Any Chihuahua owners? Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any Chihuahua owners? Need advice.

I have always loved this breed, but I was wanting any advice ya'll could offer about owning these small dogs. I have a 5yr old, and an 11yr old.(both girls) Anything specific that I should know. What are the best type. Anyway to avoid getting a 'yappy' one? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, I have never paid for a dog, nor have I owned a full-blooded dog before. I'm not sure why me or my family is drawn to Chihuahuas, but we are all on the same page here. We all want a Chihuahua. Thanks guys!(and girls)[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-25-2007, 01:22 AM
I ended up with a chihuahua/rat-dog from an ex-girlfriend of mine about 5 years ago. I have to admit, he's pretty cool. He's not an ankle biter or overly aggressive but he does like to bark when someone knocks on the door. Just don't coddle the dog too much and he/she will make a good pet for you and your family. Whatever you do, don't let the dog take possession of the couch, bed, or anything else other than its own bed to prevent problems down the road. Good luck!

Old 01-25-2007, 04:25 AM
Thanx for the reply. I'm not sure if or when we might get one, but I really want to be prepared when we do.Thanks again.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:05 AM
I can't attest for all chihuahua'a, but I can for ours. He will be 12 yo on 4/4/07 and he is mean as h3ll. He instantly bonded with my wife and if she is in the house, he is in her lap and no one can get near them. He is showing his age now and has difficulty getting on the furniture, so he sits there and whines like crap until he gets his way. In the beginning my wife refused to lock him away at night choosing to let him sleep with us. He would always sneak out in the night and go pee somewhere, no matter how many times you let him out. I finally got my way and put him in the garage with our lab at night. Now he pee's on everything in there. I ended up completely gutting my house of carpet and furniture and replacing it due to him. Be prepared to take him out about once an hour. We keep him in a doggie jail during the day while away. They bark at everything that moves.
He is AKC registered full blooded 'applehead' longhair that weighs between 4 and 5 pounds. I have his pedigree back to early 80's, he came from a line of show winners. What does that mean, ABSOLUTELY nothing!
My wife actually told me a couple of weeks ago that when he's gone, she doesn't want another one. He is just to needy and mean. He even attacks her if he is having a bad day due to arthritus. Of course getting his butt handed to him on a platter by my daughters cat doesn't help anything either...
His name is Ranger. I always had a habit of naming my animals after what I was driving at the time.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:13 AM
Also, as I forgot to mention, he has no idea about 'his' yard. If you let him out and don't put him on his lease, he will wonder away in a split second. The kids have accidently let him out before and when we start missing him he can be anywhere. He has crossed the neighborhood street, went to another hood behind us, and crossed a 2 lane highway. It is actually amazing that he never got hit. We obviously don't do it on purpose, he can just get away before you realize it! He cannot be contained by chain link fence either. He can fit between post and gates. We have a permanent lease attached to the deck to put him on even though he is inside the fence.
Good Luck!

Old 01-25-2007, 09:13 AM
Talking

Thanks for the honest response. I work swing shifts and I'm not sure if I can deal with a dog that is "needy." I have to sleep during the day half the month, so I guess I might just stick with my yard gnome! He's got a red hat and lil' boots, and he doesn't say ONE DAMN WORD. Thanks again, man.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:30 AM
We have one and have had her since 1998. Shes old and slower but shes still the same little ball of fire. They are great dogs but they dont know their own size. The one we have is very protective and minds pretty good. She is the oldest of 3 dogs that my sister has and runs the house.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:33 AM
I really want one, but I'm just not sure I have the patience to deal with it. It would have to be one of the rare few that are extra good. You know, quiet, polite, quiet, polite. My luck is just not that good.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Look them up on the internet and do some reading about them. That is what I did for several breeds before I settled on a Rat Terrier. I knew a lot about her before getting her and it helped. Also, if you are not sure you want one, do not get one, whatever the breed, you need to be committed or it can be a bad mistake.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
From what I know about the breed, they have a tendency to "pitch a fit" until you take them to Taco Bell.....

Old 01-25-2007, 11:15 AM
I bought a book specifically about chihuahuas. I know about them, their needs, tendencies, etc. I just wanted opinions/advice from people who own them. You can only read so much. I want the human element. I do not think I am going to get one, though. It would be unfair to the dog, and to my family. Maybe one day, though. Thanks everyone for your posts. Ya'll have been very helpful.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
They are only good when served wrapped up in a taco extra hot. No really they are the meanest nastiest most worthless animals on the planet. My sister has one and its not worth a plug nickel.. Don't do it get a nice mix at the pound they are the best dogs around.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Unless you want to look like a total P whipped little wuss, don't get a Taco Bell dog. You will look like a retard walking the little rat.

KC-10 FE out...

Old 01-25-2007, 08:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a chihuahua, rat terrier, and a mini dachshund. Cocoa the chihuahua was the first one of the 3. He is a smaller chihuahua. He is not an agressive dog at all, but he doesn't like men or visitors. He sees me and goes and hides, but he loves women and kids, lets them do anything with him. When visitors come over he goes under the couch (funny to hear a barking couch)and barks until he is comfortable with the visitors being around. My best friend has cocoa's brother from the same litter. He lives next door. His chihuahua is big and stocky (for a chi) and is very agressive, but not a biter. Same litter, as different as night and day in appearance as well as demeaner. We love the chihuahuas, but when he and the rat terrier both die we'll be sticking with the mini dachshund breed. That dog is the best dog I've ever had, next to a german shepherd. We have a smaller yard, so a small breed dog works well for us. Hope the chihuahua input helps.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:17 PM

She was a mix breed. Chihuahua and believed to be fox terrier. Best dog we ever had. Very playful. Always had to be in the middle of what i was playing with when i was a kid. Absolutely brilliant dog. We could teach her to do about anything. She probably could have been a movie dog. To top it off she was a stray, walked into the yard and never left. The vet said she was about a year old, house broken, and knew all the basic tricks. My parents put fliers up, put ads in the paper, and even an announcement on the local AM radio station. Nobody ever claimed her. She was 18 years old when she died. We got very lucky with her. She wasn't a yapper, very friendly, very keen to peoples emotions.

I wouldn't get a pure breed one, they are known to be yappers and tend to be mean.

Quick Reply: Any Chihuahua owners? Need advice.