Michael Phelps In Good Company

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Stealth
I've never smoked pot.
Your not the only one! I went to a private boys grammar and high school (catholic) where any drug you wanted was available, as well as booze, this was in the late 70's & 80's. My parents always smoked and drank heavily too but for whatever reason I never felt the need for weed. I drink today on occasion a few beers, wine, martinis, margaritas and even shots of Jager Mesiter but no weed. YMMV

FWIW- I do agree with Kellogg for dropping him. An average 4-6 year old eating cereal doesn't need to find out at that age that their favorite role model likes a few hits of the ole bong on occasion, TMI at that age, IMHO. And I could care less who does it or doesn't...we all don't have to follow the herd!
Its ok to be different.

Last edited by BayouSupercrew; 02-07-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HEY, let's put up a list of child molesters to quantify the feelings of someone who wants to touch toddler hiney but just can't seem to muster up the gumption!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by SmokeyBear
HEY, let's put up a list of child molesters to quantify the feelings of someone who wants to touch toddler hiney but just can't seem to muster up the gumption!
Yeah! Because everyone knows that smoking pot and child molestation are really the same thing!

Dude, you have serious issues.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Old 02-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by PKRWUD
Yeah! Because everyone knows that smoking pot and child molestation are really the same thing!

Dude, you have serious issues.
I don't have issues, I have subscriptions. And NO I wasn't comparing smoking pot to child molestation, I was simply trying to convey the sillyness of listing other "famous" pot smokers to lessen the sting of this pot smokers infraction. Didn't your mamma ever use the ol' "If jimmy jumped off a cliff, would you?" routine? Lighten up, Francis.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Listing famous people isn't "silly" IMHO.

It shows, you can be a perfectly good, contributing member of society. Its doesn't make you "go mad' or become a "burnout". There are every day people who smoke pot, and you have no idea. It shows you, pot doesn't make you who you are. You can smoke pot, and still be a world record holding, swimming champion. A boxing champ, a football star, a scientist, a founding father of this GREAT country. It shows (contrary to popular belief) that not all stoners are useless. Its a great way to combat the stereotype.

As for being worried some 6 year old, while eating his Kellogs, and searching online, comes across the fact Phelps has hit a bong, then goes out to buy smoking device and "product"..... all because he had seen Phelps do it ? Come on. Slippery slope if I have ever heard one. You then go on to say we don't have to follow the herd.... kinda contradictory, isn't it ????

If your that worried about impressions, do you simply lock your child up in the basement ? With sound proof walls ?? Don't let him near anyone ?? You child is FAR, FAR more likely to begin smoking pot at some kind of party, or gathering with friends. Some friends will smoke, and he/she will join. I have never met someone who started smoking because they had heard that someone on there cereal box also smokes. You must never go 5 MPH over the speed limit, huh ? Far more dangerous the smoking. You never drink in front of him ? Let others drink in front of him ? I can go on and on, but you get the point. Its the people around him, friends and family, and the experiences in his life that will shape who he is, not some random guy on some cardboard box whom he had never met. Sorry, aint gunna buy that.

Let me ask you, what will you do when you kids asks to watch TV ? How about play video games ?? Much more exposure there. Or online.

And again, the point of listing famous people, is to show no negative side effects that are often cast upon pot smokers by people who have never touched the stuff.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by BayouSupercrew
An average 4-6 year old eating cereal doesn't need to find out at that age that their favorite role model likes a few hits of the ole bong on occasion, TMI at that age, IMHO.
The average 4-6 year old barely understands what the Olympics are, much less what a drug, or even a bong is!

Some people....

- NCSU

Old 02-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Yes, you're right, I've never touched the stuff. (I've actually touched it many times but I've never smoked it) Anyways, I'll tell you what has skewed my thoughts on it. Even when I was young I had no urge to alter my state of mind with anything, drugs, alcohol, etc. But I have had several friends who did. One was my step sister. It started when she was 14 or so just smoking a little pot, then it led to a LOT of pot, then it led to coke, and heroin and so on. She got pregnant at 17, had the baby taken at 19 because the police found her in a hotel room passed out with some random dopehead and the baby was wandering around outside by herself. Then she became a stipper and she got into a LOT of other seethy things. Long story short, no one knows where she is now or even if she's alive. Her little brother was pulled into smoking a little pot "just on occasion". He spent 3 years in juvi, 5 years in prison and he can't write his own name so being a productive member of society is out for him, I expect to hear he's dead soon. I have numerous cousins who are a drag on society, that won't work, but somehow found a spouse that lets them stay home and draw a check who ALL just smoked a little weed when they were young. I have a brother in law that has NEVER worked a day in his life, has been to jail numerous times, steals from every family member he can INCLUDING ME. He started smoking pot "just a little on the weekends".

