Any Engineers out there?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Engineers out there?

Looking for some advise in the engineering field. I am looking at chemical/ process engineering, manufacturing engineering, and Plastic process engineering. Just curious of what your job consists of ; what type of skills (computer, math, science)? And amount of money you make if your willing to disclose it. I can't decide what field I want to go into; I work in plastics currently doing inventory, scheduling, supervising, shipping & recieving, some die setting, and machine troubleshooting. THANKS!!

Old 12-13-2006, 08:42 PM
I am not a chem or material engineer but graduated with BSME in 99. I worked for about 6 months as manufacturing engineer. I lived in SE Michigan right out of school and although the job opportunities and technology was better in the NE , I returned to Florida (where I attended college) and have never looked back. I hated the gray of winters. I worked for large companies for first 4 years and now work 10 times as hard and have 100 times more fun at small firm (11 people). I would suggest you not go to small place right out of school, most truly marketable skills you will learn after school. Big places will get you that, small companies don't have budget to train you, you need to make them $$. Also Internships are great way to experience job functions and industry and gain very valuable experience. The money is OK right out of school ~50k I think now, but the wage increases is rather flat compared to some fields. I don't know any happy engineers that entered the job chasing $, there is easier ,better ways to earn more $. The problem solving is what attracts/keeps most us them. real world problem solving like what you sound like you already have is a plus if you decide to go that way, there are some super book smart, not to real world smart around and that allows a spot for guys like me. (I am not what I would consider "book smart", but I am very mechanically inclined and have decent problem solving skills.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:37 PM
I cant give you any input on the questions that you asked, but like mneal said, dont go into something that you dont enjoy just for the money. You want be happy.

Oh, I also graduated with a BSME in 2003.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:50 AM
I'm am engineer in the oil industry.

I have qualifications in Electronics but need to know computer science, Unix programming, maths, mechanical concepts, some geology, hydraulics and a bit of chemistry.

Fairly well paid and lots of travel if you line that.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:53 AM
I graduated with a BS in Computer Engineering. 50k seems to be a norm depending what area of the country you live in. It wasn't the easiest degree to get but worth it in the end.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:32 AM
I have a degree in Civil Engineering, so I'm not much help with your field. You have to love what you do. A few extra thousand a year is not worth dreading you job for the rest of your life.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by b_j__h
I have a degree in Civil Engineering, so I'm not much help with your field. You have to love what you do. A few extra thousand a year is not worth dreading you job for the rest of your life.
Well I plan on doing chemical, then branching out to do industrail, manufacturing or processing engineering. I am looking to do something with plastics, or possibly the oil industry. From what I have been looking at it seems as though with a chemical engineering degree you can do a lot of different types of engineering jobs. Engineering seems pretty universal as far as what I am looking at (industrail, manufacturing, and process engineering).

Old 12-14-2006, 12:23 PM
as like b_j_h.......I too am a Civil Engineer.....only insight I can offer is that it does not matter which engineering path you take.......they all offer the same thing....which is the skillset to solve problems and to rationalize your thoughts systematically.............the rest is just details pertaining to the profession you choose....

.....I will say that it is one of the most rewarding professions you could choose.....but rarely will you find $$......engineers hardly live the "high life" (unless is involved)......for one, it is not in their personality.....engineers tend to be frugle creatures...........so don't create expectations that most likley will not be met........cause money is not what life is about........looking yourself in the mirror each day and knowing that you are helping to make this harsh world more bearable is worth more.......

........all I can say is good luck with walking this path.....it will be a hard long road.....but the destination will be worth the view.............

Old 12-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Third year EE major and it is a lot of work, but gonna be worth it someday!

Adrianspeeder

Old 12-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Jobs around here seem to be paying anywhere from 45k-90k a year. Which isnt a ton of money. I like the problem solving, and I am mechanically inclined so I think it would be a career that I would enjoy.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by wstahlm80
as like b_j_h.......I too am a Civil Engineer.....only insight I can offer is that it does not matter which engineering path you take.......they all offer the same thing....which is the skillset to solve problems and to rationalize your thoughts systematically.............the rest is just details pertaining to the profession you choose....

.....I will say that it is one of the most rewarding professions you could choose.....but rarely will you find $$......engineers hardly live the "high life" (unless is involved)......for one, it is not in their personality.....engineers tend to be frugle creatures...........so don't create expectations that most likley will not be met........cause money is not what life is about........looking yourself in the mirror each day and knowing that you are helping to make this harsh world more bearable is worth more.......

........all I can say is good luck with walking this path.....it will be a hard long road.....but the destination will be worth the view.............
Which is exactly why he ^ is a scrooge and hating Christmas. He systematically thought through the Santa Claus thing and realized it wasn't possible. Way to ruin it for everyone else! :santa:

(above said purely in humor)

Duke

Old 12-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
(above said purely in humor)

Duke

Quick Reply: Any Engineers out there?