Alternative fuel options!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 07:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation Alternative fuel options!

Well seeing as gas prices have been going up steadily, and now drastically you would think that some of these alternative fuels would be making some headway now.

With the amount of money we are paying for gas, there has to be a cheaper alternative for us to use in our trucks.

Im pretty sure that if Bush made it a priority, the scientists would have a soulution in no time at all. The problem is the oil companies have everyone by their "short hairs".

Hopefully this will get some good responses here, and hopefully lead to alternative fules that will benefit us and the enviroment.
Just me 2 cents!
Trev

Old 08-31-2005, 07:17 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel and use Biodiesel!

Old 08-31-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by JJG052590
Diesel and use Biodiesel!
I see you saw that episode of trucks this past weekend.

I wish i had a diesel so i could do the Biodiesel option, but unfortunatley i think that wont stay to cheap for long as the more the demand for used oil, the more they will start to charge people for it.
Later Trev

Old 08-31-2005, 07:36 PM
Ethanol Ethanol Ethanol.

If the price of gas stabilizes at $3.00 a gallon, the relative price of ethanol makes it too attractive not to do.

-Fatz

Old 08-31-2005, 07:49 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MnFatz
Ethanol Ethanol Ethanol.

If the price of gas stabilizes at $3.00 a gallon, the relative price of ethanol makes it too attractive not to do.

-Fatz
I've been researching and thinking about building my own moonshine stil this weekend!

Only down side is that it takes 2 hours to make a gallon with the plans for a cheap stil that I am looking at building. BUt only cost 1.22 per gallon and can use corn, potatos, almost any crop!

At the bottom of the page of this link there are links to anything you could want to know about alcohol for gas, IE how to convert a carburated engine, how to make the fuel, downsides, Plans to make Stills, etc., etc.!
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me1.html

Edited to add:
That site mostly concentrates on carburated engines for tech, because all 2000 and new ford trucks are MFV (multi fuel vehicles) and many pre 2000 are too. Our computers in our trucks take care of everything for us. We dont have to do anything except poor it in. We can even run 50/50 mixtures and our computers will automatically adjust the engine for it! We are MFV (Multi Fuel Vehicles)

Last edited by PSS-Mag; 08-31-2005 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:05 PM
Are you sure about that Mag? I thought only some of our vehicles were MFV.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:08 PM
Suspended
I know a good one..

BULL****, a lot of our members on here would really benefit from it since they're FULL of BULL****.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by PSS-Mag
I've been researching and thinking about building my own moonshine stil this weekend!

HAHAHAHAHAHAA you are from the Ozarks.....

Old 08-31-2005, 08:23 PM
They make ethanol at the old Schmidt brewery in St. Paul not too far away from where I used to live. That's basically what this stuff is--moonshine! With 15% gas added.

-fatz

Old 08-31-2005, 08:26 PM
Could the 2005 F-150 5.4 liter be made to handle alterative fuel that is a interesting to find out. I know where the money is now being able to convert the engines of today so they can use alterative fuel. (but dont tell the car company )

Old 08-31-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
BULL****, a lot of our members on here would really benefit from it since they're FULL of BULL****.
I don't know, I'm leaning more towards natural gas. I think for alot of us here, 1 can of beans would produce enough natural gas to last a week minimum.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:43 PM
Banned
Yeah, actually that Trucks Episode is extremely like 6 months old!

Old 08-31-2005, 09:24 PM

Only down side is that it takes 2 hours to make a gallon with the plans for a cheap stil that I am looking at building. BUt only cost 1.22 per gallon and can use corn, potatos, almost any crop!

At the bottom of the page of this link there are links to anything you could want to know about alcohol for gas, IE how to convert a carburated engine, how to make the fuel, downsides, Plans to make Stills, etc., etc.!
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me1.html

Edited to add:
That site mostly concentrates on carburated engines for tech, because all 2000 and new ford trucks are MFV (multi fuel vehicles) and many pre 2000 are too. Our computers in our trucks take care of everything for us. We dont have to do anything except poor it in. We can even run 50/50 mixtures and our computers will automatically adjust the engine for it! We are MFV (Multi Fuel Vehicles)
Thanks for the link, that is a great site with lots of usefull information.
Later Trev

Old 08-31-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by texaspyro21
Are you sure about that Mag? I thought only some of our vehicles were MFV.
Not 100% as I am learning more. I'm really thinking about doing this for the experince if nothing else.

Best I can tell so far it's like 80% are actually considered MFV. It will say in the owners manual if yours is or not. But they are all suppose to be able to run on ethanol. Ethanol does require about 20% fuel air ratio more because of the heat difference. So logically it will lose about 20% in MPG.

That site talks all about it, how to convert a carburated vehicle, Etc, etc,. But all they do for a carburator is bore the jets out 20% larger, advance the timeing, and run it! They claim that our computers will automatically adjust for all of that. There is a few problems with a carburator that must be addressed too but fuel injection is suppose to eliminate those.

Old 08-31-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by wstahlm80
HAHAHAHAHAHAA you are from the Ozarks.....
Yea thats been my joke all week as I've been talking to various people. I tell them I'm going to be a certified Hillbilly!

May have to change my screen name to Rum Runner, moonshine, ridge runner, boot legger or something.

If it does work in the truck then I'm going to nick name my truck Rum Runner!

Quick Reply: Alternative fuel options!