Driveline Tech Drives Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveline Tech Drives Toyota

I am at the dealer yesterday working to find a resolution to my alignment problem and 55mph vibe. I have to show the service department that there is problem and the TSB about it. They read it. The driveline tech and I go out and look at the F150. I ask what type of car he drives, his reply is only TOYOTA. He told me that in his opinion Ford is going down hill and even though he works for them he'll not drive one. I didn't know whether to take it as a slap in the face or advice on getting this F150 the hell out of my hands. That is what irks me so much. My vibe issue will never be fixed when Ford employees refuse to drive their own products. Just for info puposes he also told me that his car had 200,000 miles on it.

Jansen

Old 10-05-2004, 08:25 PM
basically my friend that was a big Slap in the face and you should tell the service manager that you didnt appriceate his comment about a truck youve spent alot of money on to have........im sure ford is working on the problem. why wouldnt they? if they didnt nobody would buy their products anymore and theyve had virtualy the best truck around for a long time..... Ford will never go down hill

Old 10-05-2004, 08:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota are pieces of crap

Old 10-05-2004, 10:05 PM
FYI

Toyota's are not the only vehicles that get 200,000 miles. There are plenty of Ford's, Chevy's, Dodge's etc that have gotten that many miles. Also keep in mind that this was a mechanic you were talking to and if he happens to be a meticulous mechanic he could get 200,000 on any vehicle made including a Yugo.

Old 10-05-2004, 10:11 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Moved to General...

Old 10-06-2004, 01:17 AM
I am sorry but every Toyota I have had seen has been a piece of crap. On our 96 Toyota Avalon we had over 12 grand in insurance claims for every problem imaginable. I hated that car and am glad it was Totaled.

~Colby

Old 10-06-2004, 07:46 AM
jansen...The guy doesn't drive what you do. Who knows...maybe this guy was raised with Toyotas? Maybe he used to work at a Toyota dealership. All you can hope for is that he does a good job fixing your truck.
Ford hasn't been the best selling truck for all those years because they produce junk.
I used to room with a guy that was a Saab mechanic. He thought that Saabs were God's gift to the highway. Hey...It was his opinion. Me?...I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole.
Take this Tech's comments with a grain of salt.

MR

Old 10-06-2004, 12:58 PM
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But biting the hand that feeds you while you are on the clock, that's just lame.

Reinforceing the purchase opinion is a huge part of customer satisfaction. People want to feel like they made a good decision, even after the purchase.

This guy is not helping his dealer's satisfaction scores, so in effect he is costing his dealership money, as part of their pay structure is based on customer-satisfaction scores.

I wouldn't make a huge stink about it, but a gentle reminder to his manager may get this guy in line without costing him his job. Who knows, he may have a family to feed.

Old 10-06-2004, 01:08 PM
My uncle worked his way up through the service department in a Toyota dealership and is now the service manager, has been for over ten years. I can't remember him driving a Toyota since i have been old enough to notice such things. As long as he does good work on your Ford, let him drive a Toyota, he'll miss out on the F-150, his loss.

Old 10-06-2004, 01:20 PM
His comment was way out of line, and should be noted to the supervisor. His prefrence on cars is his own and does'nt affect his skills as a tech.
Techs move around almost as much as sales people. "around this area anyway"

Old 10-06-2004, 09:19 PM
I sold my 1990 Chevy Beretta with 225,000 miles on it and it still ran great Had the 3.1 V6 with 5 speed.

It's silly for ANYONE to say a certain major make like Ford, Chevy, Toyota, etc are junk. Everyone has their ups and downs...same goes for cars/trucks. All major manufacturers have very good cars and trucks. If you buy the cheapest, that's what you should expect to get...less quality. For example, I never expected the Chevy Cavalier we have to have leather everywhere and top notch fit and finish. Come on!...it's a Cavalier!...LOL Now, if you're talking about some Chinese built cars or Yugos...then you've got a legitimate gripe about them generally being junk

So anyway...as far as the tech saying that about the very vehicles he's responsible for repairing...he's a moron. My dad is one of Cincinnati's best Porsche mechanics and I grew up around shops...so I've heard stuff like this before. Trust me, the IQ, trustworthiness and knowledge of SOME techs is not always what one would expect from a so-called professional. It's one thing to have honest complaints and concerns about certain vehicles and manufacturer procedures...but it's something else when you generalize like that and say you won't drive a Ford. Maybe the monkey should go work for Toyota is he loves them so much

Last edited by lariatf150; 10-06-2004 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
First thing's first, let's clear up a common misconception: dealership employees are not Ford employees. I do not work for Ford or Lincoln-Mercury directly; I work for Mr. So and So who's the principal owner of the dealership I work for. Think of dealership employees as contractors.

And second, most dealer guys damn what they work on daily. Force of habit. Warranty times are constantly cut back every day, the cost of living is going up, and the job ain't getting any easier. I've told customers that what they're driving is, frankly, junk, and usually I've been right. Like the Crown Vic I saw with scotch tape holding fuel lines together and the gas tank flopping around in the breeze. I'm not justifying what the wrench said to you, just saying. It's one of those "you gotta be there to understand" kinda things.

And with an attitude like that coming from someone who's supposed to fix your vehicle, I wouldn't lose faith in your truck, but in your dealer. Find another one.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:29 PM
As a long time (current) Service Manager for a Ford Dealer, If any of my customer's ever told me this story about what one of my Tech's said, (and the Tech confirmed the statement) I would fire the Tech, not for his opinion, but for sharing that opinion with a customer in which we work so hard to try to please!

Old 10-07-2004, 04:35 PM
HA! I had an '03 Toyota Sequoia that was a complete POS. I traded it in after only a year and a half and 30K miles because Toyota couldn't and wouldn't fix all of the problems. I've driven Fords all my life and made the mistake of switching to try and see what "it" was all about. Biggest mistake I ever made.

Hell, my 4X4 Screw rides much better than my 4X2 "luxury" SUV.

Old 10-07-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Quintin
First thing's first, let's clear up a common misconception: dealership employees are not Ford employees. I do not work for Ford or Lincoln-Mercury directly; I work for Mr. So and So who's the principal owner of the dealership I work for. Think of dealership employees as contractors.

And second, most dealer guys damn what they work on daily. Force of habit. Warranty times are constantly cut back every day, the cost of living is going up, and the job ain't getting any easier. I've told customers that what they're driving is, frankly, junk, and usually I've been right. Like the Crown Vic I saw with scotch tape holding fuel lines together and the gas tank flopping around in the breeze. I'm not justifying what the wrench said to you, just saying. It's one of those "you gotta be there to understand" kinda things.

And with an attitude like that coming from someone who's supposed to fix your vehicle, I wouldn't lose faith in your truck, but in your dealer. Find another one.
I agree with Quint. IMO this guy dosen't give a damn about his job, I don't care how much work it is fixing your vehical, its his job. Thats what he gets paid to do. You'd think he would welcome your business, its putting food on his table. What would be the opposite? No work to do, sitting around the shop polishing your tools? He'd get layed off.

I've worked in a shop enviroment before and the techs that were most respected were the guys who knew how to get things done right and in a timely manner. If you'd bitch and complain all the time you were viewed as lazy, incompetant and lacking pride of your work.

Dude, find a different shop, I wouldn't let that poor excuse for a mechanic touch my truck if he offered to do it for free!

Quick Reply: Driveline Tech Drives Toyota