Yalls opinions on Jeeps

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yalls opinions on Jeeps

Okay guys, figured I'd post this here... I got the Accord listed on Craigslist a couple of days ago, already got 3 calls on it, 2 are comin out this weekend to check it out, buy it maybe? (knock on wood..haha) But anyways, bakc to the topic of this thread,, i was browsing autotrader and came across this 01 Wrangler.. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=26

yea, $13,800 is a lot maybe i could get it a lil cheaper, but I dont wanna low-ball the guy ( I HATE when people do that).. and I was wonderin yalls thoughts on Jeeps, in general. I kinda like that Wrangler.. Plus, it's in Jefferson which is like 25 min from where I live

Old 10-07-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm probably going to buy an 06 or 07 Commander before the end of the year. It will be the first Jeep I own also.

My impression of Jeep, mostly ridden in Wranglers and known a million people who have owned them.., maintenance - not the most reliable, modifications are plentiful and fairly easy to do. Replacement parts are cheap and easy to find. Capability off road - surpasses everything out there 4X4, Big 3 and Jap wise. IMO.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats a nice little wrangler. The Jeeps from the mid 90's and the Jeeps now are not much different besides engine configurations and options. The interiors still suck. I'm not impressed with their engines either but I have not driven the new 4.2 v6 is it?

They don't weigh much and cannot pull very well (as far as stuck extractions). They hold up well though, not many problems with the few that I drive.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Some people love em some people hate em.

I personally loved my jeep. I had the 4.0 and it was a reliable, powerful little engine. Its easy to work on and will go forever. The vehicles are great stock and a ton of fun when modded out. I agree with Josiah the interiors could use some work, but they serve their purpose and are still pretty comfortable. When the cash comes around I'll definitely be buying another one.

And the new 4.2 is horrible compared to the 4.0. But then again its just another excuse to do a hemi swap

Old 10-07-2008, 10:59 PM
if i didnt have a truck a jeep is the only other thing i would drive

Old 10-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I've often tried to come up with some line of reasoning that would justify me getting a Wrangler as a daily driver. So far, I haven't come up with anything, but I'm still trying.....

I'm thinking maybe it will be my retirement "beat around town" vehicle, when I no longer have to haul anything substantial for work or drive hundreds of miles at a time to go look at the next job. While I've never actually ridden in one, I can imagine that short wheel base would beat the sh*t out of you after about 5 hours on the highway.....

Old 10-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Suspended
so does this mean your not getting a 04-05 f150?

im looking for a early yj right now for a toy. hopefully get one in the next couple months. i would say get an f150 over a jeep. but if you can't get an f150 then a jeep would be the next thing on my list

Old 10-08-2008, 12:19 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
My parents have a jeep comapss. It works ok. Some minor problmes, buit it wokrs ok. I think that jeeps are fine. The wrangler is problemly the best out of all of tem. I cant really explain now but they are ok.....

Old 10-08-2008, 12:34 AM
My opinion is if it was made after Chrysler took over in 1987, its not a Jeep. The newer models are not that great off road, and not reliable. However if you look at older ones they are awesome off road, I have a 1980 CJ5 that will go just about anywhere you have the stones to point it. It is completely stock, and has 31,000 original miles on it, it is used as a work vehicle when it rains so my 150 doesn't have to go mudding. My best friend had a 04 cherokee, and that thing had more rattles than anything I have ever been in, It blew a hole in the piston on the way down Wolf Creek pass and died, we lost all power steering and brakes we nearly went over the edge before we regained control.
It was in and out of the shop frequently after that until he sold it 4 months later.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
My parents have a jeep comapss. It works ok. Some minor problmes, buit it wokrs ok. I think that jeeps are fine. The wrangler is problemly the best out of all of tem. I cant really explain now but they are ok.....
The Jeep Compass is not a real jeep and will never be. Its a **** poor attempt to attract a different crowd. Jeep lost a lot of respect with that little turd on wheels. It has the off road capability of a Powerwheels toy. Its name shouldn't even be mentioned.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:03 AM
Can't go wrong with a jeep. Tons out there, so there are deals to be made. I'd stick with a Wrangler though. Plenty of power for their size with the 4.0. Tons of stuff to do to them. Certain years have certain problems. I would check out jeepforum.com,(awesome webite), and read up on the body style of the jeep you are looking at, before you buy it. Plus there are tons of deals to be made there on jeeps forsale.
As for the one is the picture. Looks good, never heard of a dana 35 front though. You could do better for that price though. Check that website, there are a couple on there now, that are sick, and built right for around that price. And if you really need some bed space, you can always get an earlier unlimited and then get one of these hardtops. http://www.gr8tops.com/index.php?opt...2&key=29&hit=1

Old 10-08-2008, 08:43 AM
while i keep my F150 around for truck things. Hauling and pulling and such my daily driver is now a jeep wrangler. I love this thing. First the new engine is 3.8 not 4.2. it is tons smoother and faster then the old straight 6. mine is the new JK so it's not the same as the Wrangler you're looking at but this is very smooth at 80 on the freeway, soft top only for me. Not too much for noise from the top as they are now very tight. That said it is a soft top if you want silence buy a lincoln. seats are actually pretty comfy. backseat is a good place to store things but don't torture you're friends by making them ride back there. My seat will be sitting in my garage as soon as I get the garage built. It's really that useless.
I have had no issues out of the drivetrain but it is noisy for a new vehicle, and it shifts like a jeep not like a lexus.
the way i have described it to friends of mine is this if you think you want a jeep you will love it. if you want the best vehicle value, most reliable, best gas mileage, quiet cabin and comfy ride you probably won't be happy with it.
it goes through anything. Got my f150 stuck last winter and just for giggles did circles around with the jeep before digging it out.
the top drops, 'nuff said. lights are ok. Horn on the new ones stinks. Mine went out the first time it hit the mud. Still have to find a quality aftermarket replacement. Tons of mods available.
My truck is nice and comfy to cruise around in but whenever we go places everyone always wants to go in the jeep.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Looks like a nice Jeep. I don't mind paying a little more for a vehicle that has been well cared for because they are hard to find for the most part. It seems most people don't care too much about the second biggest investment they will make and just hammer the crap out of it.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:09 PM
yz250 i still might be gettin a 04-05 F150 just not sure yet i mean im really likin the jeeps but ive always loved trucks, it's just thats a BA jeep already fixed up ya know?? Thanks for all the input guys i'm gonna check out that Jeep forum and ssee what they have for sale there

Old 10-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Jeep = Just Empty Every Pocket

Junk Each and Every Part

Do your part to keep trails clean, keep Jeeps on PAVEMENT !!

When I see a Heep on the trail, I use it as traction.

A Jeep is like a tampon, every pusy has one.

78% of Jeeps are still on the road.... 22% actually made it home.

* this has been a service announcement from the Heep Haters of America.

Quick Reply: Yalls opinions on Jeeps