Pep Boys Customer Service........Oxymoron??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pep Boys Customer Service........Oxymoron??

Ok...so here it is;

I bought Hawk HPS brake pads this last saturday for the L and was all excited about getting the new brakes installed today. After lunch, I get a call from the shop that is doing the installation telling me the front pads don't match up.
I call Pep Boys in N. Tampa to let them know what the deal is and they tell me they gave me the Lightning 5 lug pads.....ok....that is what the computer said. Come to find out, I need the 7 lug superduty pads.....keep in mind this is what they have in their computer.
So I ask the manager what he is going to do about it.....my truck is on the lift and I have no transportaion over to tampa. (I'm in St. Pete) He says he will not deliver the correct pads and if I want them, I have to go in 1/2 on a courrier service or just drive 40 minutes AGAIN to get them. I spent more than I had to on these brakes because I wanted and decent set of pads.......and now I have to return them.

Now.....I don't know about you, but that seems like ****ty customer service. He could have just had someone drop them off and I would have been satisfied. I guess he just wanted the bad publicity, because I am going to post this on every site I belong to.

Won't be doing business with Pep Boys again.
(/rant)

Last edited by shelpdoggSVT; 06-14-2005 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:15 PM
typical of pepboys.

my buddy just got a new upper radiator hose for this 90 F150 from them. was driving down the shore, 70 miles from his house, and springs a leak. turns out the hose they sold them was a bit too long, and sagged enough after it heated up and expanded a little and was rubbing against the power steering pulley or something like that, and it rubbed a hole in the hose

he had to have somebody grab his old hose out of the trash at home and drive it down to him so he could get back home to go ream pepboys a new one

i havent had much better experiences with them either....which is why i just go to advanced auto for everything now

Old 06-14-2005, 03:21 PM
You might as well just put stock pads on for now.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:37 PM
I went there to get a case of mobil1 trans oil. Noticed a gentleman (customer) at the checkout calmly waiting to finish his transaction.
I go to the back load up the oil look around a bit and make for the checkout.
I slide into line about 5th (one checkout open) and see the same guy at the register??????? OK they can't take too much longer. 10 minutes and nothing has changed except people getting pissed. Manager and another sales representitive are helping the checkout person with the same dude. Open another lane???, Tell us fools in line it will just be a moment???? NO.
Just stand behind the dumbazz checkout and suggest ways to solve the problem.
I placed the case of mobil1 on the floor and bid them a heidy ho as I went out the door and off to vato zone.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:51 PM
As helpful and cool as it would have been for them to deliver the pads to the shop, i would NEVER expect PepBoys of all places to do something like that, and really, why should they? The way he was thinking is, you should have just let them do the install.

Old 06-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Krix330cic(NJ)
As helpful and cool as it would have been for them to deliver the pads to the shop, i would NEVER expect PepBoys of all places to do something like that, and really, why should they? The way he was thinking is, you should have just let them do the install.
Which is exaclty why they have closed two of them in this county. Customer service should always be #1.......if I get p!ssed and don't come back, what are the chances others are doing the same.......no return visit means no return customers.......and that's not good business.

If it was me, I would have brought them to you just to make sure I kept your business. .....just my opinion brotha.

Old 06-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by shelpdoggSVT
Ok...so here it is;

I bought Hawk HPS brake pads this last saturday for the L and was all excited about getting the new brakes installed today. After lunch, I get a call from the shop that is doing the installation telling me the front pads don't match up.
I call Pep Boys in N. Tampa to let them know what the deal is and they tell me they gave me the Lightning 5 lug pads.....ok....that is what the computer said. Come to find out, I need the 7 lug superduty pads.....keep in mind this is what they have in their computer.
So I ask the manager what he is going to do about it.....my truck is on the lift and I have no transportaion over to tampa. (I'm in St. Pete) He says he will not deliver the correct pads and if I want them, I have to go in 1/2 on a courrier service or just drive 40 minutes AGAIN to get them. I spent more than I had to on these brakes becasue I wanted and decent set of pads.......and now I have to return them.

Now.....I don't know about you, but that seems like ****ty customer service. He could have just had someone drop them off and I would have been satisfied. I guess he just wanted the bad publicity, because I am going to post this on every site I belong to.

Won't be doing business with Pep Boys again.
(/rant)

Lord have mercy!!!
Same thing happened to me, computer said 5 lug, but I needed the 7 lug.
I went off !!!
Had to spend two more hours on the road..., he @ least sold them to me for the price of the 5 lug.

I'm done with pep boys....I guess they're just that...boys!!!

Old 06-14-2005, 04:50 PM
Which is exaclty why they have closed two of them in this county. Customer service should always be #1.......if I get p!ssed and don't come back, what are the chances others are doing the same.......no return visit means no return customers.......and that's not good business.

If it was me, I would have brought them to you just to make sure I kept your business. .....just my opinion brotha.

Oh crap! Taco bell shorted me a taco.. im gonna call, see if they can swing by with one.

Old 06-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Krix330cic(NJ)
Oh crap! Taco bell shorted me a taco.. im gonna call, see if they can swing by with one.
If a missing taco pisses you off......the wrong brakes may have sent you insane!!!

Old 06-14-2005, 05:56 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Why is it everytime Taco Bell shorts me product and I circle around the building to complain, the guy on the other end of the speaker sounds like he's talking with his mouth full?

Old 06-14-2005, 06:17 PM
Yes as you guys have found out, the Lightning gets the F250-350 brakes.

Old 06-14-2005, 06:17 PM
When buying anything from Pepboys do the research yourself and give them the part numbers. If they disagree or say they must have it in their computer, tell them the part number is what you want again. If they don't comply, walk. Giving the finger is optional.

I know so many people who have the same story as yours with different parts. Their computers are not always right. Sometimes I'm not sure whats dumber, their computers or employees.

Do the research yourself.

Old 06-14-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Raoul
Why is it everytime Taco Bell shorts me product and I circle around the building to complain, the guy on the other end of the speaker sounds like he's talking with his mouth full?

Good stuff.

Old 06-14-2005, 06:26 PM
PEP Boys employees are generally post high school kids that have been interested in cars for maybe a couple of years, have seen all of the Fast & Furious flicks, and generally act like their being behind the counter is a favor to you. At least that's the way it seems down here.

Lately, I've had better luck with Advance/Discount Auto stores.

No love lost with PEP Boys for me.

Old 06-14-2005, 06:28 PM
I had a bad experience with the local pep boys a few weeks ago, I needed rear rotors for our 01 deville I called to make sure they had them and the guy tells me no problem I will have them on the counter for you.So I put the car in the air,pull the rotors,drive 25 minutes each way to the parts store with the old rotors to match them up,thats when the guy tells me "sorry we have to order them".Now I know we all make mistakes but its how we correct them that makes a difference,they didnt care at all that they just cost me 2 hours of my day. The bad part is this was on a sunday and we needed the car to go to atlantic city the next morning,so I had to put it back together with the bad rotors.

Quick Reply: Pep Boys Customer Service........Oxymoron??