Reverse Camera problem..HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse Camera problem..HELP!!!!!

Can anyone help me with a problem I'm having?? I hooked up my reverse camera and its working fine except when I step on the brakes the screen goes blank for a second and then comes back on. If I hit the brakes again right away, it doesnt do it. But if I let it sit for a few seconds and hit the brakes again, it does the same thing. Once in reverse the camera works fine. But again, If I hit the brakes, the screen goes black for a second and then turns back on....the sound never goes off. So its not shutting the entire unit down, just the screen.

I have the Alpine IVA-W200
The power wire from the camera is tapped into the Dark Green/Yellow wire in the pass. side door sill. ( the Black/Pink wire is not hot when in reverse on my truck )I then have the head unit wire run to the same exact connection as the camera power wire. The head unit needs the same power to automatically change the screen. I am pulling the camera ground from the 4 pin trailer connector on the rear bumper.

Anyone have any ideas?

Oh..one other thing...when I first hooked it up, I didnt have the power wire run to the head unit, so I had to select rear camera on the unit ( Instead of it switching on its own ) when I did it that way, it worked fine and never cut out on me.

BREW

Last edited by BREWDUDE; 05-23-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look to the bottom/front of each front window on each side of the truck. There are reflective reverse back up camera(s) installed from the factory there. They added a third in the middle of the windshield towards the top. These are not known to flicker, only issue is the one on the passenger side door, sometimes has been known to have issues on some vehicles with objects being closer than they appear.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:23 PM
WOW...this place is dead tonight..come on guys I need help here.

Thanks Matt...the peanut gallery has spoken..

So I moved the ground and I still have the same problem. I called Alpine Tech support and they were not very helpfull ( as usual ) but he did say it deff. seems to be on the power side. He said it sounds like I may be getting feedback on the reverse power wire from the brake lights or the bulbs...

Anyone have any ideas....I really want to get this thing working.

BREW

Old 05-23-2006, 08:34 PM
sounds like when the brake lights come on they draw away the current from the camera and then it goes blank. try getting the power from another source.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by lees99f150
sounds like when the brake lights come on they draw away the current from the camera and then it goes blank. try getting the power from another source.

Thats what I'm thinking, but now I need to find another wire thats hot when the truck is put into reverse.

BREW

Old 05-23-2006, 09:24 PM
what about the reverse wire on the trailer plug. either at the plug end or the relay end at the fuse box.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:13 AM
OK..its wednesday morning....everyone should be at work all excited about this weekend. So come on ..help me out here, I'm dyin'

BREW

Old 05-24-2006, 08:52 AM
I think the answer sounds reasonable. Try the trailer hitch power.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:03 PM
OK..this is really pizzen me off now. As I thought ( but didnt say anything until I checked ) There is no "hot in reverse" wire in the trailer harness. It has a ground, marker/tail lights, left signal and right signal and thats it.....I was windering if that changed somewhere along the line and I didnt know about it

Anyway, a buddy at a dealership told me I could use the light blue with pink stripe wire. Well I cnat find one in my harness. He also said it should be Fuse #17. How the hell do I know what color wire is hooked to that fuse?

Where can I get a wiring diagram so I can look at it myself? Does anyone know what other wire I can use for "hot in reverse"?

Anyone?? this is killing me and Im about to bag the whole thing and throw the friggen camera in the ocean...

BREW

Old 05-24-2006, 08:19 PM
if you have the 4 flat, then no it doesn't have the reverse. if you have the 7 pin plug, then it does. if its like the 97-03 then you need to install the fuse and relays. the truck will be wired for the 7 pin even if you don't have it.

you can wire it using a hot wire from a fused source and a relay triggered by the backup lights. this is prolly the best way. you just need to run more wiring.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
First thing's first, never, ever, ever pay attention to wire color, one day, you'll get burnt doing that. Circuit numbers never change. Pin numbers never change. Connector numbers never change. Wire colors can change depending on what vendor Ford buys their wiring from, which can change daily. Of course Uncle Henry ain't nice enough to update their wiring diagrams accordingly.

Okay, looking at the wiring diagram, fuse 17 in the CJB runs the fog light relay, so I dunno how you're gonna get 12V in reverse from that.

Lee's got the right idea, install the trailer tow relay and tap your power from the 7 pin connector. This wire should be black with a pink tracer (fortunately, trailer wiring colors usually don't change).

Old 05-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
First thing's first, never, ever, ever pay attention to wire color, one day, you'll get burnt doing that. Circuit numbers never change. Pin numbers never change. Connector numbers never change. Wire colors can change depending on what vendor Ford buys their wiring from, which can change daily. Of course Uncle Henry ain't nice enough to update their wiring diagrams accordingly.

Okay, looking at the wiring diagram, fuse 17 in the CJB runs the fog light relay, so I dunno how you're gonna get 12V in reverse from that.

Lee's got the right idea, install the trailer tow relay and tap your power from the 7 pin connector. This wire should be black with a pink tracer (fortunately, trailer wiring colors usually don't change).

Ok, call me stupid, but can you explain it a little more? I do not have the trailer tow package, so all I have right now is the 4 pin flat connector on the rear bumper. I also tried to tap into that black/pink wire last night and I got absolutely nothing out of it. I had to use the dark green / white ( I think) wire and got my power off that when in reverse. Do I have to install relays and stuff...is there no other place to get this power from??

BREW

Old 05-24-2006, 09:34 PM

If you don't have the trailer tow package, you don't have the round 7 pin connector so you're SOL for that plan.

Lemme look over the wiring diagram a little more and see where else you can go for power.

Edit - Try fuse 14 in the central junction box, it should be a 10A fuse that runs straight to the MLP.

Last edited by Quintin; 05-24-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
If you don't have the trailer tow package, you don't have the round 7 pin connector so you're SOL for that plan.

Lemme look over the wiring diagram a little more and see where else you can go for power.

Edit - Try fuse 14 in the central junction box, it should be a 10A fuse that runs straight to the MLP.

Cool, thanks Quintin. One more question, if F14 gives me power when in reverse, what would be the best way to tap into it? Will I have to pull the whole fuse box out to see what wire is connected to it? I dont want to start poking holes in all my wires trying to find the right one, nor do I want to cut them either unless I know I have the right one..Sorry to be a PIA, but I just want to get this done....Boat wiring is SOOOO much easier.

BREW

Old 05-24-2006, 09:59 PM

Just to see if it works, I'd strip the wire back, pull the fuse and jam the wire between the fuse and the terminal in the box. If it does work, I've seen some pretty decent looking fuse taps that are probably available at your friendly neighborhood AdvancepepautoboysO'ReillysZone that'd prevent you from having to hack your harness up any more than necessary.

Quick Reply: Reverse Camera problem..HELP!!!!!