How to pass an (NC) inspection with illegal window tint....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06bluemeaniexl
Illinois: They check the computer for exhaust related issues

Wisconsin: Same thing.

I've never had to complete a 'safety inspection' on my truck.
Hope I don't meet up with you on the road

Old 01-05-2011, 11:01 PM
I often wonder how Florida gets by with allowing the darkest tint around, yet other states (NC and TN for example) cry "police safety." No shop around here in Knoxville will legally go darker than the limit (35%). Shops that offer it are cash-only and no warranty. Ugh.[/QUOTE]

I live in knoxville and Pro mark tint does as dark as you want and has a lifetime warranty, he does request cash though. Leif the owner has done 6 of my cars all 10% with a 5% eyebrow well past the legal 6' limit. Try Promark, Leif's very reasonable and does excellent work. He did my truck for $160 and did a perfect job. Precision also will tint to 5% but, they do crappy work and they are super expensive. I've never had a problem from KPD about my window tint, even while getting several speeding tickets. I think the mirror tint is the kind they fuss about, but I'm not sure? Do you live near campus or something?? UT police are hardcore about everything, so aggrivating!
I did a month of ride alongs with KPD when I tried out for the police academy.
From what I recall, the people that got the tint tickets, noise ordinance or cracked windshield tickets had pissed the officer off. They either took forever to pull over, stopped in a obviously hazardous location for officer safety or gave the officer instant attitude. I've learned officers and nurses are people you can't get away with pissing off, they can make your day go to crap quick.
R

Old 01-06-2011, 01:18 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by dirt bike dave
That's it exactly.

FWIW, part of the smog check is a visual inspection. So even though your truck makes 1/100th of the legal amount of smog, you can fail the visual.

For example, my truck failed once because the little plastic ring on the filler neck had a small chip out of it from years of banging it with a gas nozzle. I had to replace the filler neck - which cost me about $250+- for the part.

Missing gas cap = fail the visual. Pay the test fee, get a gas cap and go test again.

Don't have a California Air Resources Board (CARB) approval # on your FIPK? Fail. Pay the test fee, print up the Carb # from the web, stick it on your FIPK and test again.
You are exactly right, they guy monkeyed all over/under my truck looking at those exact little things. This is also why I went with the K&N FIPK intake system...its the only one for our trucks that is CARB legal and my sticker is right on top of it easily in sight. They dont actually check the computer though, my Troyer tune was on it the whole time. Or is it just that they can't recognize it from the Ford factory program? He had the OBD2 hooked up for a while i was gettin a little worried...but I assumed he was just checking the logging history for DTCs or whatever.

Its amazing how they get into the little details like that though, unbelievably ridiculous.

Last edited by mSaLL150; 01-06-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
Are you sure you know the law? In Tx you're required to have wipers if you have a windshield, but no requirement to have a windshield.
Ok, you got me, I mistyped it... if you have a windshield you must have wipers, but there's no requirement to have a windshield.

Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
Easy for me to get a sticker for my truck, since im a licensed inspector
Are you sure you know the law? At least the guy who passed me was technically still following the law. We don't have stickers anymore either, everything is done on-line now.

Originally Posted by UNC Lariat
Steve, you can't find anyone around the Raleigh area that will pass you?

I know of a couple places around Winston that don't even charge you for tinted windows. I know it's a pretty good drive but if you're ever up this way around inspection time you could save yourself the hassle.

I'll ask around and see if some of my buddies that went to State know of a place closer to Raleigh.
I appreciate it, but I'm required to get it inspected in Wake County. I've talked to a few people who "know places" to get it done.... Then again, the place I usually go to never gave me any problems until this year, so who knows.

- NCSU

Old 01-06-2011, 10:58 AM
I can get the inspection. However, if you can figure out how to get the illegal tint past the 5-0 then you will be my hero!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by b2therad
I can get the inspection. However, if you can figure out how to get the illegal tint past the 5-0 then you will be my hero!

If you have a sunfoof, open it or a rear sliding window. It will get more light into the cab, making the tint not look so dark from a viewing standpoint.

Or whenever you see da po-po roll all your windows down...

This does not apply if it's raining...same as speeding...nobody speeds when it's raining...

Old 01-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
I appreciate it, but I'm required to get it inspected in Wake County. I've talked to a few people who "know places" to get it done.... Then again, the place I usually go to never gave me any problems until this year, so who knows.

- NCSU
Actually you can have done in any county that requires emission testing (non conforming areas).

Old 01-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Is that a Wake county requirement? There are no county restrictions around here. We can get inspected in any county in NC as long as they have means to do emission inspection. I've been inspected in Stokes, Granville, and Guilford county and my truck is registered in Forsyth. That's crap if you're required to stay in your county.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:22 AM
I'll have to look more carefully into the law. I had always thought it needed to be inspected in the same County it was registered.

- NCSU

Old 03-06-2014, 01:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I apologize for bringing this old one up, but...

NCSU, were you able to find a shop that would pass your truck without going to all of that trouble? I will need to have my truck inspected for the first time before the end of the month. I live in Zebulon and work in the RTP area.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a good idea NCSU. However, my recent successful inspection of my truck with 20% front windows was $40. But I'll use your trick if I ever need to.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:15 AM

I've gotten told, even by an inspector buddy, that my 5 and double 5% tint was dark as all hell and that he couldn't pass it

I need an inspection like . . . now haha. But I have more people to ask and then I have the option of Paying 4 times as much for an auto-pass. Not having cats doesn't help either, of course

Old 03-07-2014, 12:18 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
I need an inspection like . . . now haha.
Time to bite the bullet and get it legal.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by glc
Time to bite the bullet and get it legal.
Nope! That ain't as fun. My truck passes OBD because of the tunes, so my exhaust is legal for all they know.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
here in Utah they pull you over for to much tint no mater what the tags say. Of course they will also issue a citation.

Quick Reply: How to pass an (NC) inspection with illegal window tint....