Rant...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rant...

I usually lived close enough to my dad where I could easily visit him. However, now, I am stationed in KS and he is home in GA. The thing is my dad is sick, and I try to call him once a week to check up on him. Sometimes we have been known to talk almost everyday. The problem is his damn hearing problem. I will talk to him, and he will answer. Except, his response are not even remotely close to what I said or asked. For instance I told him I took my wife to the Doctors today, and found out she has asthma. His response was, "I'm glad the baby is doing ok". What the ***!? So were talking, and he says, "why do you keep moving away from your phone?" (who does that.. doesn't even make sense) I told him, I haven't moved, the phone is in the exact same position. Were talking again, and he kept answering and responding to things I didn't say. I finally told him what he is doing is getting irritating to me. I have to yell and repeat myself over and over. Know what the **** head said? I need to quit moving the phone away from my face. . I never moved positions (besides why would I move the phone in and out from my face?). Man, most annoying thing ever. I wanted to reach through the phone and punch him in the kidneys.

I love him a lot, but today he really pissed me off. I think this is the first time I wanted to hurt a poor defenseless old man.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know the feeling man... I get the same thing when talking to my mom over the phone, just pisses me off. If you find a remedy let me know LOL

Old 04-17-2008, 11:44 PM
i hear ya. i deal with alot of old folks with my job and there have been times where i want to turn on the AED and just shock em for being so stubborn. it can get frustrating but i bet it means the world to him that you talk that much. have you tried talking on a land line to see if thats much better?

Old 04-18-2008, 06:52 AM
I did call him on the land line. I only have a cell phone. So, it was call phone to land line. But, I call his cell sometimes because we both have Cingular free mobile to mobile. Still, my cell, a sony ericsson w810, not a cheap phone works fine for anyone and everyone else. I just think his hearing is so bad it really sounds like that to him. He has $6,000 hearing aids, but will deny he has a hearing problem. God himself could point his finger at him and say, "YOUR HEARING SUCKS MAN!". My dad would say, "excuse me, what did you say, I couldnt hear you!"

Yeah, that did sound dirty craz3d... Because... Well, I do it when know one is looking when I'm in my truck alone, thinking of you...

P.S. Call me later...

I think it would be easier if he would just admit he couldn't hear instead of blaming you. It's always YOU. You moved the phone, your talking too softly, your phone is bad, your signal is low, anything but.. I have bad hearing.

He's one of those people who will run a red light, hit you, and yell at you for running the red light, even if witnesses and cameras can prove he did it !

PUNCH BABIES IN THE FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by OrdnanceCorps; 04-18-2008 at 06:59 AM. Reason: 24RSGXDF
Old 04-18-2008, 07:40 AM
Same problem, only I live pretty close to my Dad. Only my Dad can't always comprehend. So I got him a computor, big miistake .
He signs up for and downloads every piece o **** on the net, then wants me to come fix it. Then i get the lectures, Sometimes I give up and don't have any contact for about a week and then everything is better. We get along great for a few days.

I don't have enough time to donate to him,my family and job, He causes the most frustration so it is he that is losing out. My wife promissed me when I ge that bad she'll call the family hit man.
Stoped to visit last weekend. He got mad because I was talking to my Mother instead of him. It was a short visit!!!!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Suspended
Well, from the other side of the fence my Dad passed away about four years ago. He had Dementia and Alzheimers and was difficult to talk with for other reasons other than his hearing. I remember some of the same frustrations you guys speak of. However, I would give my right arm to be able to sit down with him and have a talk now. Don't be to hard on them. They won't be around for ever.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Might be worth $0.41 to send him a letter every week...with a self-addressed stamped envelope for his reply.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Ordnance, 40 years from now one of your kids will be ranting the same thing about you. We all turn into grumpy old men. It's an age thing.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by KSUWildcat
Might be worth $0.41 to send him a letter every week...with a self-addressed stamped envelope for his reply.
Or email, txt msg, chat program, etc.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry227
Or email, txt msg, chat program, etc.
Good luck with that. I try to teach my dad (44 yrs old) how to turn on a computer and he's lost before I even press the power button.

Last edited by Raptor05121; 04-18-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by OrdnanceCorps
I usually lived close enough to my dad where I could easily visit him. However, now, I am stationed in KS and he is home in GA. The thing is my dad is sick, and I try to call him once a week to check up on him. Sometimes we have been known to talk almost everyday. The problem is his damn hearing problem. I will talk to him, and he will answer. Except, his response are not even remotely close to what I said or asked. For instance I told him I took my wife to the Doctors today, and found out she has asthma. His response was, "I'm glad the baby is doing ok". What the ***!? So were talking, and he says, "why do you keep moving away from your phone?" (who does that.. doesn't even make sense) I told him, I haven't moved, the phone is in the exact same position. Were talking again, and he kept answering and responding to things I didn't say. I finally told him what he is doing is getting irritating to me. I have to yell and repeat myself over and over. Know what the **** head said? I need to quit moving the phone away from my face. . I never moved positions (besides why would I move the phone in and out from my face?). Man, most annoying thing ever. I wanted to reach through the phone and punch him in the kidneys.

I love him a lot, but today he really pissed me off. I think this is the first time I wanted to hurt a poor defenseless old man.

Dad,
As you know I used to live close enough where I could easily visit you. However, now, I am stationed in KS, far from GA. I know you've been sick, and I've tried to call you once a week to check up on you. Sometimes we have been known to talk almost everyday. Dad, you have a hearing problem and it's very frustrating for me. I talk to you, and you will answer. Except, your response are not even remotely close to what I said or asked. For instance I told you I took my wife to the Doctors today, and found out she has asthma. Your response was, "I'm glad the baby is doing ok". Then you ask me, "why do you keep moving away from your phone?". I tell you, I haven't moved, the phone is in the exact same position. Were talking again, and you keep answering and responding to things I didn't say. I finally told you that this is frustrating for me. I have to yell and repeat myself over and over. Your response is that I need to quit moving the phone away from my face.
I love you dad and I want to comunicate effectively with you. Once a week or so, I'm going to write you and tell you what news I may have. When you get the letter, I'll call and get your response on the phone because I can hear you clearly. I'll then write you again answering any questions you had on the phone.
We could just write back and forth but, as your son it's important for me to hear your voice.
"

If he can handle e-mail send it.
If he can't, hit the print button and mail it.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:06 AM
It is ironic this thread is started. My wife and I were just talking about our fathers this morning. We are dealing with some of the same things you guys are. My Dad buys junk through the mail. When it's delivered he returns it then calls me and says he didn't order anything and keeps getting billed for it! I get to straighten out the mess! The hearing thing is going on here too! I don't think it is going to get any better. They are never wrong! They don't realize they can't think as clearly as they used to. We like challenges don't we?

Quick Reply: Rant...