you were to make a trip up here i'd take care of it

Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Steve, you can't find anyone around the Raleigh area that will pass you?

I know of a couple places around Winston that don't even charge you for tinted windows. I know it's a pretty good drive but if you're ever up this way around inspection time you could save yourself the hassle.

I'll ask around and see if some of my buddies that went to State know of a place closer to Raleigh.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
you know these things arent free

but if you were to make a trip up here i'd take care of it

I haven't had trouble with a state inspection since before I came in the Army when my Nova wouldn't idle down enough for emissions testing. There's inspection places on almost every corner here, think there's one on post even. Again I appreciate the offer.

Quick Reply: How to pass an (NC) inspection with illegal window tint....