Pools!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pools!

Whats up guys. The wife has been begging me to get some info together about doing a above ground pool/deck maybe by next summer.

We drove to a more prosperous city in hopes of finding a dealer who could shed some light on a setup and what you get for this much $$.

But we came up short and didn't find any dealers or information. So if you got one I would love to know your perspective on em, and how much it ran you for everything. Aprox how much it costs to own em and keep them up, and a picture if you can.

Thanks guys!

Old 06-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no pool supply shops around you?? pools are a big pain ..youll spend more time maintaining,vacumning,chemical checking etc... we have a 25,000 gallon inground at the apartment complex i work at and i can easily kill 3-4 hours vacumning and maintaining it..granted its alot more swimmers etc.. you definitely want to find a reputable pool installer..call your home owners insurance ..see how much to get that covered. alot of stuff to consider.

Last edited by keith97xlt; 06-13-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Actually tryin to talk her into getting a boat instead lol. When she was little she had a pool at her parents house B4 they split up. They used to have parties and stuff around the pool etc, I think in her heart those memories still hold alot of happiness. She wants that for our kid/kids, might just wait to see how much $$ she's makin in a couple years!

Old 06-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Were are you at? How much land do you have? How big do you want? These are all things you need to consider, I have grown up around the pool inderstry and their is alot of veribales and things you can do to a pool, just like your truck.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:15 AM
Welp, the house sits on a crawspace somewhat of 4ft in the back and 2 in the front. The rear deck is about 5ft off the ground. From the house to the deck we got a nice sliding door.

I think the plan would be to take that deck off, get a above ground installed directly behind the house, or slightly to the left. Then have a contractor build a deck around the entire thing or close to it. I have only been in one above ground, I want something thats going to be of some value when re-saling. I would imagine good decking, and a good pool in the first place would go hand in hand. I have room behind the house. and im in North Carolina.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:16 AM
Oh yeah, would my state or local goverment have specs say how close or far away it has to be??

Old 06-14-2009, 01:49 AM
getting a permit for the build will be a pain in the ***. different counties have different permit laws. my dad owns a hardscape/landscape/maintenance company here in cali and he always has trouble getting permits for certain builds..granted alot of the work is done is busy hollywood. but just consider the permit issue

Trending Topics

Old 06-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
You certainly are a glutton for punishment -- I was thinking when I read your post that the only thing that's a bigger PIA than a pool is a boat! But hey -- it's your money, not mine.....

Old 06-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Suspended
why not get an in ground pool? my uncle has a above ground w/ a really nice deck but i still think it looks cheap.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:22 PM
We have an inground pool and though it can sometimes be a pain it is worth it for us. With an automatic chlorinator, automated pool cleaner (aquabot), and 2 kids who love to help maintain it, it is not that much work. The kids absolutely love it. Great exercise and much better than sitting in the house when it gets hot out. It's also nice for me after working in the un-air conditioned plant for 10+ hours each day. Nice way to relax.
I open it and close it myself so that saves a lot of money also.

It's 70 degrees here today and the kids are begging me to go swimming today. On my days off they wake up and put on their swimsuits hoping to swim right away. Another nice thing is in July and August we will swim early morning, go back out in the afternoon and then again after dinner. Very relaxing when you add grilling out and a little beer also. I expect that as the kids get older all their friends will want to hang out and swim all summer long.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:25 PM
keep pushing for the boat lol

Old 06-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by ddellwo
You certainly are a glutton for punishment -- I was thinking when I read your post that the only thing that's a bigger PIA than a pool is a boat! But hey -- it's your money, not mine.....
Ah, we live in a lake town. everyone here has a boat. Ive grew up with boats not a biggie.

I wouldn't mind having a pool over a boat mainly due to the fact i have never had a pool. Id rather have a couple quads or dirtbikes to be honest but shes the one with the money lol.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:04 PM
get an hottub.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Being that a above ground you shouldn't need a permit since it is not a perminit item for the deck you might need on. I believe the pool will get used more since you don't have to go any were to use it. With your set up an above ground would be the best thing, miantence isn't really that bad, just make sure you get a good test kit, and to make it even easier a robotic cleaner. I am not to famliar with the waether in NC, but here in WA ours are already open and we don't winterize untill late Sep.-Oct.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:39 PM
We are looking at getting an inground pool. Lots of questions to be asked. We are looking at a 16 x 36 ft pool, 4ft depth the whole thing. We have 2 boys, ages 6 and 8. They would use it nonstop, I'm fairly convinced. I think we may wait 1 more year though. We have been quoted anywhere from 35 to 60K for an inground. Plumbing, electrical work, concrete, moving utilities, sprinklers, etc... All adds up. We'll see what happens.

Quick Reply: Pools!