Ebay/Paypal Truck Purchase Security

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ebay/Paypal Truck Purchase Security

I have a question regarding purchasing a truck via Paypal, so not exactly Ebay. I found a truck as you all know, and I now have the money and can't wait to receive it and start modding. First things first, purchasing the SOB. I am opting to use PayPal because it is a well known way of dealing with purchasing items, and more notably, vehicles. The truck lies in Indiana, I live in California. I also have to deal with shipping but thats another story.

So is using Paypal a good idea and how does he go about accepting the money transfer from me, through PayPal? If going through Ebay with PayPal is a better route, then I'll be more than happy to go that route, have him list the truck and allow me to use the Buy It Now feature. I want buyer protection, that is of the upmost importance to me, if there is no decent, secure way of getting the truck then I will just fly my happy a$$ to Indiana and drive it home (might be more expensive, my best shipping quote was for about $1097).

Please give me your input guys, I am asking here because I know most of you and trust your opinions. Someone here has to have done this before. Lookin forward to modding with all of you.

The truck is a Black exterior Black interior 2004 F-150, 4x4 Lariat, 47k miles on it. I am purchasing it for $21k cash. I have been looking for about 4-5 months as most of you know, so help me get this beauty into my hands. I will be lifting and modding in no time (I hope).

By the way, I've spoke to him on the phone and he sounds legit, I've even spoke to his wife and heard his daughter in the background, so my bets on legitimacy here.

Last edited by Josiah; 10-14-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying one from far away is a gut check. I never noticed if paypal goes up that high.

I doubt it is a true scam, but a problem truck owner would still have a wife and daughter...

On having it car hauler transported, yeah I have a buddy that did that for a few years, and after riding with him a couple times...

If it was me I would fly the redeye through one of the online discount outfits, and drive er home.

By the time you got home you would know what you had, and these trucks do get good road mileage. Also, gas is cheaper almost everywhere but California, so it wouldn't cost as much as you might think.
Probably 400 tops for gas, two nights in a Motel 6, and some fastfood.
Plane tickets are usually pretty cheap, or in a pinch the ol grayhound.

Of course it takes time from work, so having it delivered may be the best.
Good luck with it.
Chris

Old 10-14-2005, 05:48 PM

What do you think of the mileage it puts on the truck, not sure if it's worth it. You are right, and I asked him if he has any bed shake, and he says he doesn't know what I was talking about. There has to be someone who has purchased a vehicle off of ebay on here, speak up please.

Old 10-14-2005, 07:00 PM
I agree with ChrisAdams, go out there and get it. I wouldn't be comfortable buying it without seeing and driving it first. As far as mileage, it already has 47K what's another 2?

Old 10-14-2005, 07:19 PM
I purchased mine off of ebay from a seller in OK. I took a flight up there looked at it, we agreed on what he needed to get taken care of to the truck and I drove it back. If you get it shipped and there is something you don't like what will happen? At least with going see it all you might be out of is a ticket back home.

Old 10-14-2005, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Thayer
I agree with ChrisAdams, go out there and get it. I wouldn't be comfortable buying it without seeing and driving it first. As far as mileage, it already has 47K what's another 2?
Yeah, I think you're right. It would be about $400 for gas, maybe another $200 for food (I'll sleep in the truck thank you very much). My biggest concern with that is I might wreck or get extremely lost. I am trying to think of a way to buy the navigation unit while I am up there and also have it installed or install it myself. Anyone know the difficulties of installing a double din unit (preferrably the AVN5495).

I am getting off track though, my main concern is my money. I don't want to lose $20K+. I asked for the VIN# and he sent me a half VIN#, here is what he sent: 1FPTW14554K. Supposedly I am 6 characters short. I re-mailed him letting him know. Why do I always get the fishy deals, huh! No such thing as a good deal anymore, always strings attached.

Old 10-14-2005, 07:22 PM
With PayPal your only covered to $1,000 no matter what. What are you afraid of? That you wont get the truck or that it wont be "as described"? With PayPal its not a as described garentee anyway...you only are covered if you get stiffed totaly or the item is comletely different that what you bought (I think they say grossly misrepresented). On top of that you have the fees...several hundred bucks on $21,000. Most auto sellers will not take Paypal for that reason. I have never bought a car on ebay but I did buy a $6K four wheeler on there, plus I have total positive feedback of over 1550..so I do know a little about it. What I did when I bought my four wheeler is carry a certified check for the amount of the winning bid with me...I inspected the four wheeler and seeing it was as described paid him. Had it not been I could have just backed out. Now if this truck was for sale by one of the big auto retailers on Ebay I would say send him the money via certified check and have it shipped...they are legit and have a lot riding on every transaction. But this guy sounds like an individual thats selling a used car... I am SURE he left some details out that might matter to you. If it was me I would go get it, but then again you can figure another $2K on time and expense going after it. Can you find one closer and maybe with a little less miles on it for $23K or so...plus you would be saving yourself all that time to go get it. The one guy said you would know all thats wrong with it by the time you get back...well maybe so but it would still be yours. I am sure he wont warrenty it. Also another thing to consider is what kind of trouble are you looking at bringing into the state...I am not sure what you have to go through but I am sure being its CA it will be a pain in the ***.

Old 10-14-2005, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by donniep3
I purchased mine off of ebay from a seller in OK. I took a flight up there looked at it, we agreed on what he needed to get taken care of to the truck and I drove it back. If you get it shipped and there is something you don't like what will happen? At least with going see it all you might be out of is a ticket back home.
I am already getting a good deal, I don't exactly have much room to complain. But I can already see one thing I'm going to do, buy those OEM leather seats, he's got creases everywhere. I'll post the pic in a bit.