So that being said, EVERY person who I've personally known to smoke pot is now scraping by, leeching off society, and generally a miserable piece of crap. Now I know you're going to say it's not because of the pot. Well members of the same family of these people went on to be just fine. The only difference... They didn't smoke pot. Yeah you can name a page full of famous people who smoked pot and did just fine, but I'd hazard a guess that if you could question every person in jail or in rehab or in the homeless shelters, or on the street, a majority would say they started out smoking a little harmless pot. I've seen it in my own family, I've seen it in my wife's family and I see it every day on the job. There are a few who can handle it and be productive but they are severely outnumbered by those who cannot.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by SmokeyBear
Yes, you're right, I've never touched the stuff. (I've actually touched it many times but I've never smoked it) Anyways, I'll tell you what has skewed my thoughts on it. Even when I was young I had no urge to alter my state of mind with anything, drugs, alcohol, etc. But I have had several friends who did. One was my step sister. It started when she was 14 or so just smoking a little pot, then it led to a LOT of pot, then it led to coke, and heroin and so on. She got pregnant at 17, had the baby taken at 19 because the police found her in a hotel room passed out with some random dopehead and the baby was wandering around outside by herself. Then she became a stipper and she got into a LOT of other seethy things. Long story short, no one knows where she is now or even if she's alive. Her little brother was pulled into smoking a little pot "just on occasion". He spent 3 years in juvi, 5 years in prison and he can't write his own name so being a productive member of society is out for him, I expect to hear he's dead soon. I have numerous cousins who are a drag on society, that won't work, but somehow found a spouse that lets them stay home and draw a check who ALL just smoked a little weed when they were young. I have a brother in law that has NEVER worked a day in his life, has been to jail numerous times, steals from every family member he can INCLUDING ME. He started smoking pot "just a little on the weekends".

So that being said, EVERY person who I've personally known to smoke pot is now scraping by, leeching off society, and generally a miserable piece of crap. Now I know you're going to say it's not because of the pot. Well members of the same family of these people went on to be just fine. The only difference... They didn't smoke pot. Yeah you can name a page full of famous people who smoked pot and did just fine, but I'd hazard a guess that if you could question every person in jail or in rehab or in the homeless shelters, or on the street, a majority would say they started out smoking a little harmless pot. I've seen it in my own family, I've seen it in my wife's family and I see it every day on the job. There are a few who can handle it and be productive but they are severely outnumbered by those who cannot.
Wow....

First off, I am sorry for what you have seen. Sounds like a little much for anyone. But what doesn't kill ya.... as they say.

Now, to get semi-serious. You can't actually beleive pot had ANYTHING to do with what happened to the people you listed, do you ? You think without pot, they would of gone on to live a "normal" and "good" life ?? You don't think another drug, another substance, another person would have entered in ?

By your logic, you must think guns kill people ? Ban all guns ?? The guy wouldn't og gone into columbine and shot the kids up, if guns weren't around. They would have been perfectly good natured boys, right ?

Don't blame the person, blame something around them. Easier that way.

I have a "friend" (good friend's younger brother) who has never touched the stuff. Its a "hippie" drug for lazy people. Instead, he has problems with speed and coke. Drinks energy drinks by the dozen (literally will have 1-4 coffee drinks and adds multiple extra shots, then will have 6 energy drinks). All this on top of the drugs he scores. He steals from people close to him. In and out of jail constantly. Pot has nothing to do with a criminal mentality. Ask any psych major. People who are criminally minded, or have other "issues" tend to turn to pot. They turn to pot because its easily found, and readily available. They then move on to other drugs, because pot isn't enough. You see:

Starting smoking a little.... something was wrong, she was looking for answers or a way to push the thoughts out.

