F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Deleted anti-theft for '02??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Deleted anti-theft for '02??

I posted this at ford-diesel.com, but I might get more response if I put it here as well:

When I did my research on the F-250, pricing it out on ford.com with my options, it was on a '01 (couldn't and still can't build your own '02 right now). I knew the price range and what options I wanted.
I made my decision and went to my local Ford dealer to check out what they had. Wow, they had me exact truck with all the options I spec'd.

OK, so now I've had it for a couple of weeks and I get curious about the security alarm. According to my sticker, it has the Advanced Security System. Sounds good...but wait: what does that mean? It means I have Auto Lamp, Auto Lock and Remote Keyless entry.

So, what about an anti-theft alarm option? The SecuriLock anti-theft was Standard on the Lariat for '01, but seems to been deleted as standard on the '02.

So, what do I have?

* A "theft" light in the console is not a light after all (it doesn't light up).

* A key fob that: 1) unlocks the door 2) locks the door 3) honks when I lock it 2x 4) panic button (that works).

* A key...not a securiLock key (like my F150 Lariat was)...just a key.

Why am I upset?
1) I live in Atlanta ('nuff said),
2) What was standard on '01 Lariats is no longer standard on '02
3) for $40k you would think that Ford would put this on

OK...now that my rant is over, I'll ask this: Am I missing something here? Did Ford change the SecuriLock technology from '99 to '02 that it is just assumed that it is in place? Aren't the keys supposed to be different? Shouldn't the passive system "theft" light flash while armed? Did I (we Lariat owners?) get screwed?

Thx.

Old 10-11-2001, 02:21 PM
Arrow Before it's asked:

Before it's asked what I am talking about because your 'xx SD doesn't have it:

OK, first: SecuriLock Anti-Theft was to be standard on ALL vehicles from '99 and all F-250's under 8500# GVW (isn't that us...or is that a F-250 LD?). ( http://www.autoworld.com/news/Ford/Ford_SecuriLock.htm )

Second: Go to fordvehicles.com-->Build and Price-->Have to select the 2001 option because you cannot select a 2002-->Choose F-250 Superduty-->Crew Cab 4x4-->Lariat 6'3/4"-->see standard equipment on right side.

That's what I am talking about.

Old 10-12-2001, 09:45 AM
Talking

Have you looked into getting a nice mean looking pit bull!!! Probably would work a whole lot better too!! I didn't get the "security" system on my truck, just looked like it didn't do much. Check out the diesel board, I think I've seen products over there that do a much better job, such as some kind of power cut-out that activates when someone tries to drive the truck that shouldn't. The other reason I didn't get it is because those keys are expensive and I tend to loose more keys than you would think possible. At any given time I have a minimum of two keys on me and two in my purse. Yep, I'm that bad at loosing them

Old 10-12-2001, 03:14 PM
Arrow Heh...

I am a mean looking pit bull! I have experience with the SecuriLock and have seen it work. Yes, the keys are expensive, but if you read the ford-diesel responses, you'll see that Ford allows 3rd Party key makers to make them cheap now.

My only other option that I will consider is now going to be the LoJack system. I've seen it work...since I have a receiver in my work car

Thanks Tina...I was trying to figure out why Ford says it's standard, but it is clearly not even offered.

Old 10-12-2001, 03:23 PM
Murfster,

I have a 2000 F250 Lariat and it didn't come with anything more than what you've described getting with your truck. I bought off the lot so I never paid much attention to the "should have" list. However, I have been thinking of an aftermarket alarm/remote starter. Since you have a Low-Jack receiver in your "work car", it might be a good option for you - at least you get to "personally" track down the low-life(s) that take your truck.

Dan

Old 10-17-2001, 06:18 PM
Post The Answer

I asked the dealer about this just recently. I test drove a SD250 Lariat and it had the standard key, not the securilock key.

I asked the dealer and here is a summarized answer

The Superduty trucks do not enclude the securi-key feature. They do have that little light in the dash "Theft"

All the 99 and up F-150, F-250LD, and F-150 7700 trucks DO include the key.

So the 50 dollar keys don't come on the big trucks. Just the nice traditional keys. Which is good for me, because I always need 4 sets of keys to a vehicle... $$$$$$$$$

Old 10-17-2001, 07:43 PM
Me2

I would have agreed with you on the price, based on my F150 SecuriLock key (had to get one as well)...however, I got this from the ford-diesel.com forum on 10-11:

Originally posted by qadsan:

AND...if you need a place to buy from, the following company sells these key blanks for $18 from what I recall. They have excellent prices on genuine and OEM Ford parts. I just bought a genuine Ford pinion seal from them (probably made by Timken) for $9, which was significantly cheaper than than what the local Ford dealers wanted. They also have nice exploded parts diagrams on their web site.

http://www.fordpartsonline.com/finder.htm

This locksmith shop also sells the transponder keyblanks for our vehicles, but I don't know how much they sell them for.

http://www.accountwizard.com/clients...em&itemid=6957

Here's another place that sells the transponder keyblanks.
http://www.acclock.com/location.html

And another....
http://www.lvsales.com/transkey.htm

Seems significantly cheaper. I'm just a little fumed about Ford not even offering it on our trucks. LoJack is now installed and did some window etching. sigh...

Thanks for the dealer perspective...

Last edited by murfster; 10-17-2001 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-19-2001, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There have been some postings on ford-diesel.com and it appeared there really weren't that many people interested in PATS on their Super Duties.

The keys may be expensive and a pain to program, but it is nice to know your truck will still be where you parked it......

Old 10-19-2001, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by buschman
There have been some postings on ford-diesel.com and it appeared there really weren't that many people interested in PATS on their Super Duties.

The keys may be expensive and a pain to program, but it is nice to know your truck will still be where you parked it......
Yea, some people aren't too concerned. Wonder why? Funny though, there are plenty of threads that say: "...my PSD was stolen last night"..."...stolen F350...etc...".

They are also installing something called Cyclopse. I guess it's a shutoff circuit of some kind. I have to do some more research on that one.

For righ now: One word: "LoJack"

Quick Reply: Deleted anti-theft for '02??