Old 10-14-2005, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by RamSS/T
With PayPal your only covered to $1,000 no matter what. What are you afraid of? That you wont get the truck or that it wont be "as described"? With PayPal its not a as described garentee anyway...you only are covered if you get stiffed totaly or the item is comletely different that what you bought (I think they say grossly misrepresented). On top of that you have the fees...several hundred bucks on $21,000. Most auto sellers will not take Paypal for that reason. I have never bought a car on ebay but I did buy a $6K four wheeler on there, plus I have total positive feedback of over 1550..so I do know a little about it. What I did when I bought my four wheeler is carry a certified check for the amount of the winning bid with me...I inspected the four wheeler and seeing it was as described paid him. Had it not been I could have just backed out. Now if this truck was for sale by one of the big auto retailers on Ebay I would say send him the money via certified check and have it shipped...they are legit and have a lot riding on every transaction. But this guy sounds like an individual thats selling a used car... I am SURE he left some details out that might matter to you. If it was me I would go get it, but then again you can figure another $2K on time and expense going after it. Can you find one closer and maybe with a little less miles on it for $23K or so...plus you would be saving yourself all that time to go get it. The one guy said you would know all thats wrong with it by the time you get back...well maybe so but it would still be yours. I am sure he wont warrenty it. Also another thing to consider is what kind of trouble are you looking at bringing into the state...I am not sure what you have to go through but I am sure being its CA it will be a pain in the ***.
All these responses, sheesh.

First off, I have been looking for many months as you know, but it took so long because I am so particular on options. This truck also have the Moonroof and Power Sliding Rear window, I left that out, those were the options that were holding me back from some other deals. I probably should go down there and look at it, only about $750 tops to get there and back. I will keep looking for anything closer but I honestly had to go that far to get such a deal. I believe it would be about another $800 to get it registered here in CA (I called dmv months ago and asked specifically). You're probably right, I am sure he left a few things out but I'm being sure to go over everything so if there is something I'll catch him up in a lie when I get it. He is a nice guy, but that doesn't make it legit, I know.

As for the $1,000 coverage from ebay, that's not even coverage if you ask me, not for a vehicle of this price. I really thought there was a better solution, this is starting to look worse. I think going and getting that puppy is the only way now. I really can't wait much longer to get the truck so unless I find something closer soon, I might have to fly up there. It's going to be a lonely ride home, I'll probably never be the same lol.

Old 10-14-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
I am already getting a good deal, I don't exactly have much room to complain. But I can already see one thing I'm going to do, buy those OEM leather seats, he's got creases everywhere. I'll post the pic in a bit.
No matter what anyone has to say it is what you want and your money, just be careful purchasing a truck that for without all the information. I had a carfax done on mine and talked to the seller several times before agreeing to buy. When I landed in Ok the seller picked me up at the airport to take me to the truck. Before we did anything he wanted me to drive the truck to see if I liked it. There were a few things he agreed to take care of. He filled the truck up, got the paperwork taken care of, and paid for lunch. I then left for my 9hr drive home.

If your worried about getting lost get a good map and a hand held gps for the trip home. The handhelds are cheap and pretty good for road trips.

Old 10-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Josiah. I'm sure the guy sounds legit. That being said, I've been royally screwed by some of the nicest people. A red flag that comes to my mind, is why would a legitimate seller want to lose 462 dollars to PayPal? Their rates are 2.2 percent for that kind of money. I wish you the best, and hope this deal is all you hoped it would be.

Old 10-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
All these responses, sheesh.

First off, I have been looking for many months as you know, but it took so long because I am so particular on options. This truck also have the Moonroof and Power Sliding Rear window, I left that out, those were the options that were holding me back from some other deals. I probably should go down there and look at it, only about $750 tops to get there and back. I will keep looking for anything closer but I honestly had to go that far to get such a deal. I believe it would be about another $800 to get it registered here in CA (I called dmv months ago and asked specifically). You're probably right, I am sure he left a few things out but I'm being sure to go over everything so if there is something I'll catch him up in a lie when I get it. He is a nice guy, but that doesn't make it legit, I know.

As for the $1,000 coverage from ebay, that's not even coverage if you ask me, not for a vehicle of this price. I really thought there was a better solution, this is starting to look worse. I think going and getting that puppy is the only way now. I really can't wait much longer to get the truck so unless I find something closer soon, I might have to fly up there. It's going to be a lonely ride home, I'll probably never be the same lol.

You have to ask yourself it is such a good deal why cant he sell it local? Thats awful cheap for that truck, and figure in a local buyer probably wouldnt have to pay sales tax on it (thats the way it works in GA at least). I am sorry but its a little fishy. Did he claim to have bought it new? Ask for the complete VIN and run a Car Fax on it for sure.

Old 10-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Perhaps someone can look it up in OASIS to see if it has been in the shop for problematic issues..Oops maybe Qunitin can help, I think I was wrong

Last edited by erick_e; 10-15-2005 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by RamSS/T
Also another thing to consider is what kind of trouble are you looking at bringing into the state...I am not sure what you have to go through but I am sure being its CA it will be a pain in the ***.
Ram is right.

About 16 years ago when I last lived in Ca I had bought a car that was sold new in Nevada and the original had moved to Ca. I bought the car soon after they moved to Ca. What a PITA to get the thing registered in Ca. Plus I had to pay some ridiculous fee of about $350 (if I remember correctly). I dont know if all new vehicles have the same emissions equipment these days as Ca vehicles do, but if they dont, at least you've been warned.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:16 PM
If it sounds to good to be true.....stay away is usually good advice. I would NOT buy a truck without seeing and driving it first. I agree with a previous post questioning, "Why so cheap" and if it's such a good deal why can't they sell it locally. Did you get the VIN and run a Carfax?

Quick Reply: Ebay/Paypal Truck Purchase Security