What do you think about the SVT Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Truck, BAD choice of wheels tho... But How many are really buying for the true function? I won't be buying one, I'd rather own a FX4 and create what works for me like I have.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kobiashi
...Over time, however, it has grown on me. I actually toyed with getting it, but, and this is gonna sound funny, but it won't fit thru any of my garage doors....
Well, idle hands are the devil's workshop...

PLUS

PLUS

Old 11-24-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm mixed on it honestly. I think for the type of slow wheeling around here TIGHT trails, very steep break overs, and rocks it would have troubles. For fast stuff though like muddy roads or desert it'd rock. The front suspension is pretty nice. The rear suspension is leaf springs, and i'm not seeing any real anti-wrap provisions (could be wrong though). A linked rear would have been nice but would have upped production prices. On the interior there is no cage so in a roll you're relying on the the safety features built into the body, which i'm sure are very strong but a cage would be a nice upgrade. Again though production prices. From the pictures there is no harness system either. The 6.2 engine sounds like a freaking beast.

All of the things I noted are probably not needed though for 99% of the buyers of this truck though. I would never expect Ford to build dedicated race truck and put it on their lots. They HAVE to balance performance with daily drive-ability and keep it at a price where it might actually sell. I think they did a pretty good job!

For a production desert truck it's probably the best out there. Wether or not it's the best production off road truck...that'll depend on the terrain.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
On the plus side, it has a lot of new technologies in it that apparently are working quite good. The down side is it's a bloated pig.

I guess I'll never understand companies like Ford and others. Here they have people WAITING for a diesel F150 and on a mid sized pickup like the global Ranger but Ford says you can't have it. Yet they'll produce a POS like the Raptor that is not going to sell in any volume and while it has a demand on it for now, when the new wears off, it'll be history. How stupid is that?

Old 11-24-2010, 11:52 AM
I think its an awesome truck and serves a purpose. But like most have said most of the people buying this truck arent gonig to go 70mph + through the dessert and jump it. Similar to the people that buy H1 Hummers spend that kind of money to only drive it through 4 feet of mud dont see too much of it. I think its going to turn into a "status" type of truck IMO.......

Old 11-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Bighersh
I've seen several on the streets. I don't like it. I'd say it's one of the few misses Ford has had since hiring their new CEO (The other being the redesigned Focus).

What do you guys/gals think? Thumbs up/down?

Maybe it would look better as a SuperCrew, or a regular sized SuperCab.
Hersh you starting trouble already, lol. I like it as well as the redesigned focus (2012). I actually like every Ford product that is out now.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:01 PM
I guess I'll never understand companies like Ford and others. Here they have people WAITING for a diesel F150 and on a mid sized pickup like the global Ranger but Ford says you can't have it.
Ditto x 1,000,000!

Although I think a lot of that decision is influenced by head-in-the-sand environmentalists who do not understand what a diesel can do or that it can be clean. I think this is a topic that I could go on about for a long time...but i'd end up hijacking the thread lol

Old 11-24-2010, 06:05 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
the more I see 'em the more they are growing on me, I like 'em and one would serve me well (after some performance mods, and having the wheels chromed)

Old 11-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by PJB4x4
I hate how they only use the stupid looking 5.5' bed. That bed just doesnt look proportional on a Supercab truck. A 6.5' bed would look a hell of alot better on.

I dont care much for decals (Im debating removing the rocker decals on mine) and while its an option it seems that 99% of Raptors come with them already installed. I dont think Ive seen one around here without them.

Also I cant see spending almost $50k on a truck and beating on it offroad so it would be rather senseless for me to get one.
Agreed- on both points. Especially the one about the stubby bed.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by pmason718
Hersh you starting trouble already, lol. I like it as well as the redesigned focus (2012). I actually like every Ford product that is out now.
LOL- Not really. Just asking for opinions.

I haven't seen the 2012- maybe they hit a homer with that one.
I was walking about the 2007/2008 ish redesign... When you think about how sexy the Euro version was (and the Mazda3), you'd think Ford would have used some of that flash when they redesigned it- then.

I agree though- Ford has been hitting homers left & right since 2006: (Edge, Fusion v1.0 2.0, 2010 Taurus (Very nice), MKS, MKZ, MKT, Mustang, Flex, the utilization of Microsoft Sync- I mean, when it comes to electronics- Synch is just as sophisticated (and more user friendly) than BMW's iDrive...) Well done- Ford.

Now, put a 6.5 foot bed on that raptor, and a bad-*** front clip.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much are they in the US?
I just priced one on the ford.ca site, I added all options except for the navigation and it came to $69.585 + 13% sales tax

This was for the supercrew 4x4

Seeing as the US and CND dollar are virtually at par, man, 70k for a half ton truck? I think I'd spend a bit more and get Navi instead.
(If I was wanting to buy a new vehicle) but the thought of having payments is a big turn off so I'll just drive my 2002 forever and save my cash.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by Habibi
How much are they in the US?
I just priced one on the ford.ca site, I added all options except for the navigation and it came to $69.585 + 13% sales tax

This was for the supercrew 4x4

Seeing as the US and CND dollar are virtually at par, man, 70k for a half ton truck? I think I'd spend a bit more and get Navi instead.
(If I was wanting to buy a new vehicle) but the thought of having payments is a big turn off so I'll just drive my 2002 forever and save my cash.
I'm with you on that.]

Unless this turns out to be a mechanical lemon, this Expy will be the first truck I ever pay off.

I wish I still had my 1999 SuperCab, or the 2001 SuperCrew. I loved those trucks.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by Raoul
Well, idle hands are the devil's workshop...

PLUS

PLUS

Dude, I can't even hammer in a nail straight. Not once. Never been able to do it. Build something? My odds of winning some lottery . . . repeatedly . . . in a row, are better than me successfully building something like a garage.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kobiashi
Dude, I can't even hammer in a nail straight. Not once. Never been able to do it. Build something? My odds of winning some lottery . . . repeatedly . . . in a row, are better than me successfully building something like a garage.
My mom told me my long lost brother was out there somehwere, now I know who it is...You are my twin kobi

I can play Misty for you on the piano but ask me to hang a picture and forget it.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:49 AM
Hersh the 2012 is on Ford's website. Take a look at it and let me know what you think

Quick Reply: What do you think about the SVT Raptor