Most collectible cars of the future

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most collectible cars of the future

CNBC has picked the cars they think will be the collectible cars of the future.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/40766423

Their list includes a lot of very expensive cars. Of course they will be collectible. But what about less expensive cars? What do you think of their picks and what are your picks. Will the Mustang of 2010 be as collectible as the 65? I think it might. Will pickups ever be considered as collectible as cars are?

Last edited by kingfish51; 01-04-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't doubt that some day those listed all will be a "collector". Right now they are all over priced exotics to me.

I appreciate seeing an older historic car. One that was built and driven before my time. But I also appreciate a lot of historic items, such as houses, buildings, etc. With the price of gasoline and new trucks I know my truck will be a collector for a while.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:35 AM
93-97 Z28 SS
00-02 TAs
00-01 Roush Mustang
95-99 Riviera (supercharged)

Hard to say with the current later models. Trucks are doubtful

Old 01-04-2011, 11:37 AM
The super exotics in that list are already collectible cars. Pretty idiotic to even put those on there IMO....

The viper I see being one of the biggest collectors in 20-30 years. People are already starting to buy them up and sit on them for that very reason. I would imagine prices will skyrocket on them as the years go by. They are the last true American muscle car, all other American cars fall under touring/pony. The 2012 Vipers unfortunately will be turned into a touring car thanks to the government. I would be real surprised if they bring back a big cubed v10 again also.

The 2010 mustang will not be a "collectible" The 2011 MIGHT have some collect-ability, but I doubt it.

I'm not sure if the ZR1 will be a collectible either. It's just a package on a corvette, which there are plenty of.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Future collectible (non-exotic category): Honda S2000

Pickup trucks will not be collectible, but specialty vehicles like the Gen II Lightning will have some appeal, especially if they are 100% stock.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:45 PM
The reason non exotic cars become collectible is because many people once owned them or at least desired them. Camaros and mustangs are nearly all collectible for that reason. Now with so many choices I think fewer cars become "collectible".

Old 01-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Not a huge fan of most of those cars, although I might be persuaded to trade my son for a Ford GT in the right color combination.....

To determine which cars will be collectible in 25 years, a good place to start would be to find out which cars high school boys lust after today. They will likely love the same car in two to three decades, only by then they may actually have the money it takes to purchase one, and will be willing to pay a heavy premium for one that is pristine and original.

With this in mind, I think the current line-up of Camaros, Challengers and Mustangs will be sought after. Regarding Mustangs, I'd give the nod to the '05-09 bodystyle over the "ugly duckling" 2010+ vehicles.

Another vehicle that I think time will treat kindly over the next couple of decades is the 2002-2005 Thunderbirds. Very unique vehicles (the likes of which we will not likely see again any time soon) that were produced in relatively low volumes.

Just my .02-cents......

Trending Topics

Old 01-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Graduating high school less than two years ago, I'm looking at older Mustangs. My dream car is a 1968 Fastback. An 03-04 Termi would be nice too. Purely stock, those and an 03 Lightning are my two most favorite 21st century car and truck combo

Old 01-05-2011, 12:11 AM
Pontiac Solstice Coupe. Only about 1200 were built before production ended.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Y'all are calling the mustangs/camaros etc. collectibles, to which they really won't be. That time has passed for those cars for being "collectibles." You will not see crazy prices for those cars like we did with the 60's models a few years ago. Limited production cars that every little boy had a poster of on his wall, as someone has said, will be the collector cars of the future.

Mustangs sale on average about 80-100k+ units a year. Where as rare collectible cars will sell maybe a 1000 a year, if not it's entire life span. Those will be the true collector cars.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
Y'all are calling the mustangs/camaros etc. collectibles, to which they really won't be. That time has passed for those cars for being "collectibles." You will not see crazy prices for those cars like we did with the 60's models a few years ago. Limited production cars that every little boy had a poster of on his wall, as someone has said, will be the collector cars of the future.

Mustangs sale on average about 80-100k+ units a year. Where as rare collectible cars will sell maybe a 1000 a year, if not it's entire life span. Those will be the true collector cars.
I would not consider the old Mustangs as low selling, as the sold almost half a million by April of 1965.

http://classicponycars.com/history.html

Ford isn't selling near that many of the current model years as back then. I would not call old Mustangs or Fairlanes as rare (except for some specific models), but they certainly are collectible.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:13 AM
Does one here thinks any of the "tuner" cars have a future?

A few I think will become collectors -

Honda CRX ('86-94?)
Honda S2000 (mentioned)
Mazda RX7 - original body ('80-?86) and last body (?96-?02) only
Mitsubishi Skyline (maybe/not?)

Oh - and in the not a ricer catagory -
F150 Raptor.
If the Raptor can't make collecter status, no other truck stands a chance...

Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 AM
I agree - all of those are collectible now. The thing about collectible cars is that they have to have low miles and stay in good shape. I guarantee that if someone has a Ford Fusion 60 years from now with a few hundred original miles in pristine condition, it would be considered a collectible car. It's not always the car that makes it collectible, it's time.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
I would not consider the old Mustangs as low selling, as the sold almost half a million by April of 1965.

http://classicponycars.com/history.html

Ford isn't selling near that many of the current model years as back then. I would not call old Mustangs or Fairlanes as rare (except for some specific models), but they certainly are collectible.
The difference between 60's mustangs and todays mustangs is most of those stangs rotted away..

You will see late model mustangs on the road for many many many many years as they are built to last MUCH longer then the 60's models. Fox bodies are hitting 30+ years old now and unless they are super low mileage all original cars they are not collectors at all.

Any low mileage old car will be a "collector." The issue here is what car itself will be a collector, and just a "Mustang" is not one of them.

Last edited by FATHERFORD; 01-05-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Jerry-rigged
Oh - and in the not a ricer catagory -
F150 Raptor.
If the Raptor can't make collecter status, no other truck stands a chance...
Amen to that!!

Quick Reply: Most collectible cars of the future