My First Rant!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know your pain Jimbo.

It's that time of the year when all the counties in this area start to "fix" roads. Basically, they are just using up budget money so they can gat their "new budget" in from the state.

I have 3 chips on my truck (touched up) from damn needless road repairs. Our road in front of our house just when through the same thing. It didnt need it from what I could tell. Lucky for us, they ran a street sweeper about a week after the pea gravel was laid. So, no more loose gravel.

Old 09-02-2006, 02:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip seal sux true enough but try living 2 1/2 miles down a gravel road It's not so bad in the summer because they use dust control but in the fall-winter-spring when its wet. . .my truck is dirty at least 7 months out of the year

Old 09-02-2006, 02:59 AM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is dust control? I've lived on a gravel road for 30 years and never heard of it.

I thought dust control was the hedge barrier we planted along the road to help reduce the dust in the house.

Old 09-02-2006, 03:17 AM
Originally Posted by PSS-Mag
What is dust control? I've lived on a gravel road for 30 years and never heard of it.

I thought dust control was the hedge barrier we planted along the road to help reduce the dust in the house.
They spread Calcium Chloride on the gravel roads around here to help keep the dust down. I'm not sure how it works but when they first put it down it makes the road kinda slimy. I think it draws the moisture to the surface of the roadbed which in turn inhibits dust. It doesn't always last all summer. Our road is a little dusty in the spots that are in the sun all day.

Old 09-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wild-mtn-rose
They spread Calcium Chloride on the gravel roads around here to help keep the dust down. I'm not sure how it works but when they first put it down it makes the road kinda slimy. I think it draws the moisture to the surface of the roadbed which in turn inhibits dust. It doesn't always last all summer. Our road is a little dusty in the spots that are in the sun all day.
I can remember back when I was a young kid they used to spray used motor oil on the gravel roads in my area -- talk about an environmental hazard!

Old 09-03-2006, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by ddellwo
I can remember back when I was a young kid they used to spray used motor oil on the gravel roads in my area -- talk about an environmental hazard!
Yea, my folks used to have the road in front of their house oiled every summer. You can still get dust oil but you have to pay for it, the county spreads the Calcium Chloride for free.

Quick Reply: My First Rant!