Anybody help witha peer to peer network?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody help witha peer to peer network?

I'm trying to tie in a Windows 98 machine into our peer to peer network here at work, but everyone else is using Windows 2000 Pro. I can see everyone on the network, but when I try to log on to anyone I don't get the option of username, just password, and the username that it displays has something to do with a default account. I can't remember exactly without looking, but there's always a $ involved...

Can someone please help. We hope to use this as a make shift database...

thanks...

Old 04-29-2004, 02:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Closer,

I am a firm believer in the saying, "work smarter, not harder".

I can understand you may not be able to do this, but....I would ditch the 98 OS and either upgrade to 2K or XP PRO.

When it comes to networking with WIN 98, its a pain in the butt. It can be done, its just gonna take a little patience and headaches.

Are you using a hub, switch, router to tie these machines together, or are you using a "true" peer to peer ( crossover cable from one machine to the other)?

Old 04-29-2004, 02:38 PM
forgot to ask....

Are all of the machines on the same workgroup? And did you share the drive you're trying to map?

Old 04-29-2004, 02:41 PM
We're using a router that also ties us into a cable modem.

Well, the reason I said a makeshift database is that we're having a hard time getting the boss to spring the cash for anything new since he's already purchased 2 new pieces, and several other components. One of my co-workers is building a new inventory system, and we will be putting it on there for now. If this works the boss will probably let us get something new, but this PC is pretty old, and I don't want to try any new OS... Not sure it would even handle it. I think's it's a 300MHZ, not sure on the RAM, but it can't be much...

Old 04-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Re: Anybody help witha peer to peer network?

Originally posted by closer9
I'm trying to tie in a Windows 98 machine into our peer to peer network here at work, but everyone else is using Windows 2000 Pro. I can see everyone on the network, but when I try to log on to anyone I don't get the option of username, just password, and the username that it displays has something to do with a default account. I can't remember exactly without looking, but there's always a $ involved...

Can someone please help. We hope to use this as a make shift database...

thanks...
It should be IPC$, either way, you should log on to the 98 machine with the same username as you wish to connect to the 2000 machine with. 98 doesn't have the facilities for usernames, unless it log's onto a domain. Either create an account on the 2000 box to match the logon of the 98 box, and give it permissions to the resource, or log onto the 98 box with a macthing username and password. This may not suit your needs, but is all you can do without a domain, or upgrade to 2000/XP

Old 04-29-2004, 02:49 PM
1. Make sure all PC's are on the same work group.
2. Make sure you have File and printer sharing enabled.
3. Enable netbios over TCPIP
4. Since you are using a router amd not a "true" peer to peer, make sure your not using a cross over cable.
5. Do all PC's have an internet conncetion?

Old 04-29-2004, 08:30 PM
Looks like I found the answer...

Got this from another car forum...

I'll try it in the morning...

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howt...k-ipc-error.asp

Quick Reply: Anybody help witha peer to peer network?