WTF is wrong with my truck?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Bighersh Alter-Ego
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF is wrong with my truck?!

Has anyone ever had this?

I'm riding along the other day, listening to 'Anthony Hamilton', truck was freshly washed, rims blinging- when all of a sudden my windshield washers just start spraying.

I thought i might have hit it by accident, but my hand wasn't close to it.. Second later: (Skeet-skeet-skeet)

So I'm thinking: Great- warranty's gone, and this is gonna cost me. Seconds later (Skeeeeeeeeet-Skeeeeeeet) Now, the wipers aren't wiping, but the sprayers are spraying... I pushed the button, the wipers came and and the sprayers sprayed.. so, I pulled it to "unstick" it.

It didn't do it for a few days. Friday, as I pulled to go to the doctor: (Skeet). And, everytime I hit the accellerator from a red light- (Skeet)

Now, granted- this doesn't mean the truck is ala' crap. But clearly, I don't want my windows washed, every time I pull off from a red light....

Anyone else have this problem?

Old 05-23-2005, 04:40 PM

Man, that's a hoot!!!

Old 05-23-2005, 04:44 PM
Try listening to a different CD.

Old 05-23-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by cia-agent
Has anyone ever had this?

I'm riding along the other day, listening to 'Anthony Hamilton', truck was freshly washed, rims blinging- when all of a sudden my windshield washers just start spraying.

I thought i might have hit it by accident, but my hand wasn't close to it.. Second later: (Skeet-skeet-skeet)

So I'm thinking: Great- warranty's gone, and this is gonna cost me. Seconds later (Skeeeeeeeeet-Skeeeeeeet) Now, the wipers aren't wiping, but the sprayers are spraying... I pushed the button, the wipers came and and the sprayers sprayed.. so, I pulled it to "unstick" it.

It didn't do it for a few days. Friday, as I pulled to go to the doctor: (Skeet). And, everytime I hit the accellerator from a red light- (Skeet)

Now, granted- this doesn't mean the truck is ala' crap. But clearly, I don't want my windows washed, every time I pull off from a red light....

Anyone else have this problem?

Sorry CIA but your story is hillarious!

Old 05-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Had something similar happen to me in my 2000 F150. After it was a couple years old, one day it started snowing (real wet snow). I was at a store and came out and started my truck. Started driving home and turned on the wipers. Nothing. Played with the switch and nothing. Then they came on by themselves with the switch in the off position. Got home, put it in the garage and turned off the truck. The heater blower was still running with the key off. Radio would still work, radar detector stayed on. Had to disconnect the battery so it wouldn't drain it. Was fine a couple of days later. Same thing happened a few months later. Same thing, disconnect battery, fine in a day or so. Then one day it was raining out and I drove home and parked it in the garage. Went out a couple of hours later to put out the garbage and the radio was playing. WTF Figured it had something to do with rain, snow, precipitation, water. Then one day I was at work and it rained while I was at work. Went to get in my truck to go home and notice water on my rubber floormat. Climb on my head under the dash with a flashlight and see water hanging on wires and stuff. Can't find where it's coming in from. Fought with this leak thing for longer than I wanted and then traded it in on the '04.

Old 05-23-2005, 08:15 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm not sure with the F150s, but with the superdutys, some years had a leaky windshield gasket and would drip on the main computer and do all kinds of crazy things.

Adrianspeeder

Old 05-23-2005, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by dzervit

Man, that's a hoot!!!

Originally Posted by Jordan not Mike
Try listening to a different CD.

AHH HAHAH! Exactly what I was thinking!

Old 05-23-2005, 08:33 PM
Happened to me whilst driving my Mom's 1989 Cadillac. Every time you put on the turn signal, the wipers would start. As soon as the turn signal went back to neutral, they would stop. I pulled the fuse to stop them & it turned out to be a shorted wire in the stalk.

Who's Anthony Hamilton??? I listen to heavy metal & I'm sure he isn't an artist of that genre...

KC-10 FE out...

Old 05-23-2005, 09:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Has it rained recently in your neck of the woods? As Adrianspeeder mentioned, water leaks at the windshield can allow water contamination into the GEM/CJB and cause all sorts of weird stuff.

Or, your multifunction switch may be going south.

Edited - Just saw you said it was just washed; start looking for leaks at the windshield. Wiggle fuses in the central junction box, look for any arcing. If you've got any compress air in a can, blow the fuse out and see if any water comes out of it.

Last edited by Quintin; 05-23-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Location: Lost some where in the middle of the Ozark Mountains!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have Herby the Love Bugs Big brother!

Old 05-23-2005, 11:19 PM
My best friend was a salesman at a Ford dealership here for a while shortly after we graduated high school.

One day, this customer of his drives up while he's standing outside smoking in the Mustang GT he had sold her, like, a week before. She parks it and gets out and he asks her if she needs anything. She says "Come here and look at this."

So they walk over to the car and she gets in, starts it up and turns on the headlamps. The headlamps, wipers, windshield squirters and horn all start working at the same time. In relating this, he told me that at first he froze, but remembered something from the Amityville Horror. He took his water bottle and threw water on the hood while yelling "I cast thee out!"

Then he took it to the service manager and they ended up replacing just about every inch of wire in the car. Turns out it had a short somewhere in the body wiring that was playing hell with...everything.

Old 05-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Bighersh Alter-Ego
So, what you guys are telling me- is I need to either:

A.) Listen to a different CD. (Done)
B.) Prepare myself to pay for a new multi-function switch
C.) Prepare myself to pay for all-new wiring.
D.) All of the above...

Man, if I have my buddy (Silverado owner) pick me up from the dealership one more time- I'm gonna be forced to get a Chevy... He swears it's better than his 2000 F-150 was.

I've never had a real problem with my F-150's & Expy's since 1999 (aside from a rear window leak around the seal). I guess there's a first time for everything...

On second thought, I can't get a GM- I know they're crap based on previous ownership.

Dodge or Nissan I guess... As soon as it started, my wife said- "We can go trade this on the 500"

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! (But it's her truck- dang it!)

Old 05-24-2005, 02:54 PM
Bighersh Alter-Ego
What's the bolt-pattern on a 2005 Ford Freestyle...

Since i drive the truck the most, she should at least get something I like!

Old 05-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by cia-agent
So, what you guys are telling me- is I need to either:

B.) Prepare myself to pay for a new multi-function switch

multifunction switch is a cheap repair. Do a search on this in electrical to get an idea of repair cost (should be around $100)

Old 05-24-2005, 02:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dzervit

Man, that's a hoot!!!

You FREAK.

Quick Reply: WTF is wrong with my truck?!