Bad hotel stay, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad hotel stay, what would you do?

I had to travel out of town for a wedding this past weekend. I arrived at the hotel Friday evening. The hotel was under construction (remodel) which did not bother me. That is something that has to be done every so often.

On Saturday night, (early Sunday morning) 1:30am someone came banging on our door. I thought it was some kids or something, but my wife heard them yelling so she went to the door and they were telling people to evacuate the hotel. We got dressed, grabbed our 2 year old, and got outside to find 2 fire trucks in the parking lot. I had other relatives staying there also and we could not find them. I called them and the were still inside and had not been woken yet.

After a few minutes I saw a firefighter and asked what the problem was. He said "someone saw smoke from one of the upper floors." I asked why the alarm had not sounded and he said "the alarm had been disconnected due to the construction and the fire marshall was on his way to discuss what had happened with management."

What would you do in this situation? Had I not been checking out that morning I would have left that morning anyway. Had there been a real fire it could have been very bad for my family and myself. I sent the hotel chain a nice email and am awaiting their reply. I did not speak to the management at the time because I felt I would probably have really lost my cool with them.

As far as I am concerned I will never stay in that chain again. So free stays will not satisfy me. I am content in sending my letters to the corporate office, but wanted other opinions on what people may have done.

Marvin

Old 09-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marvin
I had to travel out of town for a wedding this past weekend. I arrived at the hotel Friday evening. The hotel was under construction (remodel) which did not bother me. That is something that has to be done every so often.

On Saturday night, (early Sunday morning) 1:30am someone came banging on our door. I thought it was some kids or something, but my wife heard them yelling so she went to the door and they were telling people to evacuate the hotel. We got dressed, grabbed our 2 year old, and got outside to find 2 fire trucks in the parking lot. I had other relatives staying there also and we could not find them. I called them and the were still inside and had not been woken yet.

After a few minutes I saw a firefighter and asked what the problem was. He said "someone saw smoke from one of the upper floors." I asked why the alarm had not sounded and he said "the alarm had been disconnected due to the construction and the fire marshall was on his way to discuss what had happened with management."

What would you do in this situation? Had I not been checking out that morning I would have left that morning anyway. Had there been a real fire it could have been very bad for my family and myself. I sent the hotel chain a nice email and am awaiting their reply. I did not speak to the management at the time because I felt I would probably have really lost my cool with them.

As far as I am concerned I will never stay in that chain again. So free stays will not satisfy me. I am content in sending my letters to the corporate office, but wanted other opinions on what people may have done.

Marvin
Your familys safety and everyone elses for that matter was jepordized. I think someones a$$ from the hotel should be on the line. I would send the main office a letter for sure.

Glad the situation was not worse.

Old 09-21-2005, 02:00 AM
I'm glad to hear that everyone was safe and I agree that you should be upset. Contacting the corporate offices will most likely result in a lot of patronizing replies, they probably will not readily admit guilt in any wrongdoing. The fact that the fire marshal is aware the smoke alarms were not functioning is probably going to result in some action against the hotel and/or the hotel chain. Maybe you can follow up on that angle and try to insure something is done. Aside from that there probably isn't a whole lot you can do. Large corporations get complaint letters on a regular basis and in my experience, if they respond, it is usually a letter of "thanks for bringing this to our attention, here are some coupons and sincerely yours...blah, blah, blah..." I could be wrong in this case, write your letters, it certainly can't hurt, maybe you'll get lucky

Old 09-21-2005, 09:01 AM
Glad to hear everyone is okay!

I'd like to know what hotel so I don't put my family in a place like that!

Old 09-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Yawn. You made it out fine and nothing happened. Why dwell on it? How do you intend to ensure every place you stay on from this point forward has functional alarms, emergency lighting, fire extinguishers, blah blah blah... seriously. Do you go over the evacuation plan and review the instructions on the hotel room door with the family? Your making a mountain out of a molehil. The letter to the company with your concerns is enough... let it go man!

Old 09-21-2005, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by wild-mtn-rose
I'm glad to hear that everyone was safe and I agree that you should be upset. Contacting the corporate offices will most likely result in a lot of patronizing replies, they probably will not readily admit guilt in any wrongdoing. The fact that the fire marshal is aware the smoke alarms were not functioning is probably going to result in some action against the hotel and/or the hotel chain. Maybe you can follow up on that angle and try to insure something is done. Aside from that there probably isn't a whole lot you can do. Large corporations get complaint letters on a regular basis and in my experience, if they respond, it is usually a letter of "thanks for bringing this to our attention, here are some coupons and sincerely yours...blah, blah, blah..." I could be wrong in this case, write your letters, it certainly can't hurt, maybe you'll get lucky
This is what I was thinking. THe best you could do would be to write to the corp offices telling them you are going to pursue the issue with the local fire dept and ensure the case isn't dropped. If charges can be filed you will see that they are. Then actually do it.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by dzervit
Yawn...the letter to the company with your concerns is enough... let it go man!
This coming from man who pitched a fit and destroyed a rental car over an extra $50 bucks that he was charged for his 30,000 mile checkup on the tan terror....hypocrite classic

Old 09-21-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by vader716
This coming from man who pitched a fit and destroyed a rental car over an extra $50 bucks that he was charged for his 30,000 mile checkup on the tan terror....hypocrite
How do you figure it's the same? Getting ripped off is another story.... And it was an extra $250...

EDIT: And I've let it go... destroying the rental car was enough for me, and I've moved on...

Old 09-21-2005, 09:14 AM
How do you figure it's the same?
I have absolutely no idea how it is the same...I was just saying...ahhh forget it...I'm going to get my coffee...

Old 09-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Me thinks I'll get a second cup as well...

Old 09-21-2005, 10:30 AM
I know you want to do something about it but the letter might be all you can do, short of a law suit.

One day I went to a well known resurant late at night (11 PM) to get a few drinks with my buddies. They served all my buddies first checking their ID, when they got to me and check my ID the bar tender said it wasnt a valid ID and that he couldnt serve me. It was a brand new, just issued Active Duty military ID. I even talked to the manager but she wouldnt take it. The said since it didn't have my height and weight listed on it wasn't valid. I dunno how many of you have seen a current military ID, but not only do they have your social security number, a second picture of the person acutally printed on the card they also have a security chip in them. Very had to duplicate.

I gave them my drivers license which I also had on me and pointed out that it said I was 5'11 and 140. Im now 6'2 and 175 (it was the same card I got when I turned 16) And the picture was from when I was 15. As I was leaving the resturant for the night there was a big sign that said 'the only ID we accept are State Issued Drivers License, Pass Ports and MILITARY IDS!!!

I got mad, and then got over it. How many other people have been discriminated against because of other things. Id like to see them try it again though.

31C

Old 09-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by vader716
I have absolutely no idea how it is the same...
It's not the same. The one thing happened to D which makes it way more important.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by RED WING NUT
It's not the same. The one thing happened to D which makes it way more important.

ahhhhhhhhhh...it is all clear now...thanks for clearing that up RWN...

Old 09-21-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by RED WING NUT
See, somebody gets it!

Now let's talk about me some more...

Old 09-21-2005, 11:17 AM
See, somebody gets it!

Now let's talk about me some more...

Sorry bout I dont think there is enough room on the server to talk about you and your ego

Quick Reply: Bad hotel stay, what would you do?