Pools!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
When my daughter's were young they wanted a pool. I told them if they did good in school I would buy them one. Went from a 15' x 3' deep round pool when they were young to a 15'x30' oval and then to a 18'x34' oval that pretty much carried them through college! They are work and a little expensive for chemicals but with the heat we get in Louisiana they were worth every penny! Wife and I miss not having one at our new house.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jump n
We are looking at getting an inground pool. Lots of questions to be asked. We are looking at a 16 x 36 ft pool, 4ft depth the whole thing. We have 2 boys, ages 6 and 8. They would use it nonstop, I'm fairly convinced. I think we may wait 1 more year though. We have been quoted anywhere from 35 to 60K for an inground. Plumbing, electrical work, concrete, moving utilities, sprinklers, etc... All adds up. We'll see what happens.
I am curious to know why put in an inground pool and only make it 4' deep. Why go to all the work to put it in ground but only go 4' deep. There must be a good reason as I have heard others talk about it but I just don't get it. Above ground pools are 4' and I thought the advantage of in-ground was so you can go deeper.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:22 AM
More usable for younger kids. Most of the time they just want to splash around. Set up a volleyball net, basketball hoop, float around, etc...
Kids can touch easy. No slide to fall off of. Called a sports pool. Just pricing them now, so I'll know more this week.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:51 AM
Omg 30-60k for a inground pool. WOW

2nd mortgage hello!

I dunno I think the above ground setup would be perfect for my family and I. Plus I could get kinda creative with the decking ideas for spruce up the back yard and add flavor to the not to "impressive" above ground pool.

Its something to think about, im going to do a little in person pricing and stuff when I find a dealer. See what the deal is I found top of the line above ground kits with all the equipment needed for right at 5k, prob 2 more for install and 2 for decking maybe come out at 10k with it finished. I dunno we will see, got alot of stuff to get paid off before we tackle it but it sounds like the boat is out of the question for now.

I put it out of the equation myself, just like previously mentioned its a dern hassel no where to put it during off season and the fact that I get bored on the lake where do I go, I go home. If i get bored in the pool well I just walk into the living room and watch tv. hehe

Post more info gys when you get ur projects done!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
o yea they are not cheap... i guess if i lived down south id have a different outlook on them. up here we only get 3 months tops to use them so....

Old 06-15-2009, 05:38 AM

This here would almost perfect for my place, except a few minor changes like stair relocation and possibly different stained wood. But I like how its setup with the deck large enough to have a patio set and do some grilling without getting in the way of ppl gettin in and out of the pool. Seems better each time I look at it but I better be ready to spend 10G plus on it. I think I found a kit id be happy with looking at over 4g just for the equipment.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:39 AM
Since your deck is already 5' of the ground the above picture should be perfect for what you want. You could walk out the patio doors right onto the pool deck. Go for it.
The best place in the World is at home.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Tumba
Since your deck is already 5' of the ground the above picture should be perfect for what you want. You could walk out the patio doors right onto the pool deck. Go for it.
The best place in the World is at home.
Oh yeah thats exactly what we imagined, BBQ's out there parties for the kids etc. Really a pool IMO I would only sit and float around a 30ft'er would be great for some swiming too.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by jump n
More usable for younger kids. Most of the time they just want to splash around. Set up a volleyball net, basketball hoop, float around, etc...
Kids can touch easy. No slide to fall off of. Called a sports pool. Just pricing them now, so I'll know more this week.
Maybe but those younger kids will be much bigger in just a few years. My 6yr old rarely swims in the shallow end anymore. He likes to go where the bigger kids are swimming. Also, come July and August a 4' deep pool will feel like bathwater. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Suspended
We have had a inground pool for about 5 years now. Me and my dad did a lot of the work getting it ready to cut down on some of the costs. We have a DE filter (illegal in california and some other states) and aquabot (a pool cleaner that runs off a 110 outlet and does a kickass job) and a nature 2 purifier (ionizes the water [i think] and cuts WAY back on the amount of chlorine required). We throw some clarifier in there everyonce in a while, hose off the DE filter, and its good to go.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:18 AM
looks good. u will need a permit for the pool because it will have a heater and a pump. i know in my county here in southern cali u need to have a fence around the pool at least 5 ft high, with no more than 3" gap in between the rails. also there has to be a gate that opens out, not in. hope ur county/city is not that strict

Old 06-16-2009, 03:32 PM
migs right check your city byaws see what you need. ive been installing pools for 6 years now. the codes for up here are above, either need a fence around the pool or have a folding and locking ladder (if no deck) to prevent access and ingrounds need a least 5 ft fence around.
imo i prefer ingrounds, they are more but look at it this way. you buy your truck for 20 30 grand lasts you 5/10 years, a pool is the same amount but lasts aleast 25 years and adds value to your house.
above grounds are nice because you can take them when you move tho and if your handy with a couple of wrenches, a level and a transit you and a couple of buddy's can do it yourselfs.
oh yea if you get a above ground get a liner that has a lock in lip, the roll over style is ugly and a pain in the ***

Old 06-16-2009, 05:46 PM
shift are you speaking about a inground, or above ground setup for 30Gish?

Old 06-16-2009, 06:46 PM
inground's, 16x32 and thats canadian too lol. above grounds are 2500 to 4000 depending on size

Old 08-14-2015, 09:10 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Where I live in NC, a building permit is required if you spend $500 or more on an improvement or REPAIR.
A permit was required when my two heat pumps were replaced.
A permit was required when the siding was replaced.
It may vary depending on the county you live in.
If you want a pool, I say go for it! Life is short. Have fun!

Quick Reply: Pools!