Nascar '07

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 08:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I think Nascar might just be trying to corner the ricer market. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 02-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SVT Contour
By the way, NASCAR stands for National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing.
I stand corrected, forgot the "Auto" part there. However it still means nothing as for the past 20 years or so there are no "stock" cars in NASCAR as there were when it first started.

NASCAR should change their name to correctly reflect what it is, which is National Association of Auto Racing or (NAAR).

And yes, NASCAR has raced in Japan as well as Mexico. They are moving up people and they will not miss the very small minority of people who for what ever reason believe the cars on the track actually represent anything close to what the manufactures actually make...

They are not going ricer because I have yet to see any fart pipes and spinners...

However, they have had wings on the back (spoliers) and really pretty colors for a long time so I guess NASCAR was rice before ricers invented rice...

Last edited by 01 XLT Sport; 02-28-2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:14 PM
I have no problem with them being a Japanese manufacturer. I have a HUGE problem with the fact that they have a history of coming into a series, driving costs way up, then leaving it as the series crashes. NASCAR has historically been a (relatively) cheap racing series. If they don't keep Toyota in check, the little guys that make up at least half the field won't be able to compete.

Although, this does seem kinda unlikely unless they manage to get some better talent than Michael Waltrip behind the wheel.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by hwm3
I have no problem with them being a Japanese manufacturer. I have a HUGE problem with the fact that they have a history of coming into a series, driving costs way up, then leaving it as the series crashes. NASCAR has historically been a (relatively) cheap racing series. If they don't keep Toyota in check, the little guys that make up at least half the field won't be able to compete.

Although, this does seem kinda unlikely unless they manage to get some better talent than Michael Waltrip behind the wheel.
Not sure about the better talent part, but I see Robby Gordon (currently chevy w/ DEI motors) becoming part of Team Red Bull. Just a hunch. And Ganassi too.

Here's a quote for you 'yota haters: "Toyota reiterated it will not have factory-based teams, like Ray Evernham has with the UAW Dodge Dealers."

Old 02-28-2006, 10:25 PM
If they truly don't have factory backed teams, they will struggle to compete. Some of the bigger teams that have been around a while are having a hard time competing, so if Toyota doesn't factory back the Cup and Busch series, the teams won't have a chance.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Thumbs down

thats all I got to say about that

Old 03-01-2006, 01:03 AM
By the time they modify and paint the cars you can't tell one from another. They all look the same to me anymore.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Nascar

I use to be an avid NASCAR fan, now I watch a little here and there, next year, NONE at all. I basically quit watching baseball when free agency crept in and you didn't know the names of the players from year to year. It is that way in NASCAR now. Who would of ever thought Bill Elliot would drive a Dodge, Rusty Wallace, etc. Nascar use to be about LOYALTY. Manufacturer loyalty, sponsor loyalty, driver loyalty. There is NONE of that anymore. Now that Toyota is coming in I will gladly quit watching all together.
I was watching an old show on Richard Petty recently and all his fans talked about how they buy anything Richard sponsors. That is how NASCAR built a loyal fan base. Fans were almost loyal to a fault and the sponsors loved it. Not anymore.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by hwm3
If they truly don't have factory backed teams, they will struggle to compete. Some of the bigger teams that have been around a while are having a hard time competing, so if Toyota doesn't factory back the Cup and Busch series, the teams won't have a chance.
The teams will have a better chance than the current independents do right now, only because Toyota will have a hand in getting the sponsors together on all their cars. The sponsorship money or lack of is the reason the smaller teams have no chance at winning, they can't afford testing (on track), wind tunnel tests, engineers that work on just the body (aero) or the tires.

The Toyota teams will have the same help in testing and engineering just like Ford and Chevy help out Roush, Yates, RCR, Hendricks. The factory backed teams they are speaking of is when Toyota *supplies* the motors, bodies, frames, tranny, specific car setups and everything else. The cup and busch cars will be like every other car in their series but with the Toyota badges and sponsorship help. Built at the team shops not by the manufacturer and then handed out.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Budha05STX
The teams will have a better chance than the current independents do right now, only because Toyota will have a hand in getting the sponsors together on all their cars. The sponsorship money or lack of is the reason the smaller teams have no chance at winning, they can't afford testing (on track), wind tunnel tests, engineers that work on just the body (aero) or the tires.

The Toyota teams will have the same help in testing and engineering just like Ford and Chevy help out Roush, Yates, RCR, Hendricks. The factory backed teams they are speaking of is when Toyota *supplies* the motors, bodies, frames, tranny, specific car setups and everything else. The cup and busch cars will be like every other car in their series but with the Toyota badges and sponsorship help. Built at the team shops not by the manufacturer and then handed out.
If they truly operate like every other team, it will be a few years before they are competitive. Look at the Dodge teams.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by screwbuilder
I use to be an avid NASCAR fan, now I watch a little here and there, next year, NONE at all. I basically quit watching baseball when free agency crept in and you didn't know the names of the players from year to year. It is that way in NASCAR now. Who would of ever thought Bill Elliot would drive a Dodge, Rusty Wallace, etc. Nascar use to be about LOYALTY. Manufacturer loyalty, sponsor loyalty, driver loyalty. There is NONE of that anymore. Now that Toyota is coming in I will gladly quit watching all together.
I was watching an old show on Richard Petty recently and all his fans talked about how they buy anything Richard sponsors. That is how NASCAR built a loyal fan base. Fans were almost loyal to a fault and the sponsors loved it. Not anymore.
His sponsor was STP. I used it. Don't know why. If you need it that means you have internal engine problems.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:52 AM
They are going to run cars that people can identify with. Toyota sells a boat load of cars in this country. At the rate we're going NASCAR wont have any domestic cars. People in this country just love buying forien products. Maybe US companies could compete if it didn't cost so much to do buisness in this country.

Our entitlemnet society is hurting this country, and hurting things like NASCAR.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:47 AM
As much as I hate to see Toyota involved; if all the cars are going to this new non-branded body in 07-09' I guess it dont matter much.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Stp

Yes, I think most everyone knows RP main sponsor was STP, but he did a lot of TV commercials and hocked many other products. It use to be that fans of a certain driver would buy anything they promoted. This special on TV was all about his fans who said they love Richard Petty and buy everything he is part of. Imagine if after 20 years as STP's products, some new company comes along and pulls RP away with huge amounts of cash. That is what is happening in NASCAR today. Drivers switch cars left and right for more money. Growing up a Bill Elliot and a Ford fan I never thought I would see the day that he would get behind the wheel and drive a Dodge. For me, that ruined NASCAR. No loyalty just the same way that athletes in other sports are. NASCAR was always different that way, but not any longer. I see Toyota coming in as NASCAR not being loyal to the true fans and selling out for more when they make millions as it is now.
I guess I just liked the whole story of how NASCAR started with guys running moonshine deciding to race their cars to see who was fastest. I think we all know where the Japanese cars of that time were. Oh wait, I don't think there were many Japanese cars in the US in the 50's, if any.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
time for the american cars to gang up on the foreigners

...zap!

Quick Reply: Nascar '07