Dad suffered stroke

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your family and your dad will be in my prayers as well.

Old 12-31-2004, 06:07 PM
My prayers go out to your Dad, you and your Family..

PEACE !

----------------------------------------------------------

Old 12-31-2004, 08:59 PM
I'm not a big prayer person, but I know what you are going through. My father was a close friend also, he went through double strokes twice, with in 10 monthes.

I would be, and I bet a lot of other would be also, willing to send him a card if you tell us where to send it. Also give me a headsup on his sense of humor as I am usually not a serious type card sender.

dave

Old 12-31-2004, 09:58 PM
You can send them to :

Rick Coffman
3 Benmere rd
GlenBurnie, MD 21060

That's my addy. He will be with me within 72hrs I hope. As far as a sense of humor....MAJOR!! Big laughs and a even bigger heart.

UPDATE: They found 4 areas of old damage? They say he had previous mini strokes and never knew it. Probally within the past 1-4 months. They never caused damage but with the right info he maybe could of avoided this major one with the help of meds.

Old 01-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dad went thru this too. He lost his ability to speak intellegibly, and never got it back. He was a tool engineer and a complete genius...after the stroke, he didn't know what a screwdriver was for. He also could not read and that was a big blow. Sounds like your dad may come out of it better than mine did.

My dad lived for seven more years until the big one finally got him.

Your dad will hopefully have enough left to understand that therapy will work IF he works very, very hard, and has the patience not to get frustrated and give up. Do not be tempted to do things for him too much...MAKE him do things for himself.

Also...and I don't mean to be negative here or scare you, but if he has access to guns, lock them up or get them out of the house.

Then, get yourself to a doctor and get YOUR blood pressure checked and your cholesterol. I inherited my dad's propensity for strokes and the sooner you get clued in to your risks, the sooner you can take steps to prevent the same from happening to you.

Good luck to you and him.

Jim

Old 01-01-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your dad. I will send extra prayer his way for a speedy and total recovery.

Old 01-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prayer for the Sick

Omnipotent and eternal God, the everlasting Salvation of those who believe, hear us on behalf of Thy sick servant, Rick Coffman, for whom we beg the aid of Thy pitying mercy, that, with his bodily health restored, he may give thanks to Thee in Thy church. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Old 01-01-2005, 08:12 PM
ByByBird
my uncle (also aged 50) had a stroke just before xmas. he wasnt doing too good. he couldnt see and was confused. just found out they have took him off all the life support because there isnt any hope. they said he wont last the night.

Old 01-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Sorry to hear about your father. My girlfriend is a speech language pathologist and deals with these cases every single day. If you have any questions please let me know and I'll pass them on to her.

Old 01-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by lees99f150
ByByBird
my uncle (also aged 50) had a stroke just before xmas. he wasnt doing too good. he couldnt see and was confused. just found out they have took him off all the life support because there isnt any hope. they said he wont last the night.
I will say a prayer for him and the rest of your famaily.
I'm still overwealmed.....My wife is pregnent my father had this stoke. It's real hard to balance how I feel about all of this. It is a never ending roller coaster right now and it's going faster and higher every day.

Old 01-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by kamikaze2b
Sorry to hear about your father. My girlfriend is a speech language pathologist and deals with these cases every single day. If you have any questions please let me know and I'll pass them on to her.
His speech relaped a little today. They think some new swelling is the reason but it should clear up. What kind of recovery should he be expecting? Right now I'd say his speech is 15-25% of what it was. Certain sounds he cant get out and he has a ton of sluring. More noticable when he is tired.

Old 01-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Just keep working with him and encouraging him. I think one of the moost important parts of recovery is the support of those close to him. I know it seemed to help my father.

Quick Reply: Dad suffered stroke