F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

6.0 safe mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black ice smelly trees are the bomb!! lol im getting a 03 6.0 very shortly and this forum really helped me out. im excited for diesel, but not for the expensive problems.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:56 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
You get that Carfax and OASIS yet?

Old 11-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Some people do things, and some people just talk about doing things.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by glc
if your talking about me, yea i had a carfax from the guy i bought the truck from. got the oasis from a member on here.

anyways, cut my cat and muffler out. truck sounds much better, except now my mileage has dropped.

now im looking into a 3" or 3 1/2" lift and plan on running 35/12.5 on stock rims. probly end up with a 3" rough country since it comes with shocks and is pretty cheap. truck has nearly 90k on stock shocks so for the cost of just shocks the extra $150 i can lift it 3". wont be for a few months since i have some parts i need for my toyota, to get it ready for paint

Last edited by 06yz250f; 02-18-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:31 PM
glc
Nope - talking to crums.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:09 PM
glc- i havnt had the time yet, but im going to very soon, i sold my truck and am ready to get this f350 but am waiting on the check for mine to help pay for the diesel. i got a question,the trucks got a superchips tuner, and he said that when it starts its a little choppy because the tunes telling the motor to put in more fuel, is this right or is there something else that has to do with it? you have to hold the starter on till the motor actually starts firing all the way, but after that it runs absolutley perfect. so if you could help that would be great.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by crums440
glc- i havnt had the time yet, but im going to very soon, i sold my truck and am ready to get this f350 but am waiting on the check for mine to help pay for the diesel. i got a question,the trucks got a superchips tuner, and he said that when it starts its a little choppy because the tunes telling the motor to put in more fuel, is this right or is there something else that has to do with it? you have to hold the starter on till the motor actually starts firing all the way, but after that it runs absolutley perfect. so if you could help that would be great.
You shouldnt have to hold the key unitl the engine is running mine will fire after a couple cranks and when its cold and I dont plug it in it doesnt take more than a few cranks to get it to fire. As far as what he is telling you about it loping when you start it that sounds like bad injectors. When you start the truck for the first time does it blow alot of blue smoke?

Old 11-06-2009, 08:05 PM
no it doesnt blow any smoke from the start, like you said with the not having to hold the key, idk for sure if you have to hold it or wat because i never tried just turning the key and not holding it, if it was injectors, wouldnt it have trouble running? because once it starts it runs just as clean as another diesel would run. it just takes like 4 cranks before it fires. and that was when it was cold, and it wasnt plugged in. do they come stock with a plug in heater?

Old 11-06-2009, 08:12 PM
glc
Try turning the key on, and WAIT for about 15 seconds to let the glow plugs warm up.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:16 PM
yeah i did that, im not stupid, ive ran many diesels before. but if it was bad injectors, wouldnt it not run right? because this is only when it starts that its a little choopy sounding till like 4 seconds pass and then from there on it runs perfect.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:52 PM
glc
It might need one or more new glow plugs.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:04 PM
how hard are glow plugs to replace? ive never done it one a pickup diesel, but ive done it one numerous pieces of farm equipment.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:07 PM
They are under the valve covers...

Old 11-06-2009, 11:28 PM
so hard? lol ive never worked on a pickup diesel so idk how hard it is to get at them.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by FL4X4
I would say the only safe mod is exhaust/intake. But of course no mods are safe to stay under warranty, depending on how mod friendly the tech is who looks at your truck.

All my truck has is exhaust with an sct tune. I use the sct pre-programmed performance tune on the sf3, its no where near as drastic as the piston melter custom tunes people like to use which destroy 6.0s. Been running it for about 10000 miles with stock head bolts with zero problems(knock on wood). But of course I don't flog the crap out of my truck either and I keep an eye all on my gauges(exhaust, oil, coolant, trans temps).

One thing people forget is that 6.0s go through head gaskets, egr coolers, FICM's, injectors, etc, on a bone stock truck. Mods aren't always necessarily the cause.

Btw 06yz250f depending on how updated your flash is on your pcm you'll never be able to blow black smoke with out some kind of performance tune.
Originally Posted by BamaSixGun
From my experience with my 6.0, you can have problems whether you are bone stock or you have done numerous mods to it.

I had to have the EGR cooler replaced twice when bone stock and once with an aftermarket tuner and exhaust. I do not believe those mods had anything to do with the EGR cooler going bad the 3rd. time.

When I did have a K&N filter kit on my truck, I do believe that it lead to turbo damage by not filtering enough of the finer particles and it dusted the turbo. The stock filter system does an incredible job at filtering and still giving the 6.0 plenty off air to breath with. If you are trying to put out about 500+ HP, then you would probably wanna do a good proven aftermarket air intake system.

It all boils down to this in my opinion. If you wanna keep your truck bone stock, do so and that is OK, but don't knock what you don't know about or have any experience with firsthand.

If you wanna make your truck the baddest mother on the planet and do all kinds of mods to it, that is OK too. Just be prepared to PAY if you PLAY.

I have chosen to play a little bit. It has been costly at times, but has also been fun and educating.

I guess I can thank my Daddy for the HOT ROD genes from his younger days of building engines and drag racing cars.

Lets just all get along and try to help each other out when we have problems with
our trucks. Getting into slamming matches with each other doesn't do anyone any good.
Fl4x4 and bama,
Knowing all the problems of these 6.0 what would be your choice or replacement parts i.e name brand of gaskets,are stock coolers as good as aftermarket,
I have a feeling that mine is about to let go.(water in the oil) But I can't complain its been a good one with 145000 miles on her!! I was waiting on her to let go so I can play a little!!
Heres what I plan on doing: H-11 or arp studs, 03 turbo, new gaskets, egr delete and if injectors and glow plugs are bad replacing them.(lets hope not but mind as well if the engine is torn apart.)
Another thing is when they rework your motor do they valve and port it as well?
Also I'm looking for some one to do this and don't trust any one around here-any contacts or leads would be appreciated(as long as they are no more then 300 to 500 miles away)
If you guys could help me out on this I would be greatly obliged. And sorry for hijacking this post, just need a little 411
Thanks, justin

Last edited by Deereman; 11-19-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 6.0 safe mods