Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 01:20 PM
Bighersh Alter-Ego
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unbiased opinion: Which Diesel is best?

Powerstroke-
Cummins-
Duramax-

Of course, reading each one's literature, the all say they're the best. Based upon fact & figures (If you know where that info is) which one os the best? Which can tow more, haul more, more refined, more reliable?

There is a heated debate at work today- I'm not a diesel guy, but I'd like to know the answer.

I thought this was impressive. Pulled from the Motor Trend (Truck Trend) website.

From the article: http://www.trucktrend.com/features/t...ram/index.html
The "Ram 600" pulls as well as any pickup and might get slightly better fuel economy. With clutch engagement torque at about the same level as a Hemi's peak torque, an idling engine will get 15,000 pounds moving uphill in second gear if you feather it right (not something we recommend doing often, but it impressed us). If you four-wheel, you'll find the engine quits around 400 rpm, which we attribute to electronic controls. We should note here that the new tow rating is 16,450 pounds (best in class, so far), but GVWR remains the same at 23,000 pounds.

Last edited by cia-agent; 09-16-2004 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Read and enjoy... while it doesn't get into super techie detail about the interworkings of each engine, it does give a great overview and real-world results. 'Nuff said.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/129_0308_diesel/

Old 09-16-2004, 03:59 PM
nice link dzervit with good info!

Old 09-16-2004, 04:53 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are improvements on all three trucks for 2005 that can shift people's opinion.

My assesment from the people at RV.net is that ideally, they want the Cummins engine mated to the Allison tranny in a Ford Superduty. Each person's priorities (engine, tranny, or living space) forces the decision.

Old 09-16-2004, 05:19 PM
Ide weather be cummin the strokin

Old 09-16-2004, 09:09 PM
Bottom line, the 2005 Ford Super Duty tows more than any truck in the history of it's class, has the thickest frame of any truck in the history of it's class, has the biggest and best brakes of any truck in it's class, hauls more than any truck in the history of it's class, and other than electrical problems in the early 2003 models, the PSD is arguably the most durable diesel, over 98% of them are still on the road today, nobody else can make that claim. Strongest truck, better odds that it will stay running, my money is on the Ford, any way you look at it.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:20 PM
there is a brand new comparison test out in this months Truckin magazine.

bottom line is, the powerstroke has the lowest rated engine performance wise, and was just barely beat in a drag unloaded. but when they hooked the 9000 pound trailers up, the ford beat dodge and chevy by 4 seconds in the quarter.

the number mumbo jumbo is marketing, its tests like those that let you know how they work in the real world. if you looking for a hauler its the ford. i like the ford anyway, but them im biased since im a ford man

Old 09-16-2004, 10:11 PM
I'm not blindly brand loyal and the big three all make some solid trucks. I've had my '01 F-250 Powerstroke for about six months now. It is one hot rig and I knew it was the best truck for my money when I was shopping. I really don't like the Chevy front end design and only 2003 and newer has the Duramax. I didn't see anything I liked more on that truck over the other two. The Dodge is a nice looking truck but I question the durability of the drivetrain and quality of other parts. I'm a V8 man, so the inline six really isn't my thing even though it has good power. I don't doubt the durability of the Cummins, it's the parts around it that has me worried. The Cummins is also annoyingly loud and their auto isn't worth having.
The Ford Superduty is just THE truck to have. It's got the sexiest body and it's built Ford tough. The Powerstroke is unstoppable and smooth as silk. And I've only got the '01 which has the older 7.3 and four speed auto. The new '05 has the more powerful 6.0 with the five speed TorqShift auto. The new coil front suspension is a big improvement and the hauling/towing specs are increased. Very nice truck.

Old 09-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Not to mention built in factory installed and warrantied trailer brakes, Ford exclusive.

Old 09-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also keep in mind the Duramax is an Isuzu. The PS is a legend in its own time. I would not hesitate to buy one mated to the Lightning tranny.

Old 09-17-2004, 09:17 AM
my buisness partner has a 20041/2 dodge cummins with 600ft lb torque. empty the truck is awesome,but with a trailer it is a different story.pulling 24'enclosed car haulers the powerstroke will pull away on the long hills,but empty they are close

Old 09-17-2004, 01:20 PM
What I find interesting is the stories you hear. I read a dodge diesel boad and this one and the stories are favored to whatever truck site it is. My old man has a 96 dodge cummins. It has done him well for what he does with it. He has a neighbor that has a 97 ps. It has served him well. I actually prefer the cummins mainly because they are made to last. I wish ford would offer a cummins. I'd buy one. The dodge is just too ugly for me. Also, the test with the trucks racing with a trailer, that's just stupid. I have never fully understood that. Maybe they should compare mpg. That makes more sense to me

Old 09-17-2004, 03:42 PM
I don't know about the PowerStroke; I know it's a great engine. If I were buying, I'd get the F-350 Crewcab duallie. It looks the best to me, and the 6.0L is the quietest diesel on the road (truck wise) sold in America.

But, upon reading in the initial paragraph/article about the 350,000 miles before overhaul is required, and running 22,000 miles at wide-open-throttle, are both huge pluses.

I'd like to know how the others stack up to that.

I read an article that said the new I-6 Cummin's sounded like a dryer with a bag of rocks in it, while the V-8 Powerstroke sounds like a dryer full of BB's. Saying the PSD was far more refined; but power was about equal.

Old 09-17-2004, 10:54 PM
The PSD is actually the least-powered diesel in the 3/4 and 1 ton markets. The truck it comes in tows more and hauls more than the competition, though, so the Ford has a stronger or more efficient drivetrain, evidently. The PSD makes more torque throughout the rpm range, even though the other diesels in the class spike their torque peaks higher than the PSD, but they don't make that torque throughout the entire range, making it impossible to keep them in their powerband with any constant speed increase because you'd have to have 9 or 10 forward gears to keep it at it's peak. The PSD is only the quietest engine when it has the pilot injection, something that Ford disables when they reflash the computer on the 6.0, because it was causing more problems than it was worth, and I don't know the difference in the noise level after the reflash of the computers. The PSD was mated to the Lightning tranny, the 4R100, but now is matched to the Torqueshift, and I do believe that it's the strongest transmission ever put into a Ford. Also, the Cummins and Duramax engines have about the same maintenance intervals, but they don't make claims about over 98% of their engines still running, and the truck will fall apart long before the engine does, it's in a Dodge.

Last edited by Pickup Man; 09-17-2004 at 10:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Unbiased opinion: Which Diesel is best?