Help save Terri Schiavo!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help save Terri Schiavo!!

It's been on the news for quite a while. This woman is in the hospital, not in a coma, she can breathe, think and feel, is NOT in a vegetative state. Her husband is going to all measures to let her die, by the removal of her feeding tube. Terri's family is AGAINST this, but currently there is a bill waiting to be passed. Just three of these Florida senators need to sign it, and then her feeding tube will be re-inserted. This is an emergency, this is someone's life here we are dealing with. People on death row don't even die this fast!! Her husband is a nutcase, all he wants is her to die.

Here is a link you can click on to help keep her alive...
http://capwiz.com/sicminc/utr/2/?a=7260671&i=63316316

Just click GO, fill out your name, then hit send. If enough people can convince just three senators, then she will be able to live and it will be made as a law.

C'mon, this is not right. Please help...thank you.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Not to bash you but !!!!! I think they should let her die already. I mean come on 15 years of nothing? Plus I'm paying for this crap to be argued about? Bottom line- she cant talk, communicate in anyway, feed herself or anything. She will "live" for another 30 years like this. no changes

Bye Bye, so long, rest in peace

Edit : although I think they should just OD her on morphine to end it humainly

Last edited by ccla; 03-21-2005 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:23 PM
This is a Decision for The Immediate Family no one else's

Old 03-21-2005, 06:24 PM
http://www.terrisfight.org/ If you go there, you can watch some of the footage taken and see she is responsive...

She's not doing a thing wrong, she's not bothering anybody. If we let a person like her die, what's the sense in investing money to find a cure for cancer, what's the sense in nursing little puppies back to health, what's the sense in helping your grandma manage life after a heartattack?

Thousands of people are sick, physically or mentally, why does she have to be singled out? I think it's a damn shame if you ask me. If we let her die, what's the point of caring for anybody?

Old 03-21-2005, 06:26 PM
If you can just let an innocent person die, without taking a stand, you are just as guilty as the people who wish for her to die.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:28 PM
There was a court appointed advocate on NPR this afternoon who was charged with the responsibilty of determining if she was in a Permanant Vegistative state. He spent countless hours with her, Holding her hand, talking to her ect. He stated he was looking for ANYTHING to prove she Was NOT in that state. He stated he could find Nothing. In fact she fit the profile to a "T" of someone in this state.

You wanna live like this ?

Old 03-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Re: Help save Terri Schiavo!!

Originally posted by Ford Lariat
This woman is in the hospital, not in a coma, she can breathe, think and feel, is NOT in a vegetative state.
She can think and feel? I believe that this is being debated.

This is a touchy one. I just wish that it didn't have to be political.

The question is, should this woman live, in the state that she has for the past fifteen years, or is her husband correct when he says that her wish was not to live in this condition. The answer should come from her husband, her family and the doctors, not the government and not "we the people".

Old 03-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Re: Re: Help save Terri Schiavo!!

Originally posted by wittom
She can think and feel? I believe that this is being debated.

This is a touchy one. I just wish that it didn't have to be political.

The question is, should this woman live, in the state that she has for the past fifteen years, or is her husband correct when he says that her wish was not to live in this condition. The answer should come from her husband, her family and the doctors, not the government and not "we the people".
Agreed. Dont spend My tax dollars debating this mess.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Let her die, like she requested FIFTEEN years ago.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:40 PM
There was never anything written by Terri that she wanted to go like this.

Her mother isn't even allowed to give her an ice cube, her skin is starting to crack. Now, wouldn't you agree that if you chained up your DOG and left him without water for days and days, that the police would be on your *** for ABUSE??

Old 03-21-2005, 06:43 PM
The federal government is in no way making a decision one way or the other if she lives. They simply are giving her, or those who represent her, the ability to have access to all avenues that any convict facing the death penalty would have.

A federal court is simply reviewing the case to insure it passes all legal tests. From what I have heard it seems to pass all these legal test but who knows.

She is a vegetable and she is never coming back and will never get any better. She will never improve because a good amount of her brain is gone and turned to liquid. Unless a miracle happens and she is able to re-grow a brain what you see is what you have.

No problem with the federal courts stepping in, like they would for any convict facing death, especially since she had nothing in writing about what to do in this situation. I am willing to bet the federal court will find that everything is in order and the feeding tube remains removed…

Old 03-21-2005, 06:46 PM
MYTH: Terri is PVS (Persistent vegetative state)
FACT: The definition of PVS in Florida Statue 765.101:
Persistent vegetative state means a permanent and irreversible condition of unconsciousness in which there is:

(a) The absence of voluntary action or cognitive behavior of ANY kind.
(b) An inability to communicate or interact purposefully with the environment.

Terri's behavior does not meet the medical or statutory definition of persistent vegetative state. Terri responds to stimuli, tries to communicate verbally, follows limited commands, laughs or cries in interaction with loved ones, physically distances herself from irritating or painful stimulation and watches loved ones as they move around her. None of these behaviors are simple reflexes and are, instead, voluntary and cognitive. Though Terri has limitations, she does interact purposefully with her environment.
How can you say she never will get better? No one can predict the future, but we certainly can try to shape it.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:49 PM
MYTH: Many doctors have said that there is no hope for her.
FACT: Dr. Victor Gambone testified that he visits Terri 3 times a year. His visits last for approximately 10 minutes. He also testified, after viewing the court videotapes at Terri’s recent trial, that he was surprised to see Terri’s level of awareness. This doctor is part of a team hand-picked by her husband, Michael Schiavo, shortly before he filed to have Terri’s feeding removed. Contrary to Schiavo’s team, 14 independent medical professionals (6 of them neurologists) have given either statements or testimony that Terri is NOT in a Persistent Vegetative State. Additionally, there has never been any medical dispute of Terri’s ability to swallow. Even with this compelling evidence, Terri’s husband, Michael Schiavo, has denied any form of therapy for her for over 10 years.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:56 PM
Old 03-21-2005, 06:57 PM
”Her brain had suffered enormous damage from the heart attack. As time passed, her brain further deteriorated - to the point where much if not most of her cerebral cortex (the portion of the brain that controls conscious thought, among other things) was literally gone, replaced by spinal fluid.”
I am not stating that she should live or die. I am simply stating that unless she is able to re-grow a brain, or a big chunk that is gone, she is what she is. People can define it any way they wish, but she is not going to get better, she will never think for herself, she will never be able to care for herself, she will never be able to drive, walk or run, and she will never be able to make decisions for herself.

It would be an extremely tough decision to make because I have no idea what her actual wishes would have been. If it was my daughter I would be torn. Part of me would want to keep her alive even if I knew she would be in a state of no return. Just to have her there, to touch, hug and kiss, to just love and “remember” the good times we shared.

The other part of me would want to let her go, to be in peace and to “remember” her the way she was rather then the way she is. Very tough decision indeed…

Quick Reply: Help save Terri Schiavo!!