DSL vs Cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2001, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DSL vs Cable

My wife are going to be building a new house this fall, and we can have upgraded cable run for internet/cable service. We don't care for the cable company in the area, but I think they are the only ones available in the new subdivision. Also, currently using AOL, but we know there are better deals out there. Anybody use AT&T or other internet provider (Qwest)? Just trying to figure out what our best option is. I really don't want to pay $40 monthly for internet access, but I'm sick of my current slow 56K modem. I'm not computer savvy, but any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

------------------
00 supercab, 5.4,4x4, 3.55 rear, Superchip, Luverne black nerf bars, Kenwood kdc6011 HU, Kenwood cd662 changer, Memphis 6.5 front component speakers

Old 06-05-2001, 12:33 AM
Hey Jumpn I think I can help. I am no computer guru either but I have used both Quest DSL and now have ATT athome network in my home. Had DSL till last Fall and must say I really enjoyed it. Was super easy to setup and even easier to network with my laptop with the external modem. Got rid of it cuz the $50 monthly (taxes included) was pretty steap. Instead I got the athome network by AT&T through the cable line. Its really great to, probably faster than DSL IMO. Did have to have it installed by a certified installer but the fee was waived due to a big promotion here in Colorado. The also had a $20 month deal for the first 6 months (no contract) that made me switch to them. Overall for the average guy I think either one is ok. Make sure you can get these services in your area. YOud be suprised the places that cant get it (very sporatic in Denver) I warn you though, once you get it, you wont ever be able to use dial up anymore. No more hassles of dialin up or those slow download and upload speeds! Hope this helped!

------------------
Jeff Randol
2000 Ford F150
Ext. Cab 4x4 Lariat
5.4 Auto, Off Road Package, Fully Loaded
& lovin it!!
MODS: KN Air Filter
Glasspack exhaust

Upcoming: AMSOIL Dual Oil filter system, FIPK, Fiberglass Topper, Spray-In Bedliner, Wood Dash Kit

Old 06-05-2001, 04:51 AM
Well, dsl in my area is very expensive. My service costs $80 a month. Cable service costs about $40 a month.

I went with dsl because of security issues. I feel that my phone line is more secure than a cable modem is since on a cable modem, you're sharing the same coax line with everybody else on that particular node (or whatever it's called).

I also know of people who have cable modems and have experienced bandwidth problems when they get stuck on the same coax with bandwidth hogs like gamers, major Napster users, etc.

My local cable company is barely able to deliver my tv signal 24/7 and their customer service really sucks. Should I expect any better service if I got a cable modem? I don't think so.

Finally, during power outtages, the dsl system keeps running because the phone company has backup power. Everytime there's a power outtage, cable service goes down.

No matter what you get, just make sure you install a firewall. You'd be amazed at how often people try to hit my system.

Old 06-05-2001, 06:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jumpn'-
Being a networking geek by trade, I might be able to help. First, the question of using a modem line and AOL versus cable or DSL. If you are paying $22\month for AOL plus $12-$15\month for a 2nd phone line, that almost equals the $40\month for cable-based Internet access. Given the HUGE performance boost of cable over dial-up, it's a no brainer. CABLE!

Now, cable versus DSL. That depends on where you leave. It most cases, DSL is more expensive than cable-based Internet access. No matter where you leave, in order to reach the speed(bandwidth) capabilities of cable, you would be spending a heap-o-dough on DSL. Again, for the speed, it becomes a money issue. Cable=less money+faster speeds.

So, if going with cable-based Internet access, just be aware of a couple of things. Dennis is correct. Cable access is based upon shared-node technology. If you live in any area with alot of cable(Internet) subscribers, you can see a hit on performance at times. I live in the Baltimore Metro area, and have not experienced this to date with my cabem modem and Internet access. Secondly, and most importantly, (Dennis is right again ) you will need to install a personal firewall. With cable access, your PC in available from the Internet as long as its turned on. To protect yourself, download ZONE ALERT(free) or BLACK ICE. Both are great products and protect your PC from the nasty people!

Hope this helps...good luck with you choice.

------------------
Jeff's Expy: 2000 Wedgewood Blue Expy XLT 5.4L 4x4, C&C group, beige leather interior, captain's chairs, 6 CD Changer, towing package, Mobil1 5W-30 Synthetic w/ Puralator filter

MODS
  • Ford all-weather floor mats (2/15/00)
  • Ford Bug Deflector (2/15/00)
  • Superchip (3/11/00)
  • Airaid (3/23/00)
  • Edelbrock IAS shocks (3/23/00)
  • Under Seat Locking Storage Drawer (6/6/00)
  • MPC Rear Air Foil (7/2/00)
  • Ford fog lamps (11/15/00)
  • Wizard Super-White Headlamps and Foglamps (1/15/01)
  • Gibson Swept Side catback (2/8/01)
  • Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar (2/8/01)
  • Ventshade Window Ventvisors (3/4/01)
  • Stull Billet Grill (4/21/01)
  • APC Clear Corners (4/21/01)
  • Nokia Hands-Free Phone System (5/7/01)
  • PIAA Super White Running Board Lamps (5/8/01)
  • Michelin CrossTerrain 255/70R16 Tires (5/30/01) (*Due to Ford Recall)
  • Energy Suspension Front Anti-Sway Bar Poly Bushings Set (6/2/01)

Old 06-05-2001, 06:33 AM
Jag
Jumpn....I see you're from Omaha.

