F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Micro tuner for Diesels

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Micro tuner for Diesels

Has anyone used this tuner ? what is the MPG before and after did it change ? Does it hurt any vital parts of the driveline with the extra horse power and torque ?

Old 03-08-2002, 01:06 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi SZAM,

Many people have used our Superchips tuning for these PSD's over the past 7-8 years. The thing to remember is that it's only the type of device that is new, the Superchip tuning is not, it's been around for 7-8 years with these Ford PSD's in the traditional Superchips chip module. Now that tuning is available in an easier to install package that you connect to your OBD-II port and upload the performance program in about 6 minutes.

Over the years, there has been no tendency shown for increase wear or a decrease in powertrain reliability, as these vehicles are significantly over-engineered, especially the engine, which was orignally made for higher power levels and then de-tuned by Ford.

The mpg gains are strictly a by-product of the Superchip tuning (though a very nice by-product, to be sure), it's not something that was designed in for that purpose, there is no such thing as a "gas mileage chip" per se. The mileage gains are seen when the motor is under a load. Superchips hired an independant test lab to show us when & how those mpg gains were happening, and what they found was that if you're just driving around town, 30-50 mph or so, unloaded, there was no gain in mpg. It's when the engine is under a load that it's more fuel efficient with the Superchip tuning, such as when you're towing, or if you're driving empty, at freeway speeds. Some people see as much as a 5 mpg gain cruising at 80 mpg on the highway. Gains when towing average about 2-3 mpg or so, roughly.

Just some quick info for you, and if you'd like to go over any of this in more detail, plase feel free to call us.

I know you're looking for comments from end users, and there are some PSD owners here, you'll also find a number of users over at the Ford-Diesel.com web site, where a lot of the PSD fans hang out.

Good luck!

Old 03-08-2002, 08:25 PM
Hi SZAM,

Check the other thread here to read my thoughts on the tuner as well as exhaust gas temps produced in the stock mode and the 60 hp mode.

But, since I posted that I have added a Jardin 3 1/2" Down Pipe and 4" exhaust. This cut my EGT's by 50 to 100 degrees and the turbo spools up much quicker. It works really well with the programer. I also tried out the 80 hp setting after installing the new exhaust. It will now light the tires up from a rolling start!

First off, you wouldn't think 20 hp would make much difference but it does.

Secondly, the programer produces no smoke and that's a really good thing in my book. I read about these big chips that produce large hp numbers but they also produce a large amount of smoke. That is a sign of over fueling. And over fueling produces excess soot which ends up in your crank case. When soot first goes into your engine it is at such a small size that it probably doesn't cause much of a problem. But as the soot collects it will bond together till it is at a large enough size to start causing engine wear but small enough that your factory full flow filter won't pick it up. It would take a by-pass filter to catch the soot.

Now as for durability. Mike's right. These are medium duty engines. They come in International 2 ton trucks of all sorts. And, this engine produces 360 hp in the marine version. It's built to take it. The only thing to watch out for is the EGT's. NEVER EXCEED 1,300 degrees preturbo!

Now the parts downstream of the engine are a different matter. Common sense tells you that with 330 hp & 655 ft/lbs of torque under your right foot you could cause some damage if you get stupid.

I would also recomend installing a pyro gauge preturbo before you buy the tuner. In my case the tuner has proven to be totally safe in the 60 hp mode but some of these trucks produce more heat that others due to the different computer programs the trucks come with. It's cheap insurance in my book. I like knowing what's going on.

Go on over to F-D.com, do a search on SCMT, rack back with your beverage of choice and prepare to spend a few hours reading about the tuner. I have and I've yet to read a negative comment.

Mark

Old 03-08-2002, 09:34 PM
Conocoan,
Where can I get the pyro gauge?? I decided to purchase the Micro Tuner next month. Please let me know. Thanks. Bugman.

Old 03-08-2002, 11:47 PM
Lightbulb Gauges

Here ya go Bugman,

http://www.dieselpage.com/

That's the link for Diesel Injection Service where I got mine. They have quite a few types to choose from with pictures of each to help you decide. I went with the Autometer Sportcomp. They match really good and the lighting is just right. VDO makes a back lit gauge but I've never seen it installed. I think they sell it too. I would also advise getting a trans gauge that starts at 100 degrees. Some start at 140 degrees which means it never moves in the winter.

I went with the 3-gauge pod from Autometer. It fits right over your existing A Pillar on the drivers side. Once it's all hooked up you can't tell it's not factory. I have the pyro, boost, & trans temp.

However, the pod comes painted black. I think DIS will paint it for you for a very low price. If not, you can buy the paint from Ford. They also have install pics and instructions on the website just incase you decide to do the install yourself. Which I did.

There are other options if you don't want to go with all three gauges. If you have a 6-speed they sell a 2-gauge pillar and they also sell a 1-gauge thingie that mounts on the steering column. It replaces the existing plastic piece. Kind of hard to explain but they have pics.

Also you can go here: http://www.ford-diesel.com/links/getsites.php3?Sponsors for some other vendors.

Happy shopping!

Old 03-09-2002, 03:36 PM
Very Cool. Thanks. Bugman.

Old 03-12-2002, 05:24 PM
Thumbs up

Bugman: Another place to look at gauges is www.westerndiesel.com That's where I got mine. That site also has lots more "stuff" for your diesel. Warning!! A lot of that stuff will lighten up your wallet! And like Conocoan said, you will need to paint the A-pillar to match your interior color but once painted, it will look stock.

Old 03-12-2002, 07:44 PM
Autometer, Ive got the three guage setup as well. Painted to match nad you cant tell it didnt come from the factory.

Old 04-01-2002, 01:47 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just FYI, we carry all the Autometer guages & accessories as well.

Quick Reply: Micro tuner for Diesels