Unions and Politics...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unions and Politics...

Discuss this link. How do you like being told how to vote?

When combined with political action committees and local unions and other union funders, at least $1 billion of union money (mostly in forced union dues coerced from workers as a job condition) is being dumped into electioneering.

You can bet that the union bosses expect a lot of "change" from Obama next year when it comes to labor law. An Obama administration -- possibly coupled with a filibuster-proof Senate -- will feel a real sense of obligation to repay political debts.

Pro-union or not this is scary.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This just goes to show, union or not, anyone who supports Obama in good faith is totally out of their f'kin' minds.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quintin
This just goes to show, union or not, anyone who supports Obama in good faith is totally out of their f'kin' minds.
x2.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
How do you like being told how to vote?

Pro-union or not this is scary.
I personally wouldn't stay in a situation where I was told how to vote. We'll see in November if people like being told how to vote.

Hey, scott1981's back.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Mallory Factor is a merchant banker and the co-chairman and co-founder of the Monday Meeting, an influential meeting of economic conservatives, journalists and corporate leaders in New York City."

Wow. Merchant banker and an economic conservative that meets with others like him on Mondays. Excellent source.

Didn't see that coming. - Og

Old 09-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by OgRedd
Wow. Merchant banker and an economic conservative that meets with others like him on Mondays. Excellent source.

You'd rather a economic liberal? Oh, that's why we're..... now...

Old 09-23-2008, 07:10 PM
So the difference between the AFL-CIO and the large Evangelistic churches or NRA that support Republicans are what? Oh yeah, the AFL-CIO supports Democrats so what they do is wrong.

Last edited by momalle1; 09-23-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by momalle1
So the difference between the AFL-CIO and the large Evangelistic churches or NRA that support Republicans are what?...
Well, McCain said they were bitter and cling to their jobs and their pensions.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:36 PM
I also read the Free Choice" Act and it's not a good look.
I remember years ago not belonging to a Union and being called "scab" as I crossed the picket lines to work and pay my bills.
Should have been free choice to work or free choice to strike...Kinda Un-American to say the least.

Partisan Politics from either side sucks and it gets worse as time goes by.
We are all Americans and mostly F-150 Truck owners and the Partisan crap sucks here too sometimes.

No matter who does it...wrong is wrong on either side.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by CrAz3D
True. Unions just FORCE their members to contribute. Force union membership is B.S. (so is union membership, PERIOD).
No one makes you take a job at a union shop. Can you be an NRA member without a membership fee? No one is forced.

Originally Posted by Old Dogg™
I also read the Free Choice" Act and it's not a good look.
I remember years ago not belonging to a Union and being called "scab" as I crossed the picket lines to work and pay my bills.
Should have been free choice to work or free choice to strike...Kinda Un-American to say the least.

Partisan Politics from either side sucks and it gets worse as time goes by.
We are all Americans and mostly F-150 Truck owners and the Partisan crap sucks here too sometimes.

No matter who does it...wrong is wrong on either side.
Can't argue with that!

Originally Posted by Raoul
Well, McCain said they were bitter and cling to their jobs and their pensions.
I was thinking it was something like that!

Bottom line, unions support Democrats for the most part for the same reason Evangelists support Republicans, it's the closest thing they have to what they want. Both have been misled for a long time.

Last edited by momalle1; 09-23-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by momalle1
No one makes you take a job at a union shop. Can you be an NRA member without a membership fee? No one is forced.

Bottom line, unions support Democrats for the most part for the same reason Evangelists support Republicans, it's the closest thing they have to what they want. Both have been misled for a long time.
I take it you did not read the link or else you would have seen this:

Top on the union agenda is the so-called "Employee Free Choice Act" (EFCA), which is better described as the Employee "No Free Choice" Act. If it passes, employees would effectively have to declare their support or opposition to unionizing their shop and lose the ability to cast their vote by secret ballot. Under this Act, union organizers would "collect" signed cards from workers that then count as "votes" for unionization. When organizers have the signatures of over fifty percent of employees, the union instantly sweeps every worker into its ranks.

According to Big Labor's logic, employees can only have a "free choice" when union officials stand over them and pressure them to sign the cards. Employees who have been subjected to card check union drives have complained they have signed the cards as a result of coercion and deceptive practices.

Mandatory card check drives will mean that millions more American workers will find themselves in unions and facing the "choice" between paying union dues or being fired. Both George W. Bush and John McCain said they would veto this power grab, while Obama is a co-sponsor and leading advocate.

or

Then there is the ultimate, though rarely spoken, goal of Big Labor: ending the rights of "Right to Work" states to secure the rights of employees to decide for themselves whether or not to join or financially support a union. This could be effected by repealing Section 14(b) of the Taft-Hartley Act. Without this provision, forced unionism would prevail in all states, and states could not protect private sector workers from union demands to pay dues to them as a condition of employment. This is a huge win for unions and pro-union candidates -- literally billions of additional dollars in new coerced dues would flow into Big Labor's coffers which could be used to support pro-Union candidates.

A person is free to choose if they want to join a church, NRA or what ever they want. They are also free to choose how much of their money is given to these groups. What is being tossed around is FORCED union membership complete with FORCED dues. Not quite the same thing.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by wittom
Hey, scott1981's back.
Yes, seems the jury is still out as to if that is a good thing though

Old 09-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
I take it you did not read the link or else you would have seen this:

A person is free to choose if they want to join a church, NRA or what ever they want. They are also free to choose how much of their money is given to these groups. What is being tossed around is FORCED union membership complete with FORCED dues. Not quite the same thing.
I read it, and I've already agreed with og that the law is a bad idea. Either way, it's a large group with a lot of money backing a candidate hoping to get something that will benefit themselves. All of the groups mentioned have done the same thing, backed laws that benefit them and only them, i.e. prohibition, so there is no difference.

You can choose how much you give for NRA membership? There are churches in the US that demand a certain percentage of your salary.

The AFL-CIO can toss this around all they want, it won't happen. They are like all of the other groups that do this, they are not stupid, they ask for something outrageous and hope to get what they really want which is less than what they are proposing.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm in a union. The union supported Billary before Obama got the nod, and now supports Obama. I've got my McCain 08 sticker on the back window of the truck. Nobody is forcing me how to vote. Some people need to grow a pair.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by scott1981
Yes, seems the jury is still out as to if that is a good thing though
I don't know what the suspension was all about but you've survived Ike. That's a good thing. I hope that you're able to recover quickly.

Allies are a good thing.

Quick Reply: Unions and Politics...