I switched to Qwest On-Line in April and have been satisfied. They have a pretty good tech service which I have used a few times (nothing related to their service). I previously had a dial up account with Radiks (Earthlink), but became disatisfied with their service, sometimes connecting at less than 44 kbps with a 56 kbps modem, or not being able to connect at all.

$40 a month is pricey, but I'm satisified and have not had any problems. If your computer already has an ethernet card, you'll save some money on the installation. I was paying $20 per month to Radiks, I figured another $20 would be no big deal.

My $0.02.

I forgot to mention that mine is a cable modem...I get about 700 - 900 kbps connection, depending on the time of day, etc.

------------------

1998 F-150 XLT Supercab 4X4
  • Silver Metallic Clearcoat
  • Med. graphite cloth interior
  • 4.6 l. V-8
  • Off Road Package
  • 3.55 Reg. Axle
  • Am/FM/CD factory radio
  • Captains Chairs
  • Borla Split Rear Dual Exhaust
  • Bedliner
  • Hood deflector
  • Ventshades
  • Trenz billet #5 low clearance antenna
  • Torsion bars cranked 3 turns

[This message has been edited by Jag (edited 06-05-2001).]

Old 06-05-2001, 07:29 AM
If you loves games, get DSL. If you just want browsing and downloading, get cable..

I had both

------------------
97 F150 XLT: Two-Tone Green and Tan, V6 4.2L Auto Trans 4X4, 3.55 gears, 265/75/16 Dueler AT's, Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks
MODS:Airaid FIPK, Superchip, Ravin Z55 Exhaust SI/SO
GOODIES:Kameleon Head Unit w/12 disk cd changer, JVC 4ch 560watt poweramp, Bazooka Tube, Boston Acoustic 5x9's, Tinted Back, Westin Nerf Bars..

Old 06-05-2001, 07:45 AM
Since your building from scratch. Make sure you fully wire your house with Cat5 so you can move and install computers like you would phones or TV's. Then you just put your DSL or cable modem in a central computer, make it your server (proxy server) and access the net from multile computers in your house. If you change or upgrade your service, you only mess with your server that way. Unless you have to sign some real long contract (which I doubt) go with the cheapest up front. As DSL gets cheaper (and it will) switch over at that point.

------------------
- 2001 F150 Harley Davidson Special
- 1993 Mazda Miata, wifes car
- 1994 Harley Davidson Heritage
- 1976 Honda CB750K, Original
- 1965 Honda 305 Dream, Original
- 1971 Triumph Trophy 650, Original
- 1971 Norton Commando
- 1970 Honda Trail 90, Original
- Yamaha 500 Short Tracker, racing #69
- 1984 Yamaha Virago 1000, wifes bike
- 1981 Honda Passport 70, wifes bike

Trending Topics

Old 06-05-2001, 08:42 PM
Jumpn
I don't know anything about the service providers in your area, but I have to tell you for the price a cable modem is the way to go. Sometimes the cable modems can slow down a bit, but even when slow it is a huge improvement over a dial up connection.

As far as dial up service, I don't see why so many people like AOL, I hate it. Many of the dial up providers offer a free first month of service, so give one or two of them a try and see if you like them.

------------------
http://donf150.tripod.com/Welcome/id6.html

http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4294607313

Old 06-06-2001, 04:52 AM
I have cable as well having had AOL previously and I am very satisfied. I never have trouble with performance since I doubt most people in my neighborhood even have a computer, allot of my neighbors are older retired people.

------------------
97 F-150 S/C 4x4 ORP XLT 4.6 K&N , Flowmaster w/dual tailpipes, Bosch+4 plugs,Ford 9mm wires,Superchip.Patriot fiberglass toneau cover, Westin chrome step bars.

Links:

SoundDomain

Ford vs Chevy

Old 06-06-2001, 11:26 PM
Thumbs up

Sounds like cable will be the way to go for us. I don't recall how much the cable upgrade cat 5 was, but the builder said it is the way to go for future cable systems. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Old 06-07-2001, 12:26 AM
Talking

Go with the DSL...i did the Cable and it sucked....lots of lag. DSL is more reliable.

