Hartz Flea Spray Killed my dog

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 01:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by jmeyerholtz
I almost forgot, when i called them they said (It usually doesnt kill the bigger dogs) thats word for word what they said.
It "usually" doesn't kill the bigger dogs, eh?

Well... that's too bad for Hartz... because that's not going to float over too well with the other owners, and probably including yourself.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At this point i just want this off the shelf’s. i found the same product we used at Meijers, K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Pet co. We had the dog for seven years and when we got him he was the worst dog we ever had. he tore up our couch pissed everywhere tear up everything he could. And he was the most stubborn dog ive ever seen. But over time he became the most caring animal we ever had. Its already been 4 months since we lost him and it still brings tears to my eyes when I think about him. Thanks for the comments Please tell everyone you know not to use this product.
Thanks for the warning, I'll avoid those products.

I have a rescued pit bull. I've had her for about 6 months now and she's turned out to be a better dog than I ever hoped for. So I know what you mean.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:07 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Wild Bill
Thanks for the warning, I'll avoid those products.

I have a rescued pit bull. I've had her for about 6 months now and she's turned out to be a better dog than I ever hoped for. So I know what you mean.
I'd would stay away from it.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:20 AM
Suspended
WOW, I'm SOOOO sorry for your loss. I love my dogs like a family member and can't imagine the pain you're in.

At the same time, I want to thank you for the warning...upon reading thing I went and found the shampoo I use....HARTZ! In the trash it goes.

Any idea what ingredient in the shampoo is the one to avoid? I want to make sure the new product I get doesn't do the same thing

Old 02-20-2008, 10:03 AM
after doing a Google on "Hartz Lawsuit" I found a lot of stuff.

A lot of animals dying.

And check of the flea and tick drops... makes dogs go bald but it doesn't kill fleas.

Jeez. I think that's enough to warrant a full blown boycott of Hartz products

Old 02-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by CrAz3D
That's gonna be a BIG lawsuit, yup.
Yup a bunch of lawyers will get rich on that one but the consumer/dog lover will get a coupon for free flea shampoo. Class action suits suck.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Graphics Contributor
i just found out we used it on our german shepard last summer.. Guess were not usin that next time..

Old 02-20-2008, 01:46 PM
I've avoided Hartz since the early 90's when they had blockade or something that was supposed to keep fleas off. The stuff ended up killing like 50% of the animals it was used on..........

Originally Posted by Wild Bill
That's awesome Wild Bill, glad to hear it. My pit rescue is the one on the left in my sig.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Myren
I've avoided Hartz since the early 90's when they had blockade or something that was supposed to keep fleas off. The stuff ended up killing like 50% of the animals it was used on..........

That's awesome Wild Bill, glad to hear it. My pit rescue is the one on the left in my sig.
I'd like to rescue the two puppies on the far right of your sig....they look trapped.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Myren

Cool!

I'll have to get a picture of mine up.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Crewwzin
I'd like to rescue the two puppies on the far right of your sig....they look trapped.
Get a pic of them with their muzzles off

I adopted my pooch from the pound. She was a stray and roughly 4 months old.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Suspended
The dog That got killed from the flea spray, we get from the animal shelter he was a day away from being put to sleep. The people working the said they found him in a abandoned house with no food or water. The owners moved away and left him there. He was about 8 months old.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:04 PM
The dog That got killed from the flea spray, we get from the animal shelter he was a day away from being put to sleep. The people working the said they found him in a abandoned house with no food or water. The owners moved away and left him there. He was about 8 months old.
I don't understand how people can do that!!!! Once upon a time I was looking for an apartment and had my shepherd mix and she was about 45lbs. I went to one place and asked if they had a weight limit and the girl said "Yes, 25lbs." So I go "Well crap!" and the girls eyes get big and she says "Don't get rid of your dog!!" WTF??? Apparently that happens a lot.

jmeyerholtz, at least you gave him some more time and a good home.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Its unfortunate that that has happened, and you have my sympathy! Try to remember in the future that as a family member try not to use anything on your dog that wouldnt go on you first. Again sorry for your loss.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Sorry for your loss

Sorry for the loss of one of your family members.
I just got some hartz 4 in 1 for my dog the other day, I guess it's going in the trash. I also Ask my vet (after reading this post) about hartz and he said it is still the same poison from years ago in a better looking package. For now on I'm just going to use the stuff from the vet (Advantix).
Thanks for the good information, you might have helped in saving my dogs life!!!

Last edited by Ayresusn; 02-21-2008 at 03:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Hartz Flea Spray Killed my dog