Smoking more.... pot wasn't doing it for her anymore. Its far too much a mild drug to "get away".

Other drugs, and other sleezy acts.... looking for attention, love, looking for "fun" or rebeling. Whatever the case may be, its not the pot making her do this, its something far bigger, far deeper rooted. See what I am saying ?

Old 02-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
Wow....

First off, I am sorry for what you have seen. Sounds like a little much for anyone. But what doesn't kill ya.... as they say.

Now, to get semi-serious. You can't actually beleive pot had ANYTHING to do with what happened to the people you listed, do you ? You think without pot, they would of gone on to live a "normal" and "good" life ?? You don't think another drug, another substance, another person would have entered in ?

By your logic, you must think guns kill people ? Ban all guns ?? The guy wouldn't og gone into columbine and shot the kids up, if guns weren't around. They would have been perfectly good natured boys, right ?

Don't blame the person, blame something around them. Easier that way.

I have a "friend" (good friend's younger brother) who has never touched the stuff. Its a "hippie" drug for lazy people. Instead, he has problems with speed and coke. Drinks energy drinks by the dozen (literally will have 1-4 coffee drinks and adds multiple extra shots, then will have 6 energy drinks). All this on top of the drugs he scores. He steals from people close to him. In and out of jail constantly. Pot has nothing to do with a criminal mentality. Ask any psych major. People who are criminally minded, or have other "issues" tend to turn to pot. They turn to pot because its easily found, and readily available. They then move on to other drugs, because pot isn't enough. You see:

Starting smoking a little.... something was wrong, she was looking for answers or a way to push the thoughts out.

Smoking more.... pot wasn't doing it for her anymore. Its far too much a mild drug to "get away".

Other drugs, and other sleezy acts.... looking for attention, love, looking for "fun" or rebeling. Whatever the case may be, its not the pot making her do this, its something far bigger, far deeper rooted. See what I am saying ?
I DO believe the pot was what started it, IF they had never been introduced to it I firmly believe they would not have started down the road that led them to ruin. Pot, like guns is only as evil as the intent behind it, if you let them, both can ruin lives. Pot by itself, growing in the field never hurt anyone, it's the person themselves that let's the drug take over. You are right on that point but why let yourself be pulled into that kind of life? Pot may not CAUSE the problem, but it will NEVER solve it and most of the time it will only compound it.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Maybe pot can kill ya...

Newsflash; this just in...

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/...2740&GT1=31025

It seems that, right or wrong, doobies can cause one's little boys to become cancerous...

TSC

Old 02-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Old 02-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by efuehrin
You call that list "good company"?

You need to raise your standard man.

Very true.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I know pot makes me a lazy worthless piece of crap!

Some people can function perfectly fine on it though. ? Not me though.

The few times I have smoked, I looked like the typical dopehead poster boy, laughing hysterically, staring at the wall, paranoia, munchies!

I'm a mess.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by efuehrin
You call that list "good company"?

You need to raise your standard man.
Originally Posted by HKnFORD
Very true.
Jeeze, with standards like yours why do you hang around here???

So you guys don't consider our founding fathers, successful businessmen, musicians, actors, authors, composers, political leaders good enough company?

I'm curious as to who actually meets your exceedingly high standards for "good company"?

Originally Posted by referee54
It seems that, right or wrong, doobies can cause one's little boys to become cancerous...
I read that same story (different article) this morning. Several problems with the "results". First off, they had a very small sample of people.
The study is based on findings from 369 men with testicular cancer who were questioned about their history of cannabis use. The results were compared with 979 men who did not have cancer. ...
the size of the study was small. More than three million people smoke cannabis and only a tiny proportion develop the cancer.
Millions smoke pot and only a very small number actually develop cancer.

The more common, slower growing type, called seminoma, was not linked with cannabis use, even though both types have been growing by 3 to 6 per cent a year since the 1950s in the US, UK and other developed countries.
So how does one explain that?

It's like saying doughnuts cause heart disease. If you look at a bunch of fat people with heart problems and ask them if they eat doughnuts, you'll find a large percentage do. Yet millions of people eat doughnuts and don't develop any heart problems. Obviously the doughnut doesn't cause heart disease, but you could conduct a survey (improperly) and write an article that would support that argument.

- NCSU

Quick Reply: Michael Phelps In Good Company