Earth is now melting at both ends... flooding will be likely..

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok but if you stack the ice in a glass so that it is several feet above the rim of the glass, then fill the remainder of the space in the glass with water til it is level with the brim. Then would it not over flow as teh ice melted?

True some of the ice is already diplacing water in the ocean, but several million tons are very well exposed above the current water line and not displacing any water. When the exposed solid areas become liquid again, where do you think it is going to go?

Old 03-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by GIJoeCam
Incorrect, sir.

As I stated at the end of page 6, the ARCTIC ice cap is already floating and would not cause an increase in the level. The Antarctic ice cap and the Greenland Ice Shelf are on land and WOULD raise the levels if they melted, but IMHO, 80-feet is a rather high estimate.

As I've said before and say again, 2 degrees in the last 50 years in the life cycle of a planet that's 5 billion years old isn't exactly a trend.

-Joe

Oh, ok.

Then we are all safe. There will be no rise in sea levels.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PSS-Mag
...True some of the ice is already diplacing water in the ocean, but several million tons are very well exposed above the current water line and not displacing any water. When the exposed solid areas become liquid again, where do you think it is going to go?
Everybody is half right.
Water expands when freezing by about 9%.
Ice floats 7/8 below the surface which is about 8.75%
So, as far as the Artic is concerned it's a wash, no significant gain or loss.

Ice sliding off of Greenland or Antartica into the drink is all gain.
But 9% less of the gain when it melts.

Old 03-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PSS-Mag
Ok but if you stack the ice in a glass so that it is several feet above the rim of the glass, then fill the remainder of the space in the glass with water til it is level with the brim. Then would it not over flow as teh ice melted?

True some of the ice is already diplacing water in the ocean, but several million tons are very well exposed above the current water line and not displacing any water. When the exposed solid areas become liquid again, where do you think it is going to go?
Yes, you are correct. The glass would overflow. But, we do not have a glass that's full of water.

In a floating ice cube, the MASS of water above and below the water line is irrelevant as the total MASS of water in the ice cube is the same MASS of water it displaces. Therefore, when it melts, it will melt into the same space of water it displaced. That's one of the incredible properties of water: It is the only natural material on the planet that gets LESS dense when it goes from a liquid to a solid. If ice was more dense than water, ice cubes and icebergs were more dense than the water they are made from, lakes would freeze from the bottom-up if they froze at all.

I can absolutely guarantee that the arctic ice cap melting will have ZERO affect on the water levels worldwide. There would be no more or less water in the oceans.

Again, it's the ice that's NOT already displacing water that would cause the levels to rise.

Looks like I might get my lake-front property after all!!

-Joe

-Joe

Old 03-06-2006, 03:48 PM
I dunno.

With the ice caps melting, smoking in bars is a bad thing, and the lack of common curtesy these days, I dont know what to think or do anymore. I guess I will go visit dzervit in Vegas. I'll see if I can find the dumpster he is in and join him. Sounds like the smart thing to do these days....how much is a hooker now?

Old 03-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raoul
Everybody is half right.
Water expands when freezing by about 9%.
Ice floats 7/8 below the surface which is about 8.75%
So, as far as the Artic is concerned it's a wash, no significant gain or loss.

Ice sliding off of Greenland or Antartica into the drink is all gain.
But 9% less of the gain when it melts.

I don't know whether to believe you or not. I'm leaning toward you joking.

ALso, I stated that whole water takes up less space than ice as a joke, and you guys are killing me over here.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Stick a bottle of water in your freezer and feel it tomorrow.

Nine percent.
(I suggest a plastic water bottle because a glass bottle would burst)

Last edited by Raoul; 03-06-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by l-menace
I don't know whether to believe you or not. I'm leaning toward you joking.

ALso, I stated that whole water takes up less space than ice as a joke, and you guys are killing me over here.
No joke, bro.... That's the way it works. That's how Frost Heaves form in roadways.... water gets under the road surface, the freezes, and because water expands when it freezes (same mass plus greater volume equals less density) the road surface heaves upwards.

That's why your foundations and footings have to be below the frost line. If they're high enough that water gets underneath it and freezes, it'll pop the concrete piling out of the ground like a cork from a champaigne bottle.

It's the reason ice floats in water.

-Joe

Old 03-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by GIJoeCam
No joke, bro.... That's the way it works. That's how Frost Heaves form in roadways.... water gets under the road surface, the freezes, and because water expands when it freezes (same mass plus greater volume equals less density) the road surface heaves upwards.

That's why your foundations and footings have to be below the frost line. If they're high enough that water gets underneath it and freezes, it'll pop the concrete piling out of the ground like a cork from a champaigne bottle.

It's the reason ice floats in water.

-Joe

Yeah I know, but it's Raoul

Old 03-06-2006, 07:28 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
I mix in 1/8th fact so Steve can't ban me.

Right when he thinks he has me, he screams:

"Damn It!. A fact! '

Old 03-06-2006, 07:59 PM

"The sky is falling. The water's rising.
Gosh, you guys are picky! "

Old 03-06-2006, 08:08 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Living at 1265 feet smack dab in the middle of the US, 1/2 way between all three shore lines, then I feel secure that if all the moisture in the atmosphere liquifidied, and all the ice melted... Then I would probably still be on land. Even if I'm not, no big deal I already have a boat and a jet ski.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:17 AM
One word...Waterworld!!!

Old 03-07-2006, 11:23 AM
That map is a little off. I'm 40 ft above sea level in Florida and it asserts my house will be under water with a 20ft rise in water level.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by 1depd
That map is a little off. I'm 40 ft above sea level in Florida and it asserts my house will be under water with a 20ft rise in water level.

It's more dramatic that way.

Quick Reply: Earth is now melting at both ends... flooding will be likely..