Toyota Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ()smoke()
the only way the american automobile market is overtaken is from within...it depends on the purchases of americans, ie, it doesn't matter what toyota builds so much as what people buy--which is a good place to say that imo toyota doesn't so much build what people want as people want what toyota builds (present company excluded of course--i've never cared enough for any vehicle toyota has built to consider purchase either)

this being said, global economics is a complex issue, yet i still purchase new autos manufactured by american-owned companies, albeit for my love of american design rather than my disdain for japanese market share

i remember as a youth, many of us had posters of cars on the walls of our rooms--i don't remember a single japanese car on anyone's wall, yet many of these people grew up and now purchase japanese cars under the percieved (and potentially misguided) notion that japanese cars are of better quality, which isn't really the case presently

i hear your stance, i just see it from another perspective--that competition is vital for an economy such as that of the u.s.

i don't see that the 'sky is falling', so to speak, due to toyota selling pickups--if the sky is indeed falling, it's for reasons that extend much deeper and we have ourselves to blame

I do agree competition is good. Lets face it though Toyota has made huge strides recently and are now the most profitable automaker and 2nd largest in terms of units sold. The American auto manufacturers have done what people requested, quality is far better than it has ever been and warranties have been increased significantly. After Ford making all the right moves I hate to see Toyota sit back and sell cars on a name it developed for itself 20 years ago. Im aggrivated with the American consumer for buying into the percieved better reliabilty of toyota products and not researching as they should. The unions Ford has to deal with also put it at a huge disadvantage. It just seems like made im America holds no value for the American consumer, to me thats a sad sad day. I remeber walking with my grandpa to the tractor supply store and asking the sales people where things were manufacturered so he made sure he was supporting American labor. It seems this current generation doesnt give a **** about made im America, it matters what cost less and possible looks better.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by scott1981
I do agree competition is good. Lets face it though Toyota has made huge strides recently and are now the most profitable automaker and 2nd largest in terms of units sold. The American auto manufacturers have done what people requested, quality is far better than it has ever been and warranties have been increased significantly. After Ford making all the right moves I hate to see Toyota sit back and sell cars on a name it developed for itself 20 years ago. Im aggrivated with the American consumer for buying into the percieved better reliabilty of toyota products and not researching as they should. The unions Ford has to deal with also put it at a huge disadvantage. It just seems like made im America holds no value for the American consumer, to me thats a sad sad day. I remeber walking with my grandpa to the tractor supply store and asking the sales people where things were manufacturered so he made sure he was supporting American labor. It seems this current generation doesnt give a **** about made im America, it matters what cost less and possible looks better.

+1 it's getting hard to buy made in usa these days--took me a good while to find a tire air pressure guage, even craftsman were made in china

Old 09-27-2007, 08:10 PM
Suspended
+1 it's getting hard to buy made in usa these days--took me a good while to find a tire air pressure guage, even craftsman were made in china
Yeah thats a shame. I have no problem with the same product from every country in the world on the shelf or in the dealers lot. As long as the american worker is represented and I have that option i will be happy. Nothing wrong with competition, I have problems with domination

Old 09-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Its hard to compete with a country that only pays its workers a buck a day for wages. We have unions that demand top pay here and benefits. None of that exists oversea's. Costs are low and profits are up.

Ask Mattel how well outsourcing is working for them.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Ford#1
Even though those things are made in China they are still American companies. 85% of the things manufactured in China are American companies. The important part is that the main Corporate jobs are still here. Nobody in China is getting rich other than the government.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ford#1
Even though those things are made in China they are still American companies. 85% of the things manufactured in China are American companies. The important part is that the main Corporate jobs are still here. Nobody in China is getting rich other than the government.
Dude, seriously, why are you here? What are you trying to accomplish? I have read through this thread and you are all over the map with your circular logic of tardsville. It makes no sense and it's irrelevant.

What you have done is create a identity about yourself you will never recovery from here.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Ford#1
"Corporate" jobs do not generate wealth. This country's strength has always been in manufacturing and production. We were a super power because of our manufacturing, not because of the pencil pushers running the companies. I believe both types of jobs are necessary but lately it seems this country has determined it can be strong by shipping blue collar work overseas as it isn't all that important. Nonsense.

In short I think the your bolded comment is 100% wrong.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by vader716
"Corporate" jobs do not generate wealth. This country's strength has always been in manufacturing and production. We were a super power because of our manufacturing, not because of the pencil pushers ruining the companies. I believe both types of jobs are necessary but lately it seems this country has determined it can be strong by shipping blue collar work overseas as it isn't all that important. Nonsense.

In short I think the your bolded comment is 100% wrong.
I fixed it for you...

Old 09-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Still like my version better but I see your point.

Quick Reply: Toyota Tundra