Old 06-07-2001, 12:55 AM
I have cable and have had no problems, very fast and only $25, but I only live about a
quater mile from the cable company so I guess I really don't have to worry about
shareing bandwith...

------------------
2000 f-150 XLT 4x4 4.6L Black W/black out package, K&N air and oil filters, Ravin Z55,
Wants:
Superchip
Okole wet seat covers

Old 06-07-2001, 03:36 PM
I've had cable, and now I have DSL. I went with cable initially mainly because they offered static IP. Not every provider does this, of course, and from some of them, you won't even get a public IP, static or dynamic. This is good and bad, mostly on security issues.

I'm not a network geek, but I am an experienced user so I could take measures to make my system reasonably secure even with a public static IP. I was running my personal web server and a few other server apps. (note: this usually violates conditions of use) I could also connect to my home computer using VNC (Virtual Network Computing) client from literally half the world away.

I went from that to a condo where the entire complex was networked, and then relayed via wireless microwave through other highrise condos, and eventually to the provider. Man, what a security joke that was... I could run a sniffer or scanner easily downloaded from the net and see virtually everything, practically every bit of interesting unencrypted traffic which includes most mail passwords (and how many of you here use the same password for mail access and for other more sensitive access?) and browsing habits. In fact in many instances, it was just a few clicks from Network Neighborhood to complete access. (Windows security? What security?) I didn't abuse the access; it was more or less one bored evening's worth of, "Let's see if I can..." And then finding out, "Holy crap, look what I can do!" And I'm not even a trained expert, and just have about a decade's worth of osmosis from my more '31337' (though they'd never deign to use that ghetto 'l33t speak) friends. Let me tell you, I locked my computer up nice and tighter after that experience, and eventually went to a linux box for proxy server.

Now I have a DSL with a dynamic IP. I've eased off a bit on the security in some ways, but much tighter on others. In fact, my "sensitive" stuff are on a computer that is not connected to the home network. I just connect it to the network for application updates or other similar uses. I figure unless they break in physically while I'm gone, or figure out a way to install a trojan horse during those relatively brief moments I connect that computer to the network, I'm pretty secure. As for my other computers, only thing I have on there would be embarassing at most -- like dinner recipes that would come out tasting like crap or a couple of drunken photos that shouldn't affect me as long as I refrain from running for a political office.

Anyway, I may have drifted a bit... But I think many network experts would agree with me that security should be one of primary concerns when you are deciding between cable and DSL. Both have some pros and cons, but they can all be remedied one way or the other. For example, someone with a cable modem and no public IP may be relatively immune from a random attack from some wannabe hax0r in China, but someone in his node -- which could be quite a few -- may be able to waltz right in. Someone with a dynamic IP and DSL may not have that worry, but if that Chinese hacker runs a port scanner on that IP (which could be obtained from a site the hacker maintains) then he may get screwed without even knowing. Sadly, it's not all that difficult to set up a webpage trap with a load of "attractive words" as meta tags to rate high on search engines, and then log all sorts of computer information. For example, this message board (I am NOT saying that this board is a trap!!! So please don't take offense) logs your IP address, as you can plainly see.

I hope my rambling hasn't scared anyone. Either way, bandwidth increase is definitely worth it! Man, I remember when I was happy with my 14.4K upgrade from 2400 "baud" (a dead term now) modem, so I could play MUDs faster... A much more primitive and innocent time that was.... (although it was then I learned how to use a packet sniffer :P )

------------------
Early 90's Ford Probe -- mods: stereo stolen to reduce total weight. Speed gain negligible, unfortunately.
Late 80's Honda Spree scooter -- mods: plastic milk crate tied to the back to carry one and a half bags of grocery. Custom-made cafeteria tray-like hard plastic tonneau cover to keep the grocery bags dry in rain.
'89 Honda CBR600F1 -- mods: Newtonian Physics mod, courtesy of 30 mph collision with a VW Rabbit. Suitably chagrined.
'92 Toyota 4Runner -- mods: Rugged Exterior Package, of mud and occasional dings and dents. Free of charge.
'95 Mustang GT Conv. -- mods: hey, no joking around this one. This was my baby.
'99 Lexus RX300 -- mods: Good looking girlfriend mod. Costs continues to add up. Honk and throw money.
'01 F150 Harley. mods: Beautiful gf mod climbed off Lexus and climbed on F150. Darn! (j/k, honey ) Dealer mod: an ugly dealer plate holder in front. Gotta... get it... OFF!

[This message has been edited by chaean (edited 06-07-2001).]

Old 06-07-2001, 10:47 PM
I guess it really comes down to your local provider. I tried getting DSL and waited for months. Got pissed and got Optimum Online cable from Cablevision. Set up was a snap and it is incredibly fast. Very happy with it.

[This message has been edited by whitengray (edited 06-07-2001).]

Quick Reply: DSL vs Cable