TV GUys?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TV GUys?!

Just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with this Brand of tv or if you just have some good knowledge on Tv's. It seems like a lot of tv for the money... Any help would be great. Thanks! Im also not out to get the biggest baddest tv out there just a nice one for the dough.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia...&skuId=9372154

Old 11-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't really know much about TV's but I've always had good luck with RCA's. I have a 27" RCA that I've had for 7 years now and it still works great. The other RCA's I used for a few years, and replaced with bigger tv's, are in the camper for summer and I have one in the garage.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rca's are great, ive had a little crappy 13" for about 11 years now, and it still works, besides that, like MTM i dont really know much about TV's

Old 11-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I don't claim to know anything about TVs but the absolute last place I would buy anything electronic is at Best Buy. The one you are looking at is a no name brand for a lot of money. Look here for a decent deal on name brand stuff. This is also a 65", name brand, 3D ready, for less money from a great company to deal with.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=M402-6524

I know enough about TVs to get me into trouble but avoid a plasma. They generate tons of heat. Watch what you buy as a lot of the "TVs" do not have tuners and that is an extra. Also watch about the 1080. There are 2 forms of 1080. There is 1080P and 1080i. Here's the difference:
http://reviews.cnet.com/1080i-vs-1080p-hdtv/

As with any online purchase, research and Google are yer friend. Search for reviews of a specific brand and model. Make sure you know what you are buying and what it will do.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Insignia is Best Buy's own label. Have no idea who make it for them.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I recommend Samsung TV's, I have a 42" and it is awesome! great picture and sound. My dad got something like a 62" sony and the picture IMO is so-so, for some reason it takes ten years to turn on and change channels. I recommend the samsung stuff! I seem to remember having an insignia LCD computer monitor and it wasnt that great, I ended up switching to an HP monitor

Old 11-26-2009, 07:25 AM
Bingo. Thats some good stuff. keep it coming. Also labnerd..the tv you posted is a DLP which they are very cheap now because most people are looking into flat panels. Which is where i am , but thanks for the web site ill check it out some more. What is the reason for not buying from Best Buy? Just curious?

Last edited by Big_Smokey; 11-26-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:37 AM
I personally have had my Vizio for going on two years, and knock on wood x10 it has been one HELLo of a TV. The pictures good the price is good and I will own another one. The only thing I don't always like about it they didn't (at the time) have the glossy finish over the actual screen which Samsung and some others have. Heck I think for 1300 bucks u can get a 50 in 1080p Vizio its gonna be my next tv as well.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:42 AM
This is a samsung..It looks ok, i just never know what things to look at as far as hook ups and built in things with the tv.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...LE_9290117_IMG

Crap thats a plasma...not LCD....

Last edited by Big_Smokey; 11-26-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:45 AM
Not sure about the quality of the Insignias, but as far as RCA, you now want to stay away from them. Some years back they were bought by a Chinese company and the result has been a large drop in quality. I used to have all RCA products, now will not touch them. Place I buy from, which not only sells, but services has moved mostly away from the RCA products, which was their main product 5 years ago. Now their main product is Panasonic and Toshiba.
Company's products they see the least of as far as repairs are Panasonic, Sony, and Toshiba.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The way corporates badge things now, you really have to study to know who makes what. I think the most important thing about a tele now is the protector you hook it to. The slightest surge can knock them out.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by Big_Smokey
This is a samsung..It looks ok, i just never know what things to look at as far as hook ups and built in things with the tv.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...LE_9290117_IMG

Crap thats a plasma...not LCD....
Why don't you want a plasma? In general, they will do better with action scenes and things like football where there is a lot of movement. Also they will do better with contrast and black levels.

As far as connections, you want as many as you can get, or invest in something like an AV receiver. Definitely want at least 2 rear HDMI, 1 or 2 component (for those older products that do not have HDMI), and a composite for if you have a VCR (which is going to look pretty ugly on an HDTV of that size).

If you have a Blu_Ray player or cable/satellite, the best way to hook them up is HDMI as that is the best quality, and you only need one cord for sound and picture. If you will be using a audio receiver for sound, make sure the TV has a digital out for going to the receiver. That would only be used for over the air audio. Other audios to a receiver (that does not have HDMI) would be direct from the other box. You do not want to pass those through the TV first.

My current setup is a 61" Panasonic LCD projection TV, DirecTV using an HD receiver, a Blu-Ray player, and a Sony AV receiver. I connect the DTV and BR to the AV receiver with HDMI and HDMI to the TV for video only. Sound is all handled by the AV receiver. As I also have an outside antenna, I connect a digital cable from TV to the AV receiver for that sound. Now if I just had more room and places to mount them, I could put in 2 more speakers, and could have 7.1 sound. Unfortunately, no more room.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:33 AM
Awesome setup. They get pretty hot. Id like to maybe look into the LED LCD's,but im behind the times as it is. So anything i get will be better then my 32" square panasonic! ha...SO i guess its hard to compare tv's because everything i look at is WAY better then what i already have. Thanks for the insite kingfish. Ive been kinda eyeing this one. This is about as much as i care to spend then have a couple others the same size but different features as far as plug ins and stuff...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=9401658

This is basically the same i think , just a little less expensive and a couple less options
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=9293524

Last edited by Big_Smokey; 11-26-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:55 AM
The second is not quite the same thing. It has a refresh rate of 60hz compared to the other having 120hz. The faster rate is the preferred. Just like in computer monitors, some people can "see" the flicker of the slower rates and it causes them problems. I fortunately do not have that problem.
As far as Samsung, I do not have any info on quality etc. Just the info I posted previously about what brands my dealer said were the least repaired.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong with plasmas. I have no regrets what so ever. Infact if I was to buy another it would also be plasma. Out of everything in my house I always get asked about my tv and what it is to have such a crisp picture. This is coming from those that have lcd's. Also nothing wrong with a lcd, plasma is just my preference.

Quick Reply: TV GUys?!