F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Time for a new truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 02:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for a new truck

So I've been looking it over for the past few days and I think I may be trading up to a new F250. I'm planning on buying a large enclosed trailer next year some time and using it as a toy hauler/camper since I can't afford and don't want an actual Toy Hauler RV trailer. Plus I can use it as a portable garage for my growing pile of toys since I'm running out of room at home for them.

I would get a XL with most of the options. Even with all the options after trading in my F-150 and what I have in savings the F-250 would cost about the same month to month. The insurance would be a little bit higher but I expect that.

The truck would spend most of it's time sitting. I'm an OTR truck driver so I park my truck for 2-4 weeks at a time. I've put maybe 4000 miles on my F-150 so far this year and 1400 of it was for a trip to Tennessee. Towed a little 500lb utility trailer with my dad's two Harleys on it and my little Ninja in the bed. Total weight of the load was maybe 2500-3000 lbs with gear and us. While the truck did fine on the interstate once up to speed it was kind of sluggish on take offs and any time you wanted to pass somebody. I don't think it would be able to handle a 16-20ft long 7-8ft wide Enclosed trailer very well. Especially on longer hauls since that's what it would be used for. The 4.6 and 3.55 gears are slow on take off even when I'm just cruising around town at times. I know the big mud tires don't help any.

So far I'm looking at probably ordering a 2012 F-250 XL SCAB LB 4x4 with the 6.2L and 3.73 locker. Would have all the power options and the value package for Cruise Control. Don't have a need for neither can I afford to get a diesel. For a truck that would get less than 10k miles a year and probably only tow for a quarter of that it just isn't worth the extra cost.

Would likely take and either replace or have the stock bumpers PTM right away to get rid of the chrome. Not sure but I will also likely have them pull the Duratracs off my current truck and installed on the new one. Not sure if I could maybe get the dealer to give me something for basically handing them back a brand new set of tires. If not I can just sell them on craigslist or something. I figure I should still be good for another 15-20 k on the ones I have.

Going to go look at what dealers have on the lots next weekend when I get home. Not going to buy something unless it's exactly what I want since this one will be staying around for a long time.

Guess I'm just putting my ideas out there and seeing if others think this makes as much sense as it seems to me.

There's also the fact that I just really like the looks of the new F250/350s.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:49 AM
i have an 04 f150 with the 5.4 in it and my work truck is a brand new 250 with the 6.2. the 6.2 has plenty of power when you get into it. the only thing i dont like about it is that 1st gear will literally take you 5 feet and thats it. after that it upshifts to second. other than that love it

Old 07-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Sounds like the gasser would be a good fit for you. Plenty more power now then what everyone used in any pickup 15 years ago.

Personally I can't love the XL interior any better. Easy as a hose to do quick cleanup on the floor. No BS electric seats/windows/locks/pedals/climate controls/ect to go bad 20+ years from now. My '66 F-250's windows and locks still work fine today.

Mine did come with the XL decor package that put on the nicer headlights, but kept the black grill. Also easy as anything to swap on some towing mirrors from ebay. Went with the older style as they were cheaper and I think look better. Matched them with the old style tailights too.

Adrianspeeder

Old 07-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Took a test drive in a 2012 Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 with the 6.2 this morning. Definitely happy with the amount of power in a truck that heavy.

Decided I'm going to get the crew cab now. After actually looking at a super cab I just couldn't get one. The back seat in it looked smaller than my F-150. It's already a bit of a tight fit for adults in the back of my current truck. While I don't have passengers extremely often I've decided it would just be better to have the crew. I do use the truck for family vacations every now and then and we usually take a second vehicle now because nobody wants to sit in the back of my F150 for 400 miles. Since the purpose of this truck is to pull a trailer with our ATVs in it on vacation it's just easier to get the crew.

Dealer quoted me $37903 for 2012 F250 XL CCLB 6.2L 4x4 w/ 3.73 E-Locker. FX4, Power Equipment Group, XL Value Package(Cruise, CD player, Chrome bumpers) , Factory TBC, Upfitter Switches, Electronic Shift on the Fly, Roof Marker Lights, and Factory 5th wheel/gooseneck prep.

$3000 in Rebates if I use Ford Credit for financing, $2000 without.

The Appraiser for used vehicles was out of town for today so I'm going back on Monday to get a final number on both my 2008 F-150 and my 1993 F-250. I owe about 8.8k on the F-150 still. Hoping to get at least 14k for it. If they give me anything over 2k for the F-250 I'll be happy.

Trying to get the final OTD price down to around $30k.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:01 PM
What's the story on the '93? While I do like the superduties, I feel the older iron is a tougher truck made from steel overall.

Adrianspeeder

Old 07-29-2012, 01:51 AM
The '93 is and always has been a plow truck. Bought it 3 years ago and poured way too much money into it.

Was originally a Municipal truck and sold at auction to a private owner about 5 years ago. I picked it up when I needed a plow and couldn't mount one to my F150.

Now I've found that the floorboards are rotted out and with the unusually warm/dry winter nobody wants to buy it because the market is somewhat flooded here.

Mechanically the truck is in pretty good shape. Front drive shaft, all 4 U-Joints, front springs, passenger side header and rear main seal were done not long after purchasing it. One of the U-joints failed on the front drive shaft at 40 mph and tore up the under side. They were able to patch and save the T-case.

