Ford Focus Break-in: 1,600 mile trip for first miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Focus Break-in: 1,600 mile trip for first miles

Hello everyone,

Well I am purchasing a Ford Focus to add to the fleet. Its going to be used for commuting and saving some gas and miles from the truck.

Question and concern that I have is about the break in period. I have never bought a new car, and have some questions.

I know that there are lots of views about breaking in cars hard or gently, and that's not the question. I need to drive the car roughly 1,600 miles after I leave the dealership. The situation is that the dealership is family owned, and I am heading home (from Colorado to NY) to visit, and pick up the new car.

I know that everyone states not to run at constant speeds, which I can vary back and forth (to a certain extent). Am I pressing my luck heading to the highway for 1,600 solid miles (over about 26 hours).

I am wondering if I am making a mistake taking this car on a road trip for it's first 1,600 miles. I plan on changing the oil at 1,000 miles (should I plan for earlier?).

Any advice, do you think this is a horrible idea?

Thanks everyone,
Ryan

Old 04-19-2010, 07:55 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. We took my mom's '05 Expedition to Texas and back (1800ish miles) when it had like 350 miles on the clock. It's got 70K-something on it now without any problems.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:00 AM
You should be fine. Just make sure to vary the speed the first few hundred miles. I can already 'feel' my F-150 getting better and more responsive now at 800 miles.

On a side note, I had a Focus recently as a rental car. It had about 1600 on the clock when I got it and I'm sure that was put on in a week or two. It drove fine, so I wouldn't worry. I wasn't, however, impressed with the gat mileage. Average was only around 30 on the highway. My wife's 300C with the Hemi gets 25-27 on the highway.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by hollamby
Any advice, do you think this is a horrible idea?
Not at all. But if it were me, I would bring a radar detector and drive 2/3 at a slow easy speed and, when conditions allowed, open it up to 80 mph or so for a minute or so every 5 or 10 miles. It's not necessary to do this but it's a good idea. If you don't want to exceed the speed limit you can accomplish a similar thing by slowing down to 40 or so (when conditions allow) and accellerating moderately briskly (using about 2/3's of the RPM range) up to cruising speed.

More powerful vehicles can use more attention in this manner when breaking in. Less powerful vehicles can often be broken in with more normal driving because they are naturally under a bigger load in normal driving.

I ride high performance motorcycles with a high power/weight ratio and they definitely benefit from not being ridden too gently during break-in but your new Focus should not require too much in the way of special treatment for a good break-in.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:27 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Just drive it how you normally would. No specific breakin required these days. I'd also wait till you get home for an oil change, no need to change it at 1k. The way engines are built these days, everything is properly fitted.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Thanks guys, a couple people told me that I was being to 'old school' about breakin proceed

Ryan

Old 04-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Real
I ride high performance motorcycles with a high power/weight ratio and they definitely benefit from not being ridden too gently during break-in but your new Focus should not require too much in the way of special treatment for a good break-in.
This is what I have done for my last two super sports and have notice a huge difference in past. I followed thie guy

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

for my bikes, but just wasn't sure on these new cars.

Thanks again

Trending Topics

Old 04-20-2010, 01:16 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
There's nothing wrong with being "old school" with breakin, but it isn't really necessary any more. I think that's the point. I wouldn't abuse it though.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just drive normal. No need for a break in. Also I wouldn't change the oil for 5,000 miles and every 5 after that. I have 2 2005 focus, one with 115,000 and the other with 110,000, That one I bought new. Driven hard all it's life. Runs like new. The duratec engines are great in the focus. Very durable.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by chris1450
Just drive normal. No need for a break in. Also I wouldn't change the oil for 5,000 miles and every 5 after that. I have 2 2005 focus, one with 115,000 and the other with 110,000, That one I bought new. Driven hard all it's life. Runs like new. The duratec engines are great in the focus. Very durable.
Good to hear, what type of gas mileage you getting? Anything to look out for?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Ford Focus Break-in: 1,600 mile trip for first miles