I've put the money into making it better, but no longer have a need for it. I am not around enough to plow even though I had fun doing it.

It's set up with a central hydraulic system. Has a pump run off the engine by a belt. Tank mounted in the bed. Uses a Western Uni-Mount 7'6" pro plow with Buyers Wings mounted on the end making it 9'2" wide. All plow hydraulics are set up to run off the on-board hydraulic system. Also has a few lines running to the back for what looks like either a hydraulic salter, dump bed insert, or lift gate. Also has all the controls/wiring to run any Western Uni-Mount Straight blade still.

It's had a rough life. I've enjoyed it while I've had it, but it's time for it to go.

Here's a picture of it on the day I brought it home. The plow has also been painted.

Name:  d6a1433a.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  96.2 KB

Last edited by 08stx4x4; 07-29-2012 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Ordered a 2012 F250 XL Crew Cab Long Bed 6.2L 4x4 today. Should have a VIN in a few weeks. 7-8 weeks estimated for delivery.

MSRP: 40,190

Dealer Invoice: 37,904

Trade:
08 F-150: 15,000
93 F-250: 1,500

TTL: 1321.87

Owed on F-150: 8,800 (8,000 by the time I take Delivery)

Rebates: 2,000(Or better if they change by Delivery)

Cash Down: 300 (It's an unusual order, they needed something)

Final price OTD: 29,225.87 (Could be less depending on how many payments I make on my F-150 before then.)

Now for the agonizing waiting game. Maybe I'll get lucky and get it sooner.

First time ever ordering a vehicle. Not happy about being forced into the chrome bumpers but I'll just have them painted. Still need to get quotes on getting the Line-X done and getting a 20% tint all all the windows.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:07 AM
Got a call from my dealer today. I now have a VIN and a Build Date. Truck is scheduled to be built September 3rd. Then it could be up to 2 weeks after that before delivery to the dealer.

Going to take a few days off work at the end of September to work on getting it set up.

I bought a can of PlastiDip today and gave it a try on the spare wheel for my trailer. Worked out pretty well and I'm happy with the finish. Since I can't afford to have the bumpers painted (I hate Chrome) or get new wheels right now I'm going to use PlastiDip as a temporary alternative.

Also going to have Line-X with Xtra sprayed as soon as I get it. Not sure yet on if I want to get it color matched or just stick with classic black. Local dealer has done both of my previous trucks along with some other miscellaneous parts for my truck/ATV as well as several other aftermarket accessories for the truck. They are going to do the entire 8ft box for $550.

Can't wait for the new truck.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds cool man. make sure to post pics up of the new truck. I love the interior of the 08+ rigs. very stylish

why not keep the 93? $1,500 for it makes it worth keeping in my eyes. You could probably get double that this winter once the snow flies

Old 08-16-2012, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tylus
sounds cool man. make sure to post pics up of the new truck. I love the interior of the 08+ rigs. very stylish

why not keep the 93? $1,500 for it makes it worth keeping in my eyes. You could probably get double that this winter once the snow flies
Because I don't have any use for it and I'm tired of it taking up space in the parking lot. It's also got 20 years of rust eating it. The exhaust fell apart over winter, made for an interesting drive on the way to the dealer. I had the radio maxed out and I could still barely hear it. Did sound pretty awesome though when I stomped on the gas getting on the interstate. That 351 still runs strong and sounds awesome with no exhaust. Got some strange looks from people when I would pass them.

Besides the exhaust, the cab is rotting apart underneath, the floor boards are almost completely gone.

At some point in the future I wouldn't mind picking up another F-250 in that body style. They just look exactly how a truck should as far as I'm concerned.

Also, over the years with all the assorted plow equipment that has been added and removed it's got hole cut and random wires running everywhere. I don't have the time or money to put into trying to make it whole again.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:56 AM
Well it's here. Dealer had it delivered today. I have 3 more days of work before I am going to be able to pick it up. Should have it some time on Monday. It's been a long 2 months waiting.

Will post pictures when I take delivery.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Awesome. Too bad ya weren't closer. I'da bought that for 1500. Straight pipe, farm plate, plowin' with a vengeance!

Adrianspeeder

Old 09-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Well my dad went by the dealer today to drop off the ford credit app so I can get the extra $1k rebate. Going to refinance after the first payment.

While he was there he took a few pics for me since I won't be home to pick it up until Monday.

Going to paint the bumpers and wheels with PlastiDip after I pick it up. Also going to be swapping the new tires for the DuraTracs mounted on my F150 right now.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Hell yeah!, black out the chrome, tint the windows, bolt in a six speed, and I'd run that rig.

Adrianspeeder

Old 09-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
Hell yeah!, black out the chrome, tint the windows, bolt in a six speed, and I'd run that rig.

Adrianspeeder
Blacking out chrome is going to be done on Monday afternoon. I was not happy that the dealer would not swap out the chrome bumpers before I took delivery. The only reason I have them is because I wanted cruise control. I don't know why Cruise Control is dependant on chrome bumpers but w/e.

Going to do 20% tint all around except windshield some time later in the week.

Quick Reply: Time